Backup for non-root user - My Backup Pro and N4 Tool Kit

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have not rooted my phone, so I cannot use Titanium, but would like a way to back up and restore my phone. Other than Titanium I have seen references to My Backup Pro, and the Nexus 4 Tool Kit (from XDA-Dev). Are either of these suggested? I will probably root at some point, and it is my understanding I will need the Tool Kit to do so, plus it seems to a collection of utilities that would probably be worth my time to explore. Has anyone used either of these? FWIW, I'm a new Android user, so I want to really learn as much as I can about Android before doing any heavy tinkering. (So far, that's involved doing a lot of reading here!)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I rooted with N4 Toolkit and saw the option for backing up. I haven't used it yet as I was trying to use titanium back up to restore my settings from my old phone which didn't prove to be easy. A good backup system is sorely lacking in Android. I have also recently downloaded My Backup Root but haven't tried it yet. Will let you know how it goes.

If you want to try rooting, I followed this video which worked pretty well. The only thing not noted was how to open up the Developer Options in order to turn on USB debugging. You need to go to settings/about then click 5 times on the build number to unlock this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FVux08lhE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Looks like I need to be rooted to use the N4 toolkit backup. The rooting process looks straightforward, but he does not cover how to unlock the bootloader first. Although, their Youtube channel has a lot of great videos.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Looks like I need to be rooted to use the N4 toolkit backup. The rooting process looks straightforward, but he does not cover how to unlock the bootloader first. Although, their Youtube channel has a lot of great videos.
If you take a look at the link below we have an excellent rooting guide right here at Android Central by one of our own AC Advisors. If you run into problems I'm confident that either Advisor 2defmouze or one of our talented members will help you out ;)

[h=3][GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Unlock & Root[/h]

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'll take a look at that tomorrow, as I've been looking at several other tutorials this evening. It strikes me as odd that one needs to be rooted to properly back up their phone. I'm a little hesitant to unlock and root my phone since this is my first time using Android. It seems a little more complex than when I performed a jailbreak on my iPhone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I'll take a look at that tomorrow, as I've been looking at several other tutorials this evening. It strikes me as odd that one needs to be rooted to properly back up their phone. I'm a little hesitant to unlock and root my phone since this is my first time using Android. It seems a little more complex than when I performed a jailbreak on my iPhone.
That video goes over unlocking your bootloader first. The N4 Toolkit does that too. You don't have to be rooted to open the toolkit program. Just download the main program and the drivers and you will be good to go. I found this process a bit easier than the one on AC but 2Def is an awesome guy to ask for help.

And agree about the backing up thing.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's simple, but in the video you posted it does not cover unlocking the bootloader. Well, it shows how to do it from the menu, and what to select, but he states he already did it and covered it in a previous video (which I haven't found yet).

I have been watching some of his Android Poweruser videos, which help to explain many other things. I'll go back and review the rooting guide in the N4 Rooting forum as well.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's simple, but in the video you posted it does not cover unlocking the bootloader. Well, it shows how to do it from the menu, and what to select, but he states he already did it and covered it in a previous video (which I haven't found yet).

I have been watching some of his Android Poweruser videos, which help to explain many other things. I'll go back and review the rooting guide in the N4 Rooting forum as well.
Once you click on it in the menu you get instructions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non