Nexus 5 (16GB and 32GB) for $399/ $449 with LTE and 5.5" screen

What do you think of the price ($399/$449) if it is indeed true?

• Total voters

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Will never buy any LGarbage phone again.
Are you just browsing the N4 forum, or are you an owner?

My last LG phone was the G2x, and I think one would be hard pressed to find a phone from LG that suffered from more design flaws, failed promises, and support.

The *only* reason I picked up the N4 is Google's input, because I have a tremendous amount of confidence in the impact they can have on a product when they are directly involved. And the N4, while it doesn't officially support LTE (though I have T-mo HSPA+ and am fine with 15MBps down, 2MBps up), it's easily the best phone I've ever owned among its contemporaries.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you just browsing the N4 forum, or are you an owner?

My last LG phone was the G2x, and I think one would be hard pressed to find a phone from LG that suffered from more design flaws, failed promises, and support.

The *only* reason I picked up the N4 is Google's input, because I have a tremendous amount of confidence in the impact they can have on a product when they are directly involved. And the N4, while it doesn't officially support LTE (though I have T-mo HSPA+ and am fine with 15MBps down, 2MBps up), it's easily the best phone I've ever owned among its contemporaries.

No, im a owner, ordered day one.

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I say the price is good, and the size is good for people with bigger hands, like me. I have the S3, and it is fine for size, and I have a friend with the RAZR M, and he thinks that my phone makes his seem tiny. I have multiple friends with iPhones, and they all say my phone is too big. Coming from an iPhone to the Galaxy S3, I tell them that they are missing out. I wanted a big screen. I know many people that want the big screen. My uncle drives a Semi Truck, and has the Galaxy Note 2. He uses a headset, so it isn't a problem for him. It all depends on personal preference.

Plazmic Flame

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I really hope that the Nexus 5 stays at 4.7-5.0 inches. There is no reason for them to enter the phablet space. Some people still want a phone.

I do hope that that it has a 3,000+ mAh battery though.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
The nexus 4 has only been out what, 4 months and we are already assuming specs and manufacturer? Just chill. Don't worry about it. We don't know LG is the one the next time. Also, if they make it that big I wouldn't buy it. 5.5 inch is too big that's phablet territory. I don't know why there is a trend in making phones big again. 4.7 inches is big enough. I'd rather them work on better hardware instead of bigger screens.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The nexus 4 has only been out what, 4 months and we are already assuming specs and manufacturer? Just chill. Don't worry about it. We don't know LG is the one the next time. Also, if they make it that big I wouldn't buy it. 5.5 inch is too big that's phablet territory. I don't know why there is a trend in making phones big again. 4.7 inches is big enough. I'd rather them work on better hardware instead of bigger screens.

One thing you seem to be missing. Its the larger screens that those larger screens that in part make a larger overall size of a device that allows for the faster processor, more RAM, NFC, wireless charging and other goodies. Larger phones are here to stay you can either embrace that or deal with not having all of that stuff or a fat phone like the Lumia 920

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
If they price the next Nexus phone that high, they'll price themselves out. At $349 for the 16GB for an unlocked, no contract phone, that's as about as high as it should be. It's the perfect price point in my opinion. In fact, it should be 32GB for $349 and 16GB for $299 for the Nexus 5. The highest 2 year contract phone is $299 and they go down from there.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
One thing you seem to be missing. Its the larger screens that those larger screens that in part make a larger overall size of a device that allows for the faster processor, more RAM, NFC, wireless charging and other goodies. Larger phones are here to stay you can either embrace that or deal with not having all of that stuff or a fat phone like the Lumia 920

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

So you're saying it's necessary to make the phone bigger in order to put better specs in like faster processor, more RAM, etc.? That's not true. Plenty of electronics are small that pack the punch. There's no truth to that statement.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If they price the next Nexus phone that high, they'll price themselves out. At $349 for the 16GB for an unlocked, no contract phone, that's as about as high as it should be. It's the perfect price point in my opinion. In fact, it should be 32GB for $349 and 16GB for $299 for the Nexus 5. The highest 2 year contract phone is $299 and they go down from there.

You do understand that you pay full retail, $600-700, for your "$200-300" contract phone, over the life of your contract, right? That $300 "price" is an illusion. And an unlocked 64gb phone at $400 would be an awesome bargain.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying it's necessary to make the phone bigger in order to put better specs in like faster processor, more RAM, etc.? That's not true. Plenty of electronics are small that pack the punch. There's no truth to that statement.

Actually I was talking goodies like nfc and wireless charging mainly but yes the SOC (system on a chip ) are getting bigger as well. There is also a difference in bring able to do something and bring able to do something large scale and at an affordable price. Its a fact that miniaturization costs more. You may not agree with me but please don't tell me what I am saying is false.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand your point. You can get a Nexus 4 on-contract for $49. There's a difference between unlocked and on-contract. That same $299 on-contract phone is $699 unlocked. So Nexus phones are bargains; half the price.

BookReader2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The phablet Nexus will be complementary to the main Nexus line.

Someone used the example of the Note II (phablet) to the Galaxy S3 (main flagship).

I don't see why Google can't sell 2 smartphones at the same time targeting two different markets: Main Flagship (4.7-4.8") and the Phablet Niche (5.5")

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand your point. You can get a Nexus 4 on-contract for $49. There's a difference between unlocked and on-contract. That same $299 on-contract phone is $699 unlocked. So Nexus phones are bargains; half the price.

Yeah but the Galaxy S4 was just priced at $249 on contract on AT&T. That's good competition to a Nexus priced at $349

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but the Galaxy S4 was just priced at $249 on contract on AT&T. That's good competition to a Nexus priced at $349

What? You can't compare the price of an on-contract phone to the price of an unlocked phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez