Faulty Nexus 4 - worth repairing?

Mark Reed3

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 which like many others had issues with battery failure after the recent Lollipop 5.0 upgrade. From recent posts it seems this problem is not going away and users are left to manage the problem by turning off the phone functions. So with a phone in need of a replacement battery and a replacement rear glass door housing is it worth continuing on with this phone?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Really, you're the only one who can answer the question.

Personally I would probably replace my battery if it became unusably bad. I haven't really heard much about lolipoop "killing batteries" but the N4 is two years old now and that's a long time for a lithium cell.

Wubba lubba dub dub!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Lollipop is not causing battery failure, batteries fail from time to time, and Lollipop is definetly not a battery problem, if it causing battery drain you need to investigate it further to see the real cause, it isn't Lollipop, it's something else...

Is it worth it to fix? I don't know, depends on how much you have to get invested into it, will you replace it yourself or have it done? If you do it yourself it is probably worth it, the battery is around $20 and a battery back door is under $10 on eBay, not bad... If you have it done it will cost anywhere from $80-$150, and you can buy refurbs for that with a warranty from Expansys or other supplier.

This is still not touching on the fact this is a 2+ year old phone, is it worth it for that when you can get much newer devices for under $200, like the Moto G, Asus Zenphone, half-dozen Blu devices, etc??? Ultimately, this is something you have to decide for yourself...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's a great little phone. If the costs to replace the parts yourself is manageable, I'd say go for it. I always liked the N4, simple due to form factor and design.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty