Mysterious missing downloads, show up in Airdroid

Jody Gomber

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I saved 2 files that came as Aquamail email attachments - a .doc file and a .xls file. When I go to the Downloads app, they're not showing. But when I connect my phone to my PC with Airdroid, there they are in Files/SD Card/Download. So Airdroid shows me on my PC that the files are there on my phone, but I can't seem to access them on my phone, or even see by looking at my phone that they are there. I'm feeling completely frustrated and unable to think of how to see these files on my phone. Can anyone help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the files were downloaded there using a 3rd party app that perhaps isn't communicating properly with the Download Manager, and therefore don't get displayed properly in the Downloads app. What I have noticed is that if you copy a file into the Downloads folder from somewhere else on the phone (using a file manager app), that file won't be displayed in the Downloads app--my theory is that the Downloads app will only show files in that folder that the Download Manager was involved with.

What I suggest is to install a good file manager app on your phone (like ES File Explorer or Total Commander), and use that to access your Download folder.

Jody Gomber

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. ES File Explorer did the trick. Surprisingly, I have saved other email attachments from Aquamail previously, and they did show up in the Downloads app. I'm not sure why these two wouldn't show, but thanks for the workaround.