KitKat and the play store

brac20

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
So far I love my Nexus 5 and think KitKat is very nice. However there is something that is annoying me. Why have Google taken the Play Store shortcut out of the app drawer? Does anyone know of a way to enable this or is it just a victim of Google's move to minimalistic design?

Posted via Android Central App

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the op is talking about the shortcut in the top right of the app drawer.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The launcher including the app drawer has been replaced with the new one. This unfortunately explains the disappearance of the shortcut. Once nova launcher has been revamped which is in the process. This may be an option to put back, who knows?

Congratulations to you guys for getting the n5! I'm getting my wife and I one in January thanks to the jump program with T-Mobile.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So far I love my Nexus 5 and think KitKat is very nice. However there is something that is annoying me. Why have Google taken the Play Store shortcut out of the app drawer? Does anyone know of a way to enable this or is it just a victim of Google's move to minimalistic design?

Not really sure why this is an issue. There is a shortcut on the main screen, in the Google folder on your main screen and in the app drawer. How many short cuts for the Play Store do you need?

brac20

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Not really sure why this is an issue. There is a shortcut on the main screen, in the Google folder on your main screen and in the app drawer. How many short cuts for the Play Store do you need?

It's an issue because I rather not have to have the Play Store app on my homescreen. I realise its not a problem for everyone and for me its only a minor thing. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to get it back.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.. Not sure what your able to do at the moment without third party launcher assistance.

Why is the right door always locked?

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can understand. I get used to things as well. I think unfortunately you might have to wait this out for a compatible home replacement. The good thing is the new nova launcher is going to resemble the current launcher your using (stock) so it will give you some hope too hang in to in the meantime. Offshore they'll be much more customization added.

Good luck to you, sorry I didn't have a solution for you.

Why is the right door always locked?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's an issue because I rather not have to have the Play Store app on my homescreen. I realise its not a problem for everyone and for me its only a minor thing. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to get it back.

I put all my necessary-but-only-occasionally-used Google apps into a single container on my home screen. Easily available when I need them, but only take up a single icon position when not.

Don't know how? Just drag an existing icon and drop it on top of another; a container will automatically be created. Add additional icons to the container as you wish by dropping them as you did the first.

Tap the container to open it and tap the container name to rename it as you wish. Your home screen can have as many containers as you want. Even the four icons at the very bottom of the screen can be turned into containers (I have two camera apps in one and four messaging-related apps in another).

brac20

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I put all my necessary-but-only-occasionally-used Google apps into a single container on my home screen. Easily available when I need them, but only take up a single icon position when not.

Don't know how? Just drag an existing icon and drop it on top of another; a container will automatically be created. Add additional icons to the container as you wish by dropping them as you did the first.

Tap the container to open it and tap the container name to rename it as you wish. Your home screen can have as many containers as you want. Even the four icons at the very bottom of the screen can be turned into containers (I have two camera apps in one and four messaging-related apps in another).

Thanks for the advice (although I do know how to create and use folders in android ;-) ). I realise it seems like a small, inconsequential complaint but I just liked the way it was implemented in Jelly bean. I'm sure i will get used to having in a folder on my home screen pretty quickly.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Coming from my iPhone 4 into the world of Android I am easily familiar with folders/containers or whatever you wanna call them. I cleaned up my home screen by making containers like System Tools, Music and Movies, News, Sports, Fitness, Financial etc. I only have my home screen (widgets), a screen on the right slide with all my containers and then Google Now on the left. Easy peasy.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It will just take adjustment. When I flashed 4.4 on my n4 it was a pain too. Getting used to it on the new launcher.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.