On-screen Buttons

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I ordered my black 32GB Nexus 5 on Thursday and I cannot wait to get it this week.
I know that one of the new things in KitKat is the Full Screen Immersion Mode that developers can choose to use in the future.
But it really bugs me how much of the screen is used for the on-screen buttons when using apps.
I have both the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 models and do not mind the on-screen buttons on those devices but the buttons just seem to use too much screen on phones.
This is one of the drawbacks of the smaller screen Moto X too.
Check out this YouTube video which shows both the Nexus 5 and the Galaxy S4 running various apps.
I really like the fact that Samsung does not use the screen for the buttons but I hate the extra baggage that comes with their devices.

Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 - Benchmark + Speed Test - YouTube

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the on screen buttons cause with custom roms you can actually do some cool things with it.

Hopefully game developers will take advantage of the new full immersion mode.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've gotta say after using a phone with onscreen buttons, I agree. I'm used to my S3 which I had been thinking was a disadvantage with having physical buttons, but I don't really care for the onscreen buttons. In addition to taking up screen real-estate, I had issues with accidentally hitting the home button when using the keyboard.

Probably take some getting used to, but right now I definitely prefer having the physical buttons.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Interesting perspective. I have not used a device with onscreen buttons, so it will be a change for me coming from an S2 (E4GT) on Sprint.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I finally got my Black 32 GB Nexus 5 yesterday. So far I am loving it but it still bugs me that when viewing web pages in Chrome, using apps, or viewing photos that part of the beautiful screen is used by the buttons. Videos look great full screen, edge to edge.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I complained loudly about the move to on-screen buttons at first. But they have grown on me. With soft-buttons I can have them in the same place even when my phone is upside down. If you root, you can even install apps that can change the color or what they look like.

I was never a fan of hardware home buttons like the Samsung phones have. IMO they are annoying to use.