Anyone switch from iPhone 5/5S to Nexus 5? Any regrets?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I buy music on iTunes all the time, but man, I hate using iTunes itself. That would be a huge minus to me if i was forced to use it to transfer stuff to and from my phone.

I use iTunes because their library is just so big I can't ignore it. It's the most convenient place to buy MP3s. But I hate that software with a passion. (on the plus side, nowadays they actually let you download non-DRM files)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know anything about BGR
Your link was from BGR's website. BGR is a known Android cheerleader...they are heavily biased. You won't convince anyone of anything using them as a source. It would be like using "9 to 5 Mac" or "macrumors.com" as a source proving that iPhones have better battery life...no one would it seriously. Just sayin. \

iPhone 5 1,440 mAh battery
iPhone 5c 1,507 mAh battery
iPhone 5s 1,570 mAh battery
Nexus 5 2,300 mAh battery
I can tell you from experience that mAh is only part of the story...the Nexus 5 would get much better battery life than the Nexus 4 even with the same sized battery, simply because the CPU is more efficient. Bigger is never a bad thing, but bigger does not necessarily mean more battery life.

I can tell you that I have seen many reviews of the Nexus 5 and none of them agree with that chart with regards to battery life. There is no way that the GS4 is twice as good as the iPhone on battery life either. Not with the stock battery.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I buy music on iTunes all the time, but man, I hate using iTunes itself. That would be a huge minus to me if i was forced to use it to transfer stuff to and from my phone.

I use iTunes because their library is just so big I can't ignore it. It's the most convenient place to buy MP3s. But I hate that software with a passion. (on the plus side, nowadays they actually let you download non-DRM files)

What are you using to send music to your Nexus? Is there a player out there like Double Twist that IS nice and pretty and functional with the Nexus 5? I'm a bit of an audiophile so I want my music, my playlists, my album covers, I want it all sexy sexy on mah new phone!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
What are you using to send music to your Nexus? Is there a player out there like Double Twist that IS nice and pretty and functional with the Nexus 5? I'm a bit of an audiophile so I want my music, my playlists, my album covers, I want it all sexy sexy on mah new phone!

Nothing. Maintain my library as individual MP3s, and just copy them to the phone manually like a USB drive. Or I just download to the phone.

Since they are mp3s I can customize them myself. All have embedded lyrics and album covers and other metadata.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

This will be how I will be moving data, photo, video and music.

SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive

Mobile Wi-Fi clients, such as smartphone and tablets, can use a mobile app (each Connect Wireless drives has a mobile app of its own, available for Android, iOS, and Kindle Fire platforms) to play back contents stored on the Connect Wireless drives or back up user-generated contents onto them, wirelessly.

It automatically organized content into four categories, Videos, Photos, Music, and Files, regardless of the location you copy the file to, be it the Media Drive's internal storage or the connected SD card. The drive scans for new media files in real time; this process took a very short time in my trials. For example, just about a second after I had inserted an SD card, movies and photos stored on the card had already appeared in the respective category.

Alternatively, you can access the drive's storage via folders and subfolders.

You can swipe through a photo album or folder quite conveniently. You can also play a file or an album automatically, or add the file to the mobile device to play back later. When viewing a photo, you also have options to share it via social media or e-mail. All of these options are tightly integrated. With music, background playing is supported, meaning the music will stay on when you close the app to open another app. This is a great feature if you want to listen to music and check your e-mail at the same time.

View attachment 91938

rameshchowdhary

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have been using all the apple products since day one but nexus 5 is the best I used so far except the camera , I used galaxy 3, note2, galaxy s4, all these are filled with bloated ware where nexus 5 is faster and more pleasing

Posted via Android Central App

heda_p

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about picking up a Nexus 5 ... Currently have the iPhone 5s (Love it) however as some of us share the same gadget addiction I am drooling to get my hands on a Nexus 5. Found a straight trade for my iPhone 5s to Nexus 5 (NIB) ... Just a little on the fence. I am heavily invested in both ecosystems so that wouldn't be a factor. Anyone here prefer their Nexus 5 to their iPhone 5/5s?

here's my experience
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ying-switch-nexus-5-5s-questions-experts.html

TarunVerma08

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
In the same boat as you man. I've been an iPhone user for a long time now and I'm thinking of switching from iPhone 5 to N5 too. For me, iOS 7 killed it. Too many bugs, crashes, lags and battery drains. However, I'm facing a lot of confusion regarding whether I should make the switch or not. I'm seriously going to miss the lack of gorgeous + functional apps that I have on my iPhone (Clear, Comic Zeal, Readable, Tweetbot, Sunrise Calendar etc.) since Android apps are downright ugly (exceptions exist, of course). I own a N7, and I love the syncing capabilities plus the customization it offers, as well as seamless data sharing between apps. And those things also matter to me (since iOS completely sucks in this department).
MAN I'M SO DAMN CONFUSED.
Also, any N5 user out there? How's the speakers? I've heard that they are pretty bad. And how is the headphone jack output? I've heard that the audio chip inside the N5 is pretty sub par too. (I listen to a lot of music..) I own a pair of Skullcandy Ink'd 2, and they are awesome with my i5. Will they be equally as good on the N5?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
In the same boat as you man. I've been an iPhone user for a long time now and I'm thinking of switching from iPhone 5 to N5 too. For me, iOS 7 killed it. Too many bugs, crashes, lags and battery drains.
The irony is that the stuff iOS7 added was stuff Android has already had for a while now. Those lags and drains are on the result of playing catch up...imagine how much worse it would be if they actually started adding iOS-specific features.

However, I'm facing a lot of confusion regarding whether I should make the switch or not. I'm seriously going to miss the lack of gorgeous + functional apps that I have on my iPhone (Clear, Comic Zeal, Readable, Tweetbot, Sunrise Calendar etc.) since Android apps are downright ugly (exceptions exist, of course).
That will change, but not soon. That is one of the benefits to a closed system.

Also, any N5 user out there?
I'm one.

How's the speakers?
Average. I don't think they are exceptional, but they don't suck. They are better than the Nexus 4.

And how is the headphone jack output?
Good. I'm not an audiophile, but I do not hear any hissing or static.

I've heard that the audio chip inside the N5 is pretty sub par too. (I listen to a lot of music..)
This is something you can probably test for yourself with a store unit.

campuscop2003

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from iPhone 5. I had the 4 then the 5 and was really getting bored with iOS. I was hoping iOS 7 would have been the thing that kept me with apple but that didn't happen. Got my nexie and couldn't be happier. The ability to change up the home screen with widgets should keep me from being overly bored like I ended up with 3 years of iOS .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Your link was from BGR's website. BGR is a known Android cheerleader...they are heavily biased. You won't convince anyone of anything using them as a source. It would be like using "9 to 5 Mac" or "macrumors.com" as a source proving that iPhones have better battery life...no one would it seriously. Just sayin. \

I dont like BGR either, but of all places to look for bias, a review of Apple's biggest flagship would be the first place I'd look. And I'm not seeing it.

TarunVerma08

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. So, what would be your suggestion? Should I go ahead and buy N5, or should I wait for the N6 (and therefore, Android 5)? I personally think that the platform, by then, would be having a great deal of amazing apps, plus more stability. But since I'm too damn smitten by N5 and KitKat, I don't know whether I should wait or just trade in my i5 :-\

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. So, what would be your suggestion?
What is most important to you? Neither phone will do everything the best. So you should identify the main things you care about and pick a phone based on those things.

Should I go ahead and buy N5, or should I wait for the N6 (and therefore, Android 5)?
I would not buy anything unless you are reasonably sure you will like it better than what you already have.

I personally think that the platform, by then, would be having a great deal of amazing apps, plus more stability.
Apps are subjective, but I have found Android to be extremely stable since at least the Nexus 4. The HTC Rezound I had before that was also very stable.

iOS is actually not as stable as people think it is. The OS is just better at covering up crashes. - Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes - And I do not mean to diminish this...Android should cover up crashes this well too.

But since I'm too damn smitten by N5 and KitKat, I don't know whether I should wait or just trade in my i5
Why are you smitten? If you are smitten it sounds like the Nexus 5 does well in the areas you care about.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I ended up going back to my iPhone 5S. To be honest, there really isn't a good reason. I just decided to go back to it. I use my iPhone 5S like a Nexus anyway. I have downloaded many Google apps and really have a similar experience going on.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I ended up going back to my iPhone 5S. To be honest, there really isn't a good reason. I just decided to go back to it. I use my iPhone 5S like a Nexus anyway. I have downloaded many Google apps and really have a similar experience going on.

Do you just like the size better?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you just like the size better?

I like the apps better. The form factor really doesn't matter too much to me. But I also have an iPad air and I really like the combination of having two devices.

TechNut13

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 4S and I couldn't be happier with the N5. I absolutely love the screen and all the customization's that I can do. All my apps were available and since most of them were free that was never an issue. Also I love using the swiftkey keyboard to swipe and type. This is a huge feature. I hated typing on my iPhone. The notification center is leaps and bounds ahead of apple. and the notification light is very convenient.

I really only have one complaint about the N5 and that is the audio quality when listening to MP3's over my headphones. Apple is way ahead of Google here. I am thinking it is because of apples extensive experience with iPods. I have found ways to make it a little better but it still does not compare with my old iPhone 4S, For this reason alone if apple comes out with a 5 inch screen or close for the iPhone 6 I might switch back, It really is the only compliant I have with the N5, I love listening to music and so this issue is important to me. Right now I find myself using my iPhone 4S as an iPod when I want to listen to music.

I am considering getting the HTC Once GPE but it is hard to get as it is not sold in Canada. I have heard this is one of the best phones to listen to music on and since it is a GPE it gets all the updates from Google in a timely manner.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a change of player would help for music? I have no complaints, it sounds perfect to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty