Note 3 or Nexus 5

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I had a LG G2 and loved the phone until I discovered a bug that caused the touch screen to go out of whack. Not sure if it was a software bug or hardware, but I went through 4 different LG G2s before giving up. I'm currently using a LG Nexus 4 now and for the most part I'm happy with it.

I've been really apprehensive with the whole idea of 'Phablets' up until recently. The Note 3 has really captured my interests and I've been researching them everyday. Getting various opinions, thoughts, trials, and more. I went to the store to get a size comparison and it's big, as I thought it would be, but it wasn't that big until I compared another phone. It was even visually bigger. All in all to be honest I like it and if it were a little smaller, I'd be all over it.

Still a large part of me wants to stick with what I know I'll love and that's the Nexus 5 (based on rumors and my knowledge of pure android). I'm also very interested in KitKat, LTE, 1080p 441ppi, etc. Something the Note won't see [KitKat] for some time.

So if you guys don't mind can you offer up some advice?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-vs-galaxy-s4-google-edition.html#post3140926

I really like how this guy made it clear and concise.

Thanks in advance

Vahdyx

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 5. I'm a current Note 2 owner and owned the Note 3 for two weeks. Knox, Wi-Fi problems with AC routers, voice issues (perhaps CDMA carriers only?), and that's about all I've got. I'm sure I'm missing quite a bit of other Note 3 cons.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What is "Knox"

Samsung's security suite. Makes their phones more secure for government and enterprise.

This is a really difficult to answer. Its sort of like asking, "Should I get a Nissan 370 Z or a BMW 330i?" Well both are great choices and you'll be happy either way, but they are two very different experiences. Pick the one that sounds like the better experience to you.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Samsung's security suite. Makes their phones more secure for government and enterprise.

This is a really difficult to answer. Its sort of like asking, "Should I get a Nissan 370 Z or a BMW 330i?" Well both are great choices and you'll be happy either way, but they are two very different experiences. Pick the one that sounds like the better experience to you.

BMW 335i would be the more comparable choice... last year with a 330i was 2006 (at least here in the states) and the e90 chassis only (states as well).. which is my car. lol
Sorry, BMW enthusiast nit-picking.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5. I've owned the LG G2 and a Note 3. I absolutely loved the g2 and not so much the note 3. I didn't use the spen enough to take advantage of the features, which I thought I would. The chrome trim on the sides started to chip after a few days. Most of the software features hardly worked for me and the phone would freeze just about every time I used it. The freezing is what put me over the edge and the phone is just a little too big IMHO.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
My note 3 reboots itself daily and freezes with force closes of "my magazine".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
If your fine with the size and your gonna use the s pen go note. Its to big IMO so I'm N5 all the way

Posted via Android Central App

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It seems like you really liked the Note 3. I don't blame you, it's a nice phone and I was tempted. I have a G2 running a CM 10.2 nighty and love it. I also have the Moto X. I'd recommend the Nexus 5 but, that's just me. Like others have mentioned, if you're going to use the S-pen and all the Samsung features, than the Note 3 might be the phone to get.

I like the Note 3 but after having the original Note , it just makes other phones seem so small. Once you get used to that large screen, you don't even want to go back to the smaller screen phones. I had to make myself get used to a smaller screen when I got the HTC One X, and luckily I really liked that phone. If you don't have a tablet and the phone is your only source of mobile device, then the Note 3 may be the device to get.

Another reason I would choose the Nexus 5 is, pure Android. I've been getting Nexus phones from the beginning and love stock Android. I don't like touchwiz because it covers up too much of the stock Android features I like. I like the look of stock Android much better, along with fast updates and Google Now, which works much better than S-voice IMO.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
BMW 335i would be the more comparable choice... last year with a 330i was 2006 (at least here in the states) and the e90 chassis only (states as well).. which is my car. lol
Sorry, BMW enthusiast nit-picking.

Lol no problem. That is the exact kind of thing I would point out too. I honestly doubted it was still a 330i when I was writing the post but was too lazy to go figure out what the current model was. The point still remains, neither is objectively better than the other, it depends on personal prefrences and use case.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If it was me I'd go with the N5 all the way. (Providing the specs are all correct and it runs well. Plus a good enough battery!)

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Large beautiful screen, large, removal battery, large, and expandable storage. Why not?

Don't believe over dramatic report of problems, my note 3 never reboot itself even once in the past 4 weeks.

@T-Mobile GN3

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
It isn't an overly dramatic report regarding rebooting. There are plenty of threads about it on XDA and other places. Mine rebooted 4 times yesterday, but then some days it doesn't. It does freeze at some point each and every day as "my magazine" tries to load or do something in the background before it force closes. I really like the phone overall and I'm sure these bugs will be worked out with software updates. I'm running stock unrooted. I'll order the N5 and keep whichever I like better.

Large beautiful screen, large, removal battery, large, and expandable storage. Why not?

Don't believe over dramatic report of problems, my note 3 never reboot itself even once in the past 4 weeks.

@T-Mobile GN3