Just got my Nexus 4!!!!

Listicka

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Might I suggest you try batteryGuru? It takes two days to learn about how you use your phone and makes battery adjustments based on that. The best part is that it switches my wifi off if I leave the house and turns it back on when I get to work! Whether it's actually saving me any battery I don't know because I've not had the luxury of the phone going flat yet! Also, if you don't have a wireless charger, turn NFC off and obviously bluetooth. I can't even remember the last time I used bluetooth!

I wouldn't recommend it, look at the reviews on Google Play https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.xiam.snapdragon.app&hl=en&token=OJRelGwF

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just arrived an hour ago and I am blown away so far!! Amazing! Loving this device so far. First observation is that it does get pretty warm quickly. I'm connected to WiFi only and have been using the phone for only 15-20min on web and playing around with photosphere and the phone is warmer than my iPhone 4 during normal use. Most times I will only experience this type of warmth on my iPhone if I'm using it in an area with poor WiFi or if I've been on it for several hours non-stop. Hope its nothing. We'll see. I'll play around with it some more and see how it goes.
It does get warm. That is normal. The CPU is programmed to shut down cores and drop clock speed before any damage occurs though. Mine peaks around the mid 120s(F)...I would not worry about heat till at least the 140s. My normal temps are 65F to 95F though.

Unless it is getting warm at idle, I would not worry about it.

When I took my nexus out of the box it had 44% battery. I'm at 22% battery now and Im only using WiFi. Haven't put a Sim card in yet. Shouldn't my battery be better if I'm on wifi instead of cellular? Could not having cellular/ SIM cause excess battery drain?
The warmer it is the less it will hold a charge. Your battery discharges faster the hotter it gets (re-charges slower as well). The Nexus 4 does not have the best battery IMO.

Since you just got it, the battery might not be displaying remaining charge correctly. Let it go through a few cycles first. Charge it to full and let it run down to almost zero, then recharge to full. The "battery remaining" is basically an estimate your phone is making.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree going unlocked is the way to go. Feels so liberating. As for the device itself I love it. Just charged it up to 100% over night and will be testing it out further today to seen how the battery does then I'll move on to learning how to customize this little puppy to look and feel and do what I want. Yay!!
There are, IMO, few benefits to being unlocked. The only reason I did it at all was to use a custom kernel...the Franco kernel allows me to tweak my display settings (I adjusted my gamma so that the saturation matches an iPhone...as good as the N4 display is, it can be even better).

The main reason I unlocked on my previous phones at all was to install vanilla android ROMs...with the Nexus 4 I already have that.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It does get warm. That is normal. The CPU is programmed to shut down cores and drop clock speed before any damage occurs though. Mine peaks around the mid 120s(F)...I would not worry about heat till at least the 140s. My normal temps are 65F to 95F though.

Unless it is getting warm at idle, I would not worry about it.

The warmer it is the less it will hold a charge. Your battery discharges faster the hotter it gets (re-charges slower as well). The Nexus 4 does not have the best battery IMO.

Since you just got it, the battery might not be displaying remaining charge correctly. Let it go through a few cycles first. Charge it to full and let it run down to almost zero, then recharge to full. The "battery remaining" is basically an estimate your phone is making.

That is old school advice, not necessary with current batteries.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
That is old school advice, not necessary with current batteries.
This is based on my own personal experience. My battery DOES discharge faster when it is running hot. The same thing was true with my rezound I had before.

Performance increases with heat, but battery life also decreases dramatically above 30 degrees C.

The essential guide to feeding and caring for your phone battery | Uoobe
If you are talking about calibration, apparently it is still true and necessary, even with current batteries:

there are instances where you may need to calibrate your Li-polymer battery, but it has nothing to do with the battery losing it?s charge capacity. After several cycles the battery and the digital battery gauge may go out of sync. For example, you may have a full battery but the gauge shows only 85 percent. This can happen when you partially discharge and then recharge the battery a lot (like you?re supposed to). The way to get things back in sync again is to fully use up/discharge the battery so that the digital gauge can set it?s discharge level, and then charge it back up to 100 percent so that the gauge can set it?s full charge level. This ?one cycle? battery calibration only needs to be done once every three months or so

The essential guide to feeding and caring for your phone battery | Uoobe

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Well I unplugged this morning around 10am and its now 11:16pm and still have about 44% battery remaining. I tried to use the phone as I normally would during the day. Tomorrow will be a real test as I'm off from work so will use more.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370575079688.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370575079688.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370575170208.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370575170208.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 10

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members