Incredible battery life

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My last charge just lasted me 2 days 5h 30mins with 3h30mins of on screen time... That is way more than it used to last me before with the same usage! Looks like they have fixed the idle drain quite a bit then.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Today my fifth full day with my new Nexus 4, like I said been getting pretty darn good battery life each day, around 15 hours total battery life and 5h On Screen time.

Well was surprised to see the red alert battery life go off at 5:00pm today, unplugged off the charge at 7:00am. This was the first time the battery light went off so early in the day, the past four days, it was good until 10:00pm.

I know I used the phone a crazy amount today, was on it non stop, tons of phone calls, million texts, lots of e-mails, and surf the web quite a bit today too. I checked the usage just now, and my On Screen time was at 5h 30m already :eek: Total time off charger 10h 20m.

So basically the Nexus 4 for me, tops out around a little more than 5h On Screen time, before going to red alert. That is still much better than my previous Galaxy Nexus, and little better than my old international HTC One X. Not too bad to get 10.5 hours total usage on a very heavy workday.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that my N4 holds a charge impressively well in standby, even with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, background apps and whatnot left on. It really does drain fast with the screen on, though; and if I'm doing something taxing like playing a game, forget it: I can go from 100% to dead well within three hours.

Either batteries on these phones need to get bigger or the devices themselves need to get a lot more efficient. If you're a light to moderate user or have regular convenient access to a charger for chunks of your day that's all well and good, but I firmly believe it should be a challenge to kill your phone between getting up in the morning and going to bed at night no matter how you use it. If integrated batteries are going to be the norm going forward, they need to do better.

gingerninja72

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with the battery so far, am one week in. Here's my stats as of right now. Moderate use yesterday - net, playing Vector, watching YouTube, a few downloads, FB

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-01-08-24-28.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-01-08-24-28.png
    164 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_2013-03-01-08-24-35.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-01-08-24-35.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 107

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had over 5hrs screen time many times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I can get over 6 hours screen time but it will only last me about max 1 and a half days, so it really is a balance between total time and screen time. However, playing a really battery intensive game kills the battery very easily.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
What's this battery improvement you all speak of?
Mine still lasts less then 12 hours... And I keep GPS off. Google now off and I toggle the out of WiFi/sync/Cellular

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine still lasts less then 12 hours... And I keep GPS off. Google now off and I toggle the out of WiFi/sync/Cellular

are you on 4.2.2. battery improved a lot on that version.

I am currently 1 day 15 hr 31 min standby time
with 1 hr 5 min screen.
I still have 42% remaining.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

How's your signal? That can mean everything. Been really impressed with my n4s battery life.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Incredible battery li

I'm running the latest update.. My HSPA signal is always strong.. And I mean super strong.. But I know that's not accurate. BC I could have full service and not get any data

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
after 6 days of using this phone, here is my battery

EWc4r2f.png
jblpzCc.png

so, for me, 1 hour of screen takes 20% of battery

5 hours screen = 100% battery

Im cool with that I guess..

TooMuchPower

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm very conservative on how I use my Nexus 4. My style is "as needed" so I don't have my WiFi on all the time, I leave my Bluetooth off it's only on when I need it and so on. No need to explain what I turn off and so on as it's well explained on this forum already. I get 3+ hours of screen time on it. Ofcourse even with 3+ days of no charging I'm still not satisfied. I guess I'm spoiled coming from an iPhone 4 and 5 I usually get 4-5 days without a single charge.

88296488.png

34372625.png

66803327.png

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm spoiled coming from an iPhone 4 and 5 I usually get 4-5 days without a single charge.

You had the only i4 in the world that could go that long without a charge. I owned 3 of them and the 3 of them turned on back to back couldn't last that long...I own an iphone 5 as well. I'm calling you out on this one...Unless your talking about standby time?

TooMuchPower

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
You had the only i4 in the world that could go that long without a charge. I owned 3 of them and the 3 of them turned on back to back couldn't last that long...I own an iphone 5 as well. I'm calling you out on this one...Unless your talking about standby time?

Yes your right, the stand by time would usually say 4-5 days without a charge and the usage would usually say 4-5 hours.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Battery life is definitely improves dramatically on 4.2.2. One thing to remember is that along with screen time, audio also affects battery life (media server). You will have much better battery life if your screen time is just reading or texting rather than watching video, for example. Same for playing music or podcasts.

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone with four hours screen time actually take or make any phone calls?

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Btw there is a huge difference between using mobile data and WiFi.. Mobile data also kills the battery very quickly

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Btw there is a huge difference between using mobile data and WiFi.. Mobile data also kills the battery very quickly

Yes it does.... But I have a smart phone for a reason.. I don't have WiFi all the time... Otherwise I'd pay for a stupid I touch and use a feature phone..

I'd like to think the phone could last some time. Ya know a whole work day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87