YouTube app and wifi

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I noticed after the most recent update videos will stop and buffer every few seconds making it impossible to watch while on WiFi. If I switch to hspa it works just fine. Both connections are 20mbps or higher so I don't think its a speed issue. Anybody else seeing this on their N4?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Tabs85

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I noticed after the most recent update videos will stop and buffer every few seconds making it impossible to watch while on WiFi. If I switch to hspa it works just fine. Both connections are 20mbps or higher so I don't think its a speed issue. Anybody else seeing this on their N4?

No, its works fine for me, but I do notice that the every once in a while the youtube app itself can be a bit iffy on this phone for me. Like sometimes it just says connection error and I have to hit "retry" 4-5 times before it loads the youtube page :-/

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is so strange. This morning the exact same video will play fine on WiFi. Did a speed test and it is almost identical to the results I got last night. I have not rebooted my phone either...

strider2

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I watch a lot of youtube videos on wifi. Never had the buffering issue. Also played once or twice on HSPA. Never had problems there also.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Not on an N4 but I have been having problems with buffering in general on YouTube HD on what I suspect are high activity nights (weekend evenings for example). It used to be just wifi via cable modem bit lately has been impacting even via Verizon LTE.

Sent from my Droid DNA

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you have YouTube problems with other computers on your wifi network?

Funny thing is I can play YouTube HD videos flawlessly on my Nexus 4 with a 3Mbps T-Mobile HSPA connection but at the very same time YouTube will buffer heavily with the same video on my 40Mbps DSL connection on either the Nexus 4, my iPad or any computer on my local network. My ISP really chokes hard when it comes to playing HD videos on YouTube at certain times of the day.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I see this issue across the N4 and other devices, especially during high traffic periods. It seems to come and go. Some weeks it's horrible to use WiFi for YouTube, other times it's absolutely fine. Who knows. It could be a server thing on Google's end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38