NO DATA with Straight Talk AT&T SIM

luvboox

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
My very cool wife bought me a Nexus 4 for Christmas, and an AT&T Micro-SIM to go with it. I loaded up a $45 plan and got everything ready to go. It took about 18 hours (just let me go, Virgin Mobile!) for the phone number to port over, but finally I was able to make calls.

But no data ever showed up. I tried tweaking the APN settings to everything I could find on the internet. I tried to call Straight Talk, but after being on hold for an hour with no response, I hung up. I have submitted a ticket through their FB page, but the response (after several hours) didn't encourage me - it left me wondering if they could actually read what I wrote.

So is there any hope for me, or do I need a new SIM? I can send and receive texts, but I get no data. If I use the wap.cingular APN I get a very slow and broken (basically unusable) data connection, but with att.mvno I get nothing. Removing proxies and ports does nothing either. I know people around me are using AT&T Straight Talk data, so I know I'm not in a no-service area, and it doesn't work at home or at work.

My data is enabled, I have tried the default settings, I have deleted the entire APN and started over, etc.

Any ideas?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you try these Support | Straight Talk settings?

Make sure you restart your phone after changing APN settings.

Power on
Hold power button untio menu appears; select Power Off and then OK
Hold power button 5 seconds until haptic feedback; let go. Phone will reboot.

luvboox

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you try these Support | Straight Talk settings?

Make sure you restart your phone after changing APN settings.

Power on
Hold power button untio menu appears; select Power Off and then OK
Hold power button 5 seconds until haptic feedback; let go. Phone will reboot.

Yes, those were the first settings I tried. I rebooted after every combination of settings I tried as well. I probably rebooted my phone 50 times in the last couple days.

luvboox

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think I got it working. I had to set it like this:

Name: (doesn't matter)
APN: wap.tracphone
Proxy: blank
Port: blank
Username: blank
Password: blank
Server: cingulargprs.com
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: blank
APN Type: blank

luvboox

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
What exactly did you have to change from the ST given settings? I'm having the same issue but with the T-Mobile SIM for ST (http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...le-data-straight-talk-t-mobile-nexus-4-a.html).

If you are on the T-Mobile SIM, then the APN settings will be different. However, one tip I can give you is to give each setting time. I used the settings that work yesterday, but the connection was so bad that I figured the settings were wrong. Today, with the same settings, I actually have viable data, even if it is still slow. I think the quality of the signal is just poor in this area.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think I got it working. I had to set it like this:

Name: (doesn't matter)
APN: wap.tracphone
Proxy: blank
Port: blank
Username: blank
Password: blank
Server: cingulargprs.com
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: blank
APN Type: blank

As someone pointed out in another thread, "tracphone" should almost certainly be spelled "tracfone".

Check it out.

shawnjacobs

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If you are on the T-Mobile SIM, then the APN settings will be different. However, one tip I can give you is to give each setting time. I used the settings that work yesterday, but the connection was so bad that I figured the settings were wrong. Today, with the same settings, I actually have viable data, even if it is still slow. I think the quality of the signal is just poor in this area.

Yeah, I know the APN settings will be different. I just want to know which settings you deviated on from the instructed settings. :)

impala79

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My very cool wife bought me a Nexus 4 for Christmas, and an AT&T Micro-SIM to go with it. I loaded up a $45 plan and got everything ready to go. It took about 18 hours (just let me go, Virgin Mobile!) for the phone number to port over, but finally I was able to make calls.

But no data ever showed up. I tried tweaking the APN settings to everything I could find on the internet. I tried to call Straight Talk, but after being on hold for an hour with no response, I hung up. I have submitted a ticket through their FB page, but the response (after several hours) didn't encourage me - it left me wondering if they could actually read what I wrote.

So is there any hope for me, or do I need a new SIM? I can send and receive texts, but I get no data. If I use the wap.cingular APN I get a very slow and broken (basically unusable) data connection, but with att.mvno I get nothing. Removing proxies and ports does nothing either. I know people around me are using AT&T Straight Talk data, so I know I'm not in a no-service area, and it doesn't work at home or at work.

My data is enabled, I have tried the default settings, I have deleted the entire APN and started over, etc.

Any ideas?

Here's what I did on a brand new Nexus 4.
  1. Delete existing APN (there was an AT&T one in there by default)
  2. Add a new Straight Talk APN, using the one suggested in the Straight Talk documentation, except I left Proxy and Port blank.
  3. Menu => Save APN
  4. After about 10 seconds, with no restart required, I was connected.
Note that this is my second Nexus 4. The first one I returned because after following the above steps, I'd get a data connection that would last about a minute, then go away. The only way to get it back was a restart, only to have it last another minute before dropping again. So, if you've got a decent number of bars of reception, and you've got an AT&T Straight Talk SIM, and you're using the APN they provide (with our without Proxy and Port... those seem to just slow the connection and make SpeedTest unusable), and you still have no data, you may have a broken phone like i did.

EDIT: I see you said that no data ever showed up. On my broken phone, I got data momentarily... Definitely double check that your APN is att.mvno, and that Proxy and Port are blank. Also, I forgot to mention I set APN Type to default,supl,mms I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I have a solid data connection with them in there.

piece0fpi

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
As someone pointed out in another thread, "tracphone" should almost certainly be spelled "tracfone".

Check it out.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say that I FINALLY got data and *some* mms working. Unfortunately plain old group texts are not working (from iPhone and Android). I can send them no problem but I can't receive them. Any ideas on how I might go to fix that? Thanks!