Want to port# from VZW to ST; But I'm on Family Plan

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,
So I've been a long time VZW customer and when the N4 was coming out last November, it was the perfect opportunity to get out of VZW's way too overpriced plans for good and also get a great new phone. I've tried the TMo prepaid plan for 2 months and signal at work was slim to none. This month I've tried ST AT&T and a lot better. So far, no "odd" throttling going on :)

I want to keep my old#, but have been waiting to port it from VZW until I landed on a plan I want to stick with. I want to start the process of porting from VZW to ST, but am concerned that since my wife and I have a VZW Family Plan and I'm the "primary" account holder, what will happen to the plan/her when I port the #? Will the plan stay the same, just now with one person on it? Will the account get killed off because I'm the primary account holder name/cell phone#?? My wife has an iPhone and knows that I want to jump ship out of VZW and she's fine going somewhere else too. But there's no hurry for her and am just worried that VZW will either kill the account all-together maybe or mess it up big time.

Any info/experiences would be great! Thanks so much :)

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Call customer service.

My husband and I ported two numbers out of a Sprint family plan at different times. We had the same concerns. We called and they told us it didn't matter which one we ported first. (We still ported the secondary line first.) The customer service representative was surprisingly knowledgeable about the process - so I'm guessing this is becoming common, and shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Call customer service.

My husband and I ported two numbers out of a Sprint family plan at different times. We had the same concerns. We called and they told us it didn't matter which one we ported first. (We still ported the secondary line first.) The customer service representative was surprisingly knowledgeable about the process - so I'm guessing this is becoming common, and shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the information. I will be doing the same shortly.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I will be doing the same shortly.

One other thing... I don't know about Verizon, but for Sprint there was an account password/pin we needed to complete the port. This was not the online password. Sprint emailed it to us when we told them we were going to port the numbers out. It was an eight digit numeric pin that I had no memory of every setting up or using.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been a longtime VZW customer and have 3 lines on an old family plan with 700 shared minutes(unlimited data). I loved my LTE gnex but I too saw a golden opportunity to save a lot of money and still have an awesome device. My Mom has not yet decided what she wants to do. I certainly didn't want to just leave her high and dry. She's adimant about keeping her phone number, but in a few weeks hasn't done anything. I can research plans but I cannot actually sign her up for one myself lol. So it became a "you don't have to go but you can't stay here" situation. The short term solution was to make her an authorized user (or whatever they call it) and give her the account number and account passoword (mine's four digits). Once I recieve my Tmobile activation kits tonight, I will activate and port the two lines from VZW leaving my Mom the sole number on the account. Now, this will apply to your wife. Since it's now just one line my Mom cannot stay on the family plan. They'll move her to their basic dumbphone plan at $39.99 essentially creating a new account and closing mine down. Since you pay a month in advance VZW will send me a check for the unused portion of my billing cycle and will now just bill my Mom. That is until she gets on the ball and leaves for a AAA members plan that offers more for $10 per month (dumbphone).

If the math works out to keep the family plan, perhaps you could just add line for the $10 and make your wife's the primary. If it's an old plan I'm sure that's cheaper that their new ones.

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I ported my number from VZW to TMo and I was also on a family plan.

Doesn't make a difference what plan you were on.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Con... Yea, that's what I thought that when I port, my wife can't stay on the Family Plan anymore since it's just her. Also, yea it's an old Family Plan, so we have the "grandfathered" unlimited data, but no biggie since she never uses that much in reality. And thus, why I'm trying to get her to move off too since we both can be on a prepaid acct and save ~$60/month easy.

Kaenon, when you made the switch, was any other family member(s) still on the Family Plan? I know I can do it, but just wondering how it will affect my wife/the account, since again, my name/cell# is the "primary" account holder on it. Like Con mentioned, I can switch to have her be the primary account holder now.

Thanks guys!

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
When I ported my number to T-Mobile prepaid last week from USCellular, the next time I logged into my account on USCellular.com all it did was ask which remaining number I wanted to set as the new "primary" number.

I would think the bigger carriers would do something similar as well.

Very smooth transition actually.

PostmanPat

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
One other thing... I don't know about Verizon, but for Sprint there was an account password/pin we needed to complete the port. This was not the online password. Sprint emailed it to us when we told them we were going to port the numbers out. It was an eight digit numeric pin that I had no memory of every setting up or using.

I recently closed a family account with Verizon porting one of the numbers to Google Voice and the other to T-Mobile, you can call Verizon Customer Service and tell them you're porting your number and need the PIN, they gave me the number over the phone after answering some security questions. HTH.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently closed a family account with Verizon porting one of the numbers to Google Voice and the other to T-Mobile, you can call Verizon Customer Service and tell them you're porting your number and need the PIN, they gave me the number over the phone after answering some security questions. HTH.

This is the ultimate permanent solution - port it over to GV and be done with it forever. Then, you can change carriers any old time you want and use any number they give you and never have to worry about it.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
This is the ultimate permanent solution - port it over to GV and be done with it forever. Then, you can change carriers any old time you want and use any number they give you and never have to worry about it.

I'd love to, but the whole GV/no MMS support is the only reason why I never will. Too many pics I send/receive (mostly receive) that I can't do without.. FU Google, fix the stupid thing already! C'mon already!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89