"Ignore" Call keeps ringing

robert221usa

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey all -

Whenever I get a call and have to make that choice to go red or green (accept or ignore) the call when I chose Red the call stops ringing for a second but then comes back - so if I "ignore" it on ring 1 I will hear rings 3 and 4 - is there a way to just chose red and have the call stop rining or something else that will have the same effect?

I do not want to send callers to VM automatically - just want to stop the ringing and if I am using my phone for me to get back to what i was doing (reading in chrome or whatever) without the phone ringing and the screen going back to the call screen so I have to do it again.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The N4 handbook says (on page 49), "To silence the ringer before answering the call, press the Volume Down button on the side of your phone."

Is that what you are looking for? It does not seem possible to decline a call without automatically sending it to voicemail.

robert221usa

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all - will try those options as the next few calls roll in.

For me it is more then just silencing the phone. If I am reading an article and a call comes in the screen changes to the incoming call screen - I chose "ignore" and I am taking back to what I was doing (say reading an article in chrome). Then a few seconds later the screen goes back to the incoming call screen - again interrupted on the same call I said to ignore.

Just annoying when trying to do something else with the phone like send a text and I keep getting interrupted visually (as well as the ringtone) even after I said "ignore"

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting... The Nexus 4 handbook very clearly says to press the Volume Down button.
it also works with power button. but the difference is when you press power the screen will go black (it will still ring silent)
volume down wont make the screen to go black. I guess there are two options here. whatever works for individual

the reason why i use power button is i usually silent the call and place it on my pocket, power would prevent from accident call accept.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all - will try those options as the next few calls roll in.

For me it is more then just silencing the phone. If I am reading an article and a call comes in the screen changes to the incoming call screen - I chose "ignore" and I am taking back to what I was doing (say reading an article in chrome). Then a few seconds later the screen goes back to the incoming call screen - again interrupted on the same call I said to ignore.

Just annoying when trying to do something else with the phone like send a text and I keep getting interrupted visually (as well as the ringtone) even after I said "ignore"

I don't know why this would happen unless - this is just a guess - you have disabled your voicemail account. With no place to send the ignored call, maybe the phone rings it back to you.

If this is the case, instead of totally disabling voicemail, see if there is an option to have it answer, play a message ("Sorry I am not able to take your call, please try later") and then disconnect without offering to take a message. Many voicemail systems will do this; not sure about your carrier's.