Nexus 5 Wireless Charger - Unboxing Pictures

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Does this hold the N5 in place with magnets?

magnets - yes sir. and the bottom of the charger has a sticky rubber substance that really holds the charger in place. this thing is really tiny. one minor thing is i'm not hearing a notification sound upon placing the phone on the charger and commencing of charging - i know the Nexus 4 had this sound i wonder if Google removed it in Kit Kat/Nexus 5???

EvanJ18

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
magnets - yes sir. and the bottom of the charger has a sticky rubber substance that really holds the charger in place. this thing is really tiny. one minor thing is i'm not hearing a notification sound upon placing the phone on the charger and commencing of charging - i know the Nexus 4 had this sound i wonder if Google removed it in Kit Kat/Nexus 5???

My Nexus 5 makes the connected/disconnected sound when I use my ORB. Not sure why yours wouldn't. Anyway do you have any cases that you can test how strong the magnets are?

Posted via Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 5 makes the connected/disconnected sound when I use my ORB. Not sure why yours wouldn't. Anyway do you have any cases that you can test how strong the magnets are?

Posted via Android Central App

1. my Nexus 5 happens to be at 98% battery. i read that possibly the device needs to be under 90% battery for the sound to occur? i don't like this.
2. i have a Diztronic TPU case and charging works fine with it. however - i don't really like NOT having a confirmation beep or a light to see that it's charging.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
what i didn't like was there is no indication that the phone is charging or beginning to charge. it's hard to tell if you actually hit the sweet spot. there is no sound notification, there is no pop up visual notification, there is no LED light. so unless the display is on - you don't know if it's charging or beginning to charge. and although the sweet spot is somewhat large and forgiving vs. predecessors - it is not perfect and fool-proof. i would like Kit Kat to be updated with a very brief notification which pops up every time you put the phone on the charger that says, of course, "Wireless Charging" as a confirmation in addition to a brief subtle sound. it is my understanding the sound notification does not always occur.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Do the magnets hold the N5 on there with the diztronic case on? Or is it too weak with a case on.

the magnets hold the device in the regular position with the TPU case on. BUT don't expect the same magnetic pull with the case as with off. you won't be able to put the charger sideways or upside down and expect the phone to stay on - not with the TPU case on. but it charges fine and it holds it fine otherwise.

my BIG problem is NO CHARGING INDICATOR! give me a sound, give me a pop up notification, give me an LED - give me something to let me know i hit the sweet spot!

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
the magnets hold the device in the regular position with the TPU case on. BUT don't expect the same magnetic pull with the case as with off. you won't be able to put the charger sideways or upside down and expect the phone to stay on - not with the TPU case on. but it charges fine and it holds it fine otherwise.

my BIG problem is NO CHARGING INDICATOR! give me a sound, give me a pop up notification, give me an LED - give me something to let me know i hit the sweet spot!

Set up light flow

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
what i didn't like was there is no indication that the phone is charging or beginning to charge. it's hard to tell if you actually hit the sweet spot. there is no sound notification, there is no pop up visual notification, there is no LED light. so unless the display is on - you don't know if it's charging or beginning to charge. and although the sweet spot is somewhat large and forgiving vs. predecessors - it is not perfect and fool-proof. i would like Kit Kat to be updated with a very brief notification which pops up every time you put the phone on the charger that says, of course, "Wireless Charging" as a confirmation in addition to a brief subtle sound. it is my understanding the sound notification does not always occur.

Does the screen not power on? I use the TYTL VU at work and the old Nexus 4 Orb at home.... I think your right and if your over 90% it does not make the sound but on both of my Qi wireless chargers any time I set the phone down as soon as it starts to charge the screen auto powers on.... Mine always makes the sound unless as stated above the charge is above 90 or so %..... but I always set mine down and then have to press the power button to turn the screen back off.. (or leave it alone for 20 minutes until the screen auto powers off)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Does the screen not power on? I use the TYTL VU at work and the old Nexus 4 Orb at home.... I think your right and if your over 90% it does not make the sound but on both of my Qi wireless chargers any time I set the phone down as soon as it starts to charge the screen auto powers on.... Mine always makes the sound unless as stated above the charge is above 90 or so %..... but I always set mine down and then have to press the power button to turn the screen back off.. (or leave it alone for 20 minutes until the screen auto powers off)

it does not. i would like some confirmation of hitting the sweet spot and there is NONE. the closest thing is that you must have the display on and look at the status bar for the tiny battery/charging icon. but you must have the screen on, it is tiny, and doesn't always come on right away. i don't want to be guessing and wondering if i hit the "sweet spot".

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
it does not. i would like some confirmation of hitting the sweet spot and there is NONE. the closest thing is that you must have the display on and look at the status bar for the tiny battery/charging icon. but you must have the screen on, it is tiny, and doesn't always come on right away. i don't want to be guessing and wondering if i hit the "sweet spot".

strange... My Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 on both wireless chargers the screen turns on after a second or two and it makes that audible sound (unless I have the phone set to silent) and then I have to manually turn the screen off..... UNLESS the charger isn't plugged in to power... I know once I set it down on my wireless charger at home and nothing happened (The Nexus 4 orb) I picked it up set it down again, nothing... I turned the screen on set it down and it never went to charging so I looked behind my night stand and the plug was out of the wall..... It's kind of double edged in that It's a mild annoyance to have to power the screen back off after setting it down but at least when the screen lights up I know it's charging.... I wish it would just make the tone sound and the screen would stay dark....

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
strange... My Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 on both wireless chargers the screen turns on after a second or two and it makes that audible sound (unless I have the phone set to silent) and then I have to manually turn the screen off..... UNLESS the charger isn't plugged in to power... I know once I set it down on my wireless charger at home and nothing happened (The Nexus 4 orb) I picked it up set it down again, nothing... I turned the screen on set it down and it never went to charging so I looked behind my night stand and the plug was out of the wall..... It's kind of double edged in that It's a mild annoyance to have to power the screen back off after setting it down but at least when the screen lights up I know it's charging.... I wish it would just make the tone sound and the screen would stay dark....

take a look at Phil's video above. that's exactly what mine does - NOTHING! am i missing something? do you see what i'm talking about in the video?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

what Google SHOULD have designed to happen when you place the device on the charger to confirm that it has begun charging and you hit the sweet spot -

1. display should turn on for a few quick seconds (if not on already).
2. brief pop up notification saying "Wireless Charging".
3. brief sound notification (default sound and also user defined - with none as an option).
4. display goes off and phone sleeps/charges/locks.

all of this should happen within just a few seconds.

do you agree????????

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
take a look at Phil's video above. that's exactly what mine does - NOTHING! am i missing something? do you see what i'm talking about in the video?

I see what your talking about I just don't understand why it wouldn't light up the screen.... The wireless charger is nothing but just that... a charger.... There isn't any firmware or software in that little box that I am aware of... You can't connect it to WiFi or your internet and update it.... Just a power source..... Just like any cable I use as soon as I plug the Nexus 5 (or every phone even iPhones or blackberries) the screen lights up as soon as power starts to push to the device....

I also can't see or find any settings that would keep it from powering up or make it power up the screen when charging..

WEIRD my friend... No clue..... I was kind of upset they came out with this FINALLY but after I had already ordered and started using the Vu (For almost $20 more)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
what Google SHOULD have designed to happen when you place the device on the charger to confirm that it has begun charging and you hit the sweet spot -

3. brief sound notification (default sound and also user defined - with none as an option).

do you agree????????

I agree.. Also from Phil's video I can't tell for certain if he has the charger actually plugged in or not... he swings the phone from the cord on the charger to show the magnet but you can't see if it's actually plugged to a power source... if there is no power to my Qi Chargers the screen does NOT light up when I set it down on them..

I am playing around with my settings and if I find something that might be of use I'll let you know...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

do you agree????????

Try setting your phone to daydream while charging..... See if that does anything?????

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non