Text messaging is laggy & older messages not being deleted

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm on stock Android 4.4.4 with root. I'm using the native app for text messaging and lately is has become really slow. My suspicion is I have too many multimedia messages so I lowered the multimedia message limit to five per conversation. I have been using the phone for a couple days now and when I scroll thru the messages, I can see that there are many more than five multimedia messages in each conversation. I have the "delete old messages" option checked so shouldn't any older multimedia messages be automatically deleted once the limit of five is reached?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have a direct answer for you--but how many saved conversation threads do you have in your messaging app? If you have a lot, that could certainly contribute to lag. Consider cleaning things up and deleting as many threads as you can.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have a direct answer for you--but how many saved conversation threads do you have in your messaging app? If you have a lot, that could certainly contribute to lag. Consider cleaning things up and deleting as many threads as you can.

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to get the conversation thread count but i'm pretty sure its less than 100. I suspect its the multi-media messages that's causing the issue because I recently got about 10 of them from a friend and that's when it started slowing down. I'm not sure why they are not being automatically deleted since I have the limit set to 5 per conversation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't really comment on that, since I use Hangouts as my default SMS, which doesn't have that setting. It's not so much the thread count as the total number of messages stored in the system--especially messages with photos or videos. You could have just two or three threads, but if those threads were hundreds of messages long, they'd still take up a lot of space.