Anyone using Nexus 4 with an ATT MVNO?

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey there. Hopefully this is the right place for this thread.

I just cancelled my AT&T contract early so that I could go prepaid and save some money. Unfortunately, after doing so, I found out that Straight Talk is no longer offering ATT sims. I went ahead and gave the T-mo sim a shot, but I have no signal on the latter half of my long commute to work and that's a problem. Are there any decent ATT MVNOs left? I just went to the Net10 site and they too are only offering Tmobile sims. Any suggestions? I may have screwed up here...

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Is ST no longer offering SIMs that connect to their ATT network, or are they just no longer offering the micro SIM that the N4 uses? I ask because I cut down a regular SIM to a micro (had never done it before) and it worked great.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
They're not offering any type of ATT sim currently. There is a lot of speculation about why, but no one knows for sure. I grabbed a few Net10 cards off ebay before I posted that link, so hopefully they'll work for me. Although I hate to give up this t-mo sim. I'm getting 20 Mbps down at home vs. 3 when I was on att.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I grabbed a few Net10 cards off ebay before I posted that link, so hopefully they'll work for me.

I did that too, and then I discovered that the seller I purchased them from requires you to activate them within 30 days, or you will receive negative feedback. I need one, and I might need the 2nd. I bought 2 because they were only 99? each. I figured it was worth 99? to not have to order the 2nd one if I end up needing it. So now I have to either use the 2nd one or return it.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I did that too, and then I discovered that the seller I purchased them from requires you to activate them within 30 days, or you will receive negative feedback. I need one, and I might need the 2nd. I bought 2 because they were only 99? each. I figured it was worth 99? to not have to order the 2nd one if I end up needing it. So now I have to either use the 2nd one or return it.
Uh oh. I bought four because I thought my family MIGHT need them. I'm not sure that they actually will. Ah well.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

When you notice things like this warning from this seller, create a new eBay account just for this purchase so that you won't have to activate the sim in 30 days. I do this all the time to get around stupid restrictions from sellers. After you get the sims, close that eBay account.

Last edited:

Bob Coxner

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey there. Hopefully this is the right place for this thread.

I just cancelled my AT&T contract early so that I could go prepaid and save some money. Unfortunately, after doing so, I found out that Straight Talk is no longer offering ATT sims. I went ahead and gave the T-mo sim a shot, but I have no signal on the latter half of my long commute to work and that's a problem. Are there any decent ATT MVNOs left? I just went to the Net10 site and they too are only offering Tmobile sims. Any suggestions? I may have screwed up here...

AirVoice Airvoice Wireless
Black Wireless Black Wireless? - Official Site
Fuzion Mobile http://www.fuzionmobile.com/
Good2Go Mobile http://www.good2gomobile.com/
H20 Wireless https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/
Jolt Mobile http://www.joltmobile.com/
Net10 NET10 Wireless
Phonata Phonata - Home
Red Pocket Mobile Go Red Pocket | Unlimited cell phone plans | Prepaid wireless phones
Skyview Wireless http://www.skyvw.com/
Straight Talk Straight Talk | No Contract Cell Phones | Android Smartphones

edit: it's a bit controversial but I should also add Solavei Unlimited 4G Voice, Text, and Data Cell Phone Plan for $49 | Solavei

Last edited:

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Uh oh. I bought four because I thought my family MIGHT need them. I'm not sure that they actually will. Ah well.

That rule varies by seller. I saw another seller that didn't seem to have that restriction, but only had regular SIMs available. I chose the one I did because he sold micro SIMs. Had I noticed the restriction before buying I would've probably gotten the regular SIMs and cut them. We have a cutter at work.

When you notice things like this warning from this seller, create a new eBay account just for this purchase so that you won't have to activate the sim in 30 days. I do this all the time to get around stupid restrictions from sellers. After you get the sims, close that eBay account.

Thanks, I'll have to remember that trick!

Pantherdawg

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
New here and just stumbled on this thread, went to the net 10 site and found this official statement.
Browsing around the site, it didn't have an option to choose sim cards that I seen like st?????

Effective March 1, 2013, your NET10 Wireless Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP?) AT&T-compatible SIM will be limited to 1.5GB of high speed data usage per 30 day period on the Unlimited plan. Any redemption made prior to March 1st will not be affected by this policy.

The NET10 30-Day Unlimited Airtime Card that you add to your phone will indicate unlimited data; however with an ATT compatible SIM (A- dark blue or B- light blue) you will only receive 1.5GB of data for that 30 day period. You can choose the T-Mobile (TMO) compatible SIM (C-pink) that was included in your package if you prefer to receive Unlimited* 4GƗ data. Please visit our website for instructions on determining if you have TMO compatible service in your area, activating the TMO SIM and transferring your telephone number.

In the event that you cannot locate your TMO SIM, NET10 Wireless will provide a onetime free replacement TMO SIM in TMO compatible areas. Please go to net10data.com or call 888-805-5895

Please visit our net10data.com site to learn how you can save data usage by accessing Wi-Fi sites and closing applications not in use that consume data.

*Tethering is prohibited. Other restrictions and limitations apply. See Terms and Conditions of Service.

Pantherdawg

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Just checked this out. All sims on site say t-mobile compatible like ST

Effective March 1, 2013, your NET10 Wireless Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP?) AT&T-compatible SIM will be limited to 1.5GB of high speed data usage per 30 day period on the Unlimited plan. Any redemption made prior to March 1st will not be affected by this policy.

The NET10 30-Day Unlimited Airtime Card that you add to your phone will indicate unlimited data; however with an ATT compatible SIM (A- dark blue or B- light blue) you will only receive 1.5GB of data for that 30 day period. You can choose the T-Mobile (TMO) compatible SIM (C-pink) that was included in your package if you prefer to receive Unlimited* 4GƗ data. Please visit our website for instructions on determining if you have TMO compatible service in your area, activating the TMO SIM and transferring your telephone number.

In the event that you cannot locate your TMO SIM, NET10 Wireless will provide a onetime free replacement TMO SIM in TMO compatible areas. Please go to net10data.com or call 888-805-5895

Please visit our net10data.com site to learn how you can save data usage by accessing Wi-Fi sites and closing applications not in use that consume data.

*Tethering is prohibited. Other restrictions and limitations apply. See Terms and Conditions of Service.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm ok with the 1.5 GB, especially since att in my area socks anyway. I'll trade it to have signal during my daily drive.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

betsuni

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to add to the necro posting of this thread, but I wanted to let you know that sellers can't leave you a negative feedback. eBay hasn't let sellers leave a negative feedback since May 2008. So you don't have to create another account just to buy stuff from sellers that threaten this.

amsoma

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm using my Nexus 4 with NET10 and have had very few problems. I bought the Micro sim on Amazon for $1.00. About a month after I signed up NET10 announced that data with the ATT sim was going to be limited to 1.5gb per 30 days. Not a big problem for me as I switch to wifi whenever possible. I also changed the setting for any updates to be done when connected to wifi. With those adjustments I find that I never come close to 1.5gb per month. For some it might be a problem but not for me. I use social media, email, navigation, and other web apps with no problems. I even stream the occasional video. They did offer a free swap to the t-mobile sim but I don't think the coverage is as good as ATT so, like you, opting to keep ATT sim with the data limit and slower speeds. I pay $45/month with auto pay for unlimited calling, text, and 1.5gb of data. My bill with tax is under $50. Not bad for no contract, a great phone, and service that I think is as good as any post paid carrier. Very happy with NET10 so far.....:)