Color calibration

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So I heard that colors on the Nexus 4 look washed out not because of hardware, but because of the color calibration and that you can fix it with some apps, does anyone know a good app to do this?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This Dev is very good.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.nexus4displaycontrol&hl=en&token=Q0Ymu8u_

For a couple bucks more you can can get his custom kernel updater which has the same color controls and a whole lot more.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.franco.kernel&hl=en&token=hZUY87Nu

Before venturing into that territory, are you comfortable with unlocking, rooting, modding, etc??? That level of control will most certainly require that your phone be rooted...

<edit> For what it's worth, here's a screencap from my N4 showing how it looks after my screen tweaks via franco.Kernel Updater App:

4pe2r4kk4p4gxhvfg.jpg

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
This Dev is very good.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.nexus4displaycontrol&hl=en&token=K9x19QXW

For a couple bucks more you can can get his custom kernel updater which has the same color controls and a whole lot more.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.franco.kernel&hl=en&token=IdKPCBk9

Before venturing into that territory, are you comfortable with unlocking, rooting, modding, etc??? That level of control will most certainly require that your phone be rooted...

<edit> For what it's worth, here's a screencap from my N4 showing how it looks after my screen tweaks via franco.Kernel Updater App:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/a64d/4pe2r4kk4p4gxhvfg.jpg
What settings did you use to make it look so good?

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This Dev is very good.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.nexus4displaycontrol&hl=en&token=pyHarNHG

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.franco.kernel&hl=en&token=jcvEqNHu

I dont think a screenshot reproduces how good the colours look. If you take a screenshot of your homescreen with stock colours and changed colours, im pretty sure both screenshots will look exactly the same.

Anyway op, on stock kernel you can change the RGB values but unfortunately you wont be able to change the gamma settings on stock kernel. Google took out the gamma module when updating to 4.2.2. Changing the RGB values can make a little difference but changing the gamma values is what makes a huge difference. To change the gamma values you need to be confident with changing kernels. This can be easily done and flashed through apps such as franco kernel updater which RumoredNow linked above and also other apps such as Faux123 kernel enhancement. These apps will check for updates and flash the kernels while also allowing you to manage the kernels within the app. These apps are paid though, if you dont want to spend money then the kernels are available to download and flash yourself while you can use an app called trickstermod kernel to manage the kernel and display settings.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What settings did you use to make it look so good?

In normal settings under brightness I am running about 60% with "Auto" engaged.

franco.Kernel Updater > Color Control > Screen Color Tuning
Red 225, green 235, blue 245

Screen Gamma Settings
Recommended Values

Really that's about it...

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just bought the app and used the values you have posted. I notice a little difference, but what I am looking for is the cm levels that used to be in AOKP. Was just wondering if anyone knows what the color values are for those.

Edit: Woops, nevermind. I found something similar that I'm happy with. Found it inside the gamma settings and using the recommended values.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Also forgot to mention that trickster has preset values for google, lg, paranoid androids halfbreed, contrasty and bright. The paranoid colours are very popular and Id recommend having both the franco and trickster apps installed.

I think the blues and yellows are so much better with the changed gamma. I couldnt notice as much first the change but when I switched back to the preset I could really tell the difference.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
In normal settings under brightness I am running about 60% with "Auto" engaged.

franco.Kernel Updater > Color Control > Screen Color Tuning
Red 225, green 235, blue 245

Screen Gamma Settings
Recommended Values

Really that's about it...

Those settings look okay but have you used recommended values with rbg all set to 255?

Posted via Android Central App

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Running latest AOKP Pub build and r134 and my N4 is a freaking beast! Highly recommend r134 or M2 from franco. Touch sensitivity is crazy good and haven't been able to find any number of games and/or apps running at the same time to make it even micro stutter. Pub (project unicorn butter) has bionic/krait optimizations and compile via the linaro toolchain (props to Steave Spear and Bigxie for keeping it going on XDA). Stock N4 is fast, but this is wicked fast:cool: Noticably faster than my lady's N4 running AOKP MS1 and whatever kernel it came with (faux or lean I think). Screen is the most obvious difference (she's happy so I digress). My FKU settings are RGB 220,223,226 Gammas at recommended, but then in misc gamma change contrast to 3, brightness to 26, and saturation to 55. Display on auto brightness but with light sensor values ramped up from stock (aokp option in display). Result is gorgeous and still get 3.5-5hr SOT with everything syncing. Highly recommend.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Those settings look okay but have you used recommended values with rbg all set to 255?

Posted via Android Central App

I see a lot of people keep their RGB all at 255, but I've noticed no difference with them all at say 220, so I started there and tweaked to my liking. Guess I think of 255 as the max so I keep them lower. I know it wouldn't hurt though. OCD type of thing:D

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...My FKU settings are RGB 220,223,226 Gammas at recommended, but then in misc gamma change contrast to 3, brightness to 26, and saturation to 55. Display on auto brightness but with light sensor values ramped up from stock (aokp option in display). Result is gorgeous and still get 3.5-5hr SOT with everything syncing. Highly recommend.

I had to dial the Misc. Gamma > Bright back to 20, but yeah that looks crisp, clean, clear with nice text definition and colors that pop without being garish.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Running latest AOKP Pub build and r134 and my N4 is a freaking beast! Highly recommend r134 or M2 from franco. Touch sensitivity is crazy good and haven't been able to find any number of games and/or apps running at the same time to make it even micro stutter. Pub (project unicorn butter) has bionic/krait optimizations and compile via the linaro toolchain (props to Steave Spear and Bigxie for keeping it going on XDA). Stock N4 is fast, but this is wicked fast:cool: Noticably faster than my lady's N4 running AOKP MS1 and whatever kernel it came with (faux or lean I think). Screen is the most obvious difference (she's happy so I digress). My FKU settings are RGB 220,223,226 Gammas at recommended, but then in misc gamma change contrast to 3, brightness to 26, and saturation to 55. Display on auto brightness but with light sensor values ramped up from stock (aokp option in display). Result is gorgeous and still get 3.5-5hr SOT with everything syncing. Highly recommend.

What's this AOKP PUB? where do i get it and what is it? I'm running AOKP build 6 with Franco kernel M2

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
What's this AOKP PUB? where do i get it and what is it? I'm running AOKP build 6 with Franco kernel M2

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

[ROMS] Unofficial AOKP JB 4.2.2 Builds [PUB][Apr - 28] (mako/manta/maguro/toro) - xda-developers

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing AOKP_PUB

4/28 mako most recent build. So this is based of of aokp mr1 milestone 1 with the bionic/krait (our cpu) optimizations and linaro toolchain. AOKP on steriods lol. As stable and "official" as unofficial gets. Enjoy!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the kernel update. I'm running a different ROM (EuroSkank's), but I'm flashing Franco's 134 as I type this.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Those settings are damn near perfect. But like rumorednow said I dialed brightness back a little to 20. Screen looks amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
[ROMS] Unofficial AOKP JB 4.2.2 Builds [PUB][Apr - 28] (mako/manta/maguro/toro) - xda-developers

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing AOKP_PUB

4/28 mako most recent build. So this is based of of aokp mr1 milestone 1 with the bionic/krait (our cpu) optimizations and linaro toolchain. AOKP on steriods lol. As stable and "official" as unofficial gets. Enjoy!
I went Stock ROM but still running Franco kernel, My phone was kinda unstable with AOKP, I think i'm gonna stay away from ROM's now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez