My first Android phone: Nova 5T or Mi 9T?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi

I want to migrate from iPhone 7 to a mid-range Android device. I investigate a lot and liked these two phones. ( Huawei Nova 5T and Xiaomi Mi 9T )
They have their pros and cons and I really can’t decide which one to buy.

1. Mostly I use my phone to check Instagram, Telegram, WhatsApp, watch movies, download using LTE and sometimes taking pictures.

2. I got my iPhone 7 about 3.5 years ago and it’s still in a very good condition. I usually use my phones at least 3 years.

3. I really care about software update and ROM. I really like MIUI it’s so beautiful. EMUI looks old.

4. I don’t care about screen technology.
- AMOLED fans say IPS is old. It’s color accurate with really good white color. It has less cons than AMOLED and better for long term usage.
- AMOLED is really good specially when using dark mode but burn-in can happen and also I saw many people complaining about jitter and ghost touch problem which some YouTubers think is normal on AMOLED. Many people are complaining about Xiaomi AMOLED display ghost touch and jitter problem specially on 9T. So I think it’s wiser to use IPS + guarantee service is not good in my country so if it gets burn-in or ghost touch problem they will not replace the phone and I don’t like my new phone to be repaired because of low built quality.

5. Battery is really important to me because iPhone 7 is really bad and it’s the main reason I want to change my phone.
Nova 5T has a 3750mAh and Mi 9T has a 4000mAh battery but it looks Mi 9T is a lot better than 5T. Reviewers say MIUI is very battery friendly. Video loop test was 15h for 5T and 27h for 9T. Nova lasts a day with normal usage but Mi 9T last at least 1.5 day.
- I saw many Mi 9T users complaining about their battery after updating from Android 9 to 10 and MIUI 11.

6. Mi 9T is using Gorilla Glass 5 which is really resistant to scratches. I can’t even find a video of Nova 5T scratch test I don’t know why. But people are saying it uses a Chinese glass company which is similar to Gorilla Glass 3 which is not good I guess.

7. Nova 5T beats Mi 9T easily in the performance and the difference in benchmark is huge !!! But I’m not going to play with my phone a lot maybe 30-40 hours/year Call of Duty or PUBG.

8. I can buy Mi 9T without any problem but to buy Nova 5T I have to spend all my money. ( I wanted to buy a monitor with the remaining money. )

So ... What do you think? Which phone should I get? I really love to read both phone’s users opinion.

Thanks

PatcheyP

Jun 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi. Not sure what country your in. I've a onePlus6 & Mi Mix3 from 2018. Mix 3 is better but I scratched the glass putting it in my jeans front pocket. I dropped it 2 days ago from 2m and cracked the glass in corner but phone works perfect, so Mi are strong.
The K20 (9t) good, if you don't mind 5g, k30(5g) is faster but camera??
I was looking at p40 lite (nova 7i) but Honor 20 (nova 5t) has had a big price drop here to same price. There's also Realme 6 pro (good pics, fast charge, big battery, fast screen)
Rom and updates Mi-excellent. HW have good record but degoogling (trade war) affects some apps etc

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201