HOW TO : UPDATE to 4.3 from STOCK 4.2.2 ( STOCK recovery, Locked/Unlocked Bootloader)

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Forget sideloading, etc. How about Google simply getting out the update across board to devices in manner Apple does for iPhone. Apple excels at that! Lesson to learn, Google.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Forget sideloading, etc. How about Google simply getting out the update across board to devices in manner Apple does for iPhone. Apple excels at that! Lesson to learn, Google.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Google deliberately pushes updates out in stages: https://plus.google.com/112218872649456413744/posts/cVFuksrfJCJ

Nothing to "learn" from Apple, as they choose to update devices in this manner to reduce risk of catastrophic issues.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Deeco

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
"Warning: No file_contextsVerifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check(" /system/app/SystemUI.apk". blah blah...."

I modified the 'SystemUI.apk' but I replaced it back to the original thinking the error will go. Anyone can help?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
"Warning: No file_contextsVerifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check(" /system/app/SystemUI.apk". blah blah...."

I modified the 'SystemUI.apk' but I replaced it back to the original thinking the error will go. Anyone can help?

Seems you did not replace it with the original. If you did you would not be seeing that error.

Deeco

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Seems you did not replace it with the original. If you did you would not be seeing that error.

I had replaced it with the original that was backed up. It was a battery mod that was implemented in the SystemUI, I rebooted it and the battery when to default stock style, still getting this warning.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I had replaced it with the original that was backed up. It was a battery mod that was implemented in the SystemUI, I rebooted it and the battery when to default stock style, still getting this warning.

You sure you are running stock and not a deodexed AOSP ROM? I'm not sure you could even apply an altered systemUI apk with deodexing at least that package.. this could be part of what the update check is confirming.

Do you have a stock backup (nandroid) from before you hacked at the device?

Deeco

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm running pure stock no modifications apart from 'root, unlocked bootloader and systemui.apk (which i reverted to original), I am using stock recovery too.
However after that warning message above, there seems to be a 2 different md5 hashes displayed...could this be a mismatch? What do you suggest? Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm running pure stock no modifications apart from 'root, unlocked bootloader and systemui.apk (which i reverted to original), I am using stock recovery too.
However after that warning message above, there seems to be a 2 different md5 hashes displayed...could this be a mismatch? What do you suggest? Thanks.

I suggest restoring a backup you hopefully have from before you rooted, or at least from before you altered the system. The OTA is not recognizing your system as fully stock right now and I can't speculate about what you'd have to do piece-meal wise to restore it.

If you don't have a backup your only real option is to flash the factory images in fastboot. Guide in the rooting section will walk you through that.

Deeco

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I suggest restoring a backup you hopefully have from before you rooted, or at least from before you altered the system. The OTA is not recognizing your system as fully stock right now and I can't speculate about what you'd have to do piece-meal wise to restore it.

If you don't have a backup your only real option is to flash the factory images in fastboot. Guide in the rooting section will walk you through that.

Unfortunately, I don't have a nand backup...by restoring factory images via fastboot will it delete any of my data?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't have a nand backup...by restoring factory images via fastboot will it delete any of my data?

Yes the factory image restore will fully wipe the device.

What you can do first, since you are rooted anyway, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data, move the backup directory to your computer, then after the factory image restore you can move it back to the phone and restore your apps and data after install TiBu again. Check the TiBu guide linked in my signature as I give a few good tips on using it correctly.

Obviously you can backup all your photos and stuff too before you do the procedure.

Deeco

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes the factory image restore will fully wipe the device.

What you can do first, since you are rooted anyway, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data, move the backup directory to your computer, then after the factory image restore you can move it back to the phone and restore your apps and data after install TiBu again. Check the TiBu guide linked in my signature as I give a few good tips on using it correctly.

Obviously you can backup all your photos and stuff too before you do the procedure.

I was hoping to avoid doing this. Could I just extract the 'SystemUI' from stock rom and push it via adb?

Thanks for your help btw, much appreciated.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping to avoid doing this. Could I just extract the 'SystemUI' from stock rom and push it via adb?

Thanks for your help btw, much appreciated.

You could try, you indicated you already tried restoring the old apk and it didn't work so I wasn't going to suggest that. Can't really hurt at this point to give it a shot tho.

Deeco

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
You could try, you indicated you already tried restoring the old apk and it didn't work so I wasn't going to suggest that. Can't really hurt at this point to give it a shot tho.

Pushed from system.img and updating to 4.3 was successful, however now I am stuck in the Nexus Boot screen.

Itayhayat

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much guys, I managed to upgrade to 4.3 after using #codemonkey85 instruction and used the "Power + Up (once)" so I will be able to apply the command. Then it installed the driver automatically on my Windows 7 64bit PC. It took about 5 minutes after I spent several hours to find a solution on Thursday night.
On Thursday I found this solution too, but didn't see #codemonkey85's suggestion.

THANKS