Why does video calling suck so bad (not on the N5, just in general)?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This is not a Nexus 5 complaint...I LOVE my N5!

Video calling on the last 3 phones I've had (the GNex, the N4 and the N5) has consistently sucked...very choppy, poor video quality, poor audio quality. This is both over a solid wifi as well as a strong cell signal, even on different cell networks. I've always done it using Hangouts. Is there a better way, is it just me, or is it just the way it is?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have thought the opposite. Video chat over hangouts has been great to me. Just as good as FaceTime.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
^^^Ditto. 3rd party apps don't seem to give decent video quality compared to Hangouts or FaceTime (on the Apple side). I use Tango alot to talk to my in-laws overseas (they refuse to use Hangouts), and the video quality isn't much different from video chatrooms from the early days of the internet.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
When you use video chat, you are at the mercy of your phone, your connection speed, your software, the other person's connection speed and their device and software. Not really a lot that you can control.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I have used Tango, Skype and Hangouts and they all work great for me.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess it depends on all of the factors listed above. Facetime and Skype on the iPhone/iPad work very well. I haven't really done much video chatting with any of my Android phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress