Where's the privacy?

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
The fact is, the second you opened up a Gmail acct, you handed over any and all rights to your privacy. Take an hour and go online and read their privacy policy. You'll be enlightened, guaranteed!

A few weeks ago I downloaded the Fandago app after I found out that our local theatre tickets could be purchased through this app.
I always read the TOS & Privacy Policy when I download an app that requires any of my banking information. (And I'm not talking about what they tell you on the Play Store....those permissions are too vague) Before making the ticket purchase, I read the policy top to bottom, and found out exactly how much access to my phone and exactly how much of my personal information Fandango shares with third parties. After I saw that these third parties have complete access to my credit information, AND my credit history, I immediately cancelled my Fandango acct and uninstalled the app. There's no reason a movie ticket app (or the companies they are associated with) need access to my credit history.

Point is, by creating a Gmail acct, you automatically gave complete access to Google (and their third party associates) to do with what they will. You can't control that....it's the price we pay for living in the digital age. But, you CAN control what apps you download and the excessive permissions many of them ask for.
As someone previously mentioned.....just because they have these permissions doesn't mean they will use them maliciously. You simply have to decide for yourself, how much is too much.

tap'n

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The fact is, the second you opened up a Gmail acct, you handed over any and all rights to your privacy. Take an hour and go online and read their privacy policy. You'll be enlightened, guaranteed!

A few weeks ago I downloaded the Fandago app after I found out that our local theatre tickets could be purchased through this app.
I always read the TOS & Privacy Policy when I download an app that requires any of my banking information. (And I'm not talking about what they tell you on the Play Store....those permissions are too vague) Before making the ticket purchase, I read the policy top to bottom, and found out exactly how much access to my phone and exactly how much of my personal information Fandango shares with third parties. After I saw that these third parties have complete access to my credit information, AND my credit history, I immediately cancelled my Fandango acct and uninstalled the app. There's no reason a movie ticket app (or the companies they are associated with) need access to my credit history.

Point is, by creating a Gmail acct, you automatically gave complete access to Google (and their third party associates) to do with what they will. You can't control that....it's the price we pay for living in the digital age. But, you CAN control what apps you download and the excessive permissions many of them ask for.
As someone previously mentioned.....just because they have these permissions doesn't mean they will use them maliciously. You simply have to decide for yourself, how much is too much.

tap'n

If I were rich I'd use one use dumbphones. Throw it away after each call. I know how stupid that sounds but really the rights of the individual (which is all any country ever has) are nearly gone now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
SIM free phone with monthly SIMs I buy in cash? Sure.

You're just being ridiculous to defend the "golden" android. It's quite a bit different from giving a random 3rd party dev who could be anyone access to do anything on your phone. Maybe even steal financial details.

I'm not defending Android or anything else. I don't need to. I have no vested interest in whether Android fails or succeeds. I'm OS agnostic. Any app that you use that interfaces with any other app on your device will require permissions. That's just a fact of life. And guess what? Your SIM free phone with monthly SIMs runs on someones network and that someone knows every website you visit, every text you get, every text you send, where you're at, etc. If you're that paranoid about it then you need to give up the idea of using a smartphone. But hey, what do I know? I'm just guy who has spent the last 20+ years as a criminal investigator. Cheers!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm so conflicted. I turned on Google Now just to see what it can do and potentially it can have a 24/7 record of everything I do, say, what I look like, where I go...

I'll turn it off at some point but at the same time it gives me the creeps it's still a neat function in a way.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
SIM free phone with monthly SIMs I buy in cash? Sure.

You're just being ridiculous to defend the "golden" android. It's quite a bit different from giving a random 3rd party dev who could be anyone access to do anything on your phone. Maybe even steal financial details.

No, you're complaining about a nonexistent problem. As people have explained, apps need access to different parts of your phone and data stored on it to perform the functions for which you downloaded a given app in the first place. And if you believe that iOS or blackberry apps don't do the same - including the bundled apps, you're wrong. If you do not believe that apps shouldn't have access to any data on the phone, you misjudge the whole purpose of smartphones and apps.

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm so conflicted. I turned on Google Now just to see what it can do and potentially it can have a 24/7 record of everything I do, say, what I look like, where I go...

I'll turn it off at some point but at the same time it gives me the creeps it's still a neat function in a way.

There you have it, some call it price for convenience, I call it unnecessary exposure.

Is it convenient? Sure. Do I absolutely need it, that I am willing to turn myself into an ad machine for Google to analyze? Hell no.

@T-Mobile GN3

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If Google or the Government really wants to listen in on my calls or read the text between my wife and me arguing over who's going to get the kids after work or who's picking up milk for breakfast tomorrow... Let'em have at it... Heck Maybe Google now will have a card that reminds me what kind of milk to pick up or automatically add a reminder to my calender that I agreed to get the kids today.... Probably cut down on some of the arguments... "Nope.. here it right here.. Google clearly shows you said "FINE.. I'll go get the kids today.""

not to mention Google is in the ad/information business.. It WHY you got a $349 or $399 unlocked device with about the best possible specs you could ask for in a device.....

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but I cant even use the facebook app without them screwing up my contacts list. Whats the point in having an android phone if I cant use apps. Might as well buy an OS7 blackberry lol.

I'm not a fan of Facebook(too much info, going out to too many people). As far as "financial" stuff getting stolen off your cellphone goes...IMHO, if anyone is dumb enough to put that info on their phone, then they get what they deserve. If someone is that concerned, then they should get a Moto Razr flip.:p

nexus555

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
No, you're complaining about a nonexistent problem. As people have explained, apps need access to different parts of your phone and data stored on it to perform the functions for which you downloaded a given app in the first place. And if you believe that iOS or blackberry apps don't do the same - including the bundled apps, you're wrong. If you do not believe that apps shouldn't have access to any data on the phone, you misjudge the whole purpose of smartphones and apps.

There are apps like games which demand access to contact lists and making phonecalls. That's not to run the game, that's to get information and sell it on. What's worse is these aren't always companies, these can be individual app developers who can personally look through things and actually read your private information. The play store is like the wild west, apps that are accessing peoples' credit cards and making payments. Don't be a fanboy this is not just a case of "they need the permissions to run".

On BBRY I was able to decline stuff like that and still use the app.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
There are apps like games which demand access to contact lists and making phonecalls. That's not to run the game, that's to get information and sell it on. What's worse is these aren't always companies, these can be individual app developers who can personally look through things and actually read your private information. The play store is like the wild west, apps that are accessing peoples' credit cards and making payments. Don't be a fanboy this is not just a case of "they need the permissions to run".

On BBRY I was able to decline stuff like that and still use the app.
Games are often played more than one player. So if a game is going to give you the capacity to invite your friend to play, of course it needs access to your connects. And just because an app has access to your contact list doesn't mean the developer is sent a copy of it. Your financial information is only transmitted to a developer if you purchase something and even then mostly not since Google wallet mostly handles it.

I'm not being a fanboy. You're being paranoid.

nexus555

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Games are often played more than one player. So if a game is going to give you the capacity to invite your friend to play, of course it needs access to your connects. And just because an app has access to your contact list doesn't mean the developer is sent a copy of it. Your financial information is only transmitted to a developer if you purchase something and even then mostly not since Google wallet mostly handles it.

I'm not being a fanboy. You're being paranoid.

Explain that bit then, because I think you're just being a fanboy. I buy a product based on what it does.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Explain that bit then, because I think you're just being a fanboy. I buy a product based on what it does.
Part of what it does is allow you to play multiplayer games with your friends. The developer of that game neither needs nor wants your contact list. The APP, however, does need it in case you want to invite people on your contact list to join. The app, within your phone, accesses the list, send invites when you want it to, and then peppers down. The developer isn't necessarily sent anything at all.

And I'm not the first person that's explained this to you in this thread. Frankly, if this isn't good enough for you, return the phone. No one is holding a gun to your head to keep it.