How to send and recieve mms without manually turning on mobile data everytime

jgood53

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Running stock messaging and 4.2.2 I am wondering if there is a way to receive pictures without turning Mobil data on every time.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to send and recieve mms without manually turning on mobil data everytime.

You need a data connection to send and/or receive MMS messages.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to send and recieve mms without manually turning on mobil data everytime.

I don't understand this question. I send mms without having to turn on mobile data each time. My mobile data remains connected at all times (at least when there is coverage).

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Many people turn off mobile data unless they are actually using it as they have a limited amount to use. But the first answer is correct,you need to turn on data for mms.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand this question. I send mms without having to turn on mobile data each time. My mobile data remains connected at all times (at least when there is coverage).
The OP turns off their data. You don't need data to send or receive a text or make a phone call. However, if you send or receive a text with a photo, that requires the data connection to be on.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
The OP turns off their data.

OK...so the answer to the original question about how to avoid having to turn on mobile data every time one wants to send a picture message is to....don't turn off your mobile data?

Many people turn off mobile data unless they are actually using it as they have a limited amount to use.

Yes, but I would not expect such people to be surprised at the need to turn it back on "every time" when they need it. Perhaps the whole point was that the OP did not realize that picture messages required mobile data? Maybe I am missing something, but if one turns off mobile data, should not one expect to have to turn it back on "every time" to use it again?

So, I guess the answer is: you need mobile data to send picture messages. If you turn your mobile data off, yes...you will need to turn it back on every time. I don't see any way around that.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the whole point was that the OP did not realize that picture messages required mobile data?
Ding ding ding ding. :thumbup:

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Google Voice doesn't support MMS messaging. The only workaround I can think of is using an app like WhatsApp (which requires the recipient to also be using that app), or connect to a WiFi network and email said content.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
At the risk of hijacking this thread (which I am willing to, given that jgood53 has not been back and I assume his question has been answered).

Ding ding ding ding. :thumbup:

I find language to be interesting. While this response suggests to me that some view the meaning of the question as obvious, compare and contrast the following two questions:

q1: I am wondering if there is a way to receive pictures without turning Mobil data on
q2: I am wondering if there is a way to receive pictures without turning Mobil data on every time

The first question would be one, in my mind, that suggests the inquirer fails to understand the general relationship between pictures and data, which apparently is the assumed point of the OP's question. The second question (the actual OP question) is identical to the first but with the addition of two words at the end. These two words suggests additional possibilities of inquisition, including "why is my mobil data being turned off regularly", or "is there a way to recieve picture messages and needing to turn on mobile data SOME OF THE TIME, such as once at the beginning of each day.

I find language to often times be ambiquous and baffling. I find mostly that fewer words is better than more words. When I find extra words in a question such as this, I tend to ascribe additional meaning and purpose to those words rather than assume them to be superfluous and redundant.

But, I can be a bit anal at times.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Oberkc, personally, I thought they were looking for a way to either get mms without data, or have data auto switch on when sending/receiving mms. My interpretation was that they were aware of the need for data. But regardless of interpretation, I think they got the answer.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Oberkc, personally, I thought they were looking for a way to either get mms without data, or have data auto switch on when sending/receiving mms. My interpretation was that they were aware of the need for data. But regardless of interpretation, I think they got the answer.

Equally viable interpretations, in my mind. Yes, we have beat this one to death. Still, it is an interesting discussion.

smartnphone

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

I thought the same thing.

Yes you need a data connection with the carrier. Data must not be blocked through the carrier. However, you can leave the data off on your phone and still send/receive an MMS depending on the ROM as long as the data isn't blocked through the carrier.

I recall from XDA that having data auto switch on for sending MMS is ROM specific.

For example, the AT&T HTC One X will send/receive MMS even if data is off. The AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 requires the data to be on. If you run a cyanogen mod ROM on the S3 you can have data off and receive/send MMS without data on as it will autoswitch on and off when dealing with MMS.

I hope this clarifies it for everyone.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Although I don't know if the OP is monitoring this thread at all, I think he understands that you need mobile data for MMS, but keeps it off so save his bandwidth. I think he wants a method that turns on data for a short period when he wants to send picture mail.

I'd suggest using Tasker, or maybe Juice Defender ultimate. You can use both to set up a profile that limits data, but allows data from a single program.

nb

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I understand your pain. I have a 200mb plan with AT&T. So I always leave data off. I would never receive any MMS notification. People would have to tell me in advance to turn on my data so they can send me a picture. Fun, eh?

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App