Just Got a Nexus 5...It's AWESOME!

MLdroidN4

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
As the title suggests, I just got a new Nexus 5 this morning. A Black 16gb. Coming over from G2.

This is the first Nexus(or any other Android device) that has really WOW'ed me. Everything from the form factor to the smooth and buttery 4.4, has me satisfied and pleased.
I would say I'm a hybrid user, I use both the iOS and Android. Sometimes I switch, and sometimes simultaneously like as of now I'm using a Nexus 5 and an iPad Air.

After using the Nexus 4 briefly I was fairly disappointed with that. The glass backing was beautiful to look at but not practical, the display produced washed-out colors(for my eyes) and no LTE.
But the Nexus 5 is one complete device, slim beautiful profile, smooth soft-touch backing, display is much more pleasing to the eyes producing natural colors(neither washed-out like the N4 nor saturated like the G2). The only thing I was worried before getting the N5 was the display, looked through several comparison pictures and videos online but wasn't sure about it's quality. No need to worry now and no disappointments with it what so ever.
One small gripe I have(YMMV), is that the edges feel a little sharp(?). Meaning when holding the phone for a prolonged period of time it kinda starts hurting between the thumb and the index finger where the edge of the phone would rest when using one-handed. Not hurt in a painful way, but the edges definitely make their presence felt. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I've never experienced this before with any other device. I think I should get past this after a few days of usage.

I have owned several high-end smartphones previously--but none of those made me feel like coming here and creating a new thread just to express my joy, that's how pleased I am with the Google's latest flagship. :)

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
As the title suggests, I just got a new Nexus 5 this morning. A Black 16gb. Coming over from G2.

This is the first Nexus(or any other Android device) that has really WOW'ed me. Everything from the form factor to the smooth and buttery 4.4, has me satisfied and pleased.
I would say I'm a hybrid user, I use both the iOS and Android. Sometimes I switch, and sometimes simultaneously like as of now I'm using a Nexus 5 and an iPad Air.

After using the Nexus 4 briefly I was fairly disappointed with that. The glass backing was beautiful to look at but not practical, the display produced washed-out colors(for my eyes) and no LTE.
But the Nexus 5 is one complete device, slim beautiful profile, smooth soft-touch backing, display is much more pleasing to the eyes producing natural colors(neither washed-out like the N4 nor saturated like the G2). The only thing I was worried before getting the N5 was the display, looked through several comparison pictures and videos online but wasn't sure about it's quality. No need to worry now and no disappointments with it what so ever.
One small gripe I have(YMMV), is that the edges feel a little sharp(?). Meaning when holding the phone for a prolonged period of time it kinda starts hurting between the thumb and the index finger where the edge of the phone would rest when using one-handed. Not hurt in a painful way, but the edges definitely make their presence felt. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I've never experienced this before with any other device. I think I should get past this after a few days of usage.

I have owned several high-end smartphones previously--but none of those made me feel like coming here and creating a new thread just to express my joy, that's how pleased I am with the Google's latest flagship. :)

Great post! It seems like the N5 kind of got off to a rough start as far as complaints or users disappointed. I am loving mine so far and it's good to see someone else coming from another flagship and being happy with the N5.

Sent from my Nexus 5

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

D

I know exactly what you mean about the sharp edges but now that I've used it a lot more, I have no problem whatsoever. It feels a lot better in my hand now bare than my other phone does with a smooth case.

I think you'll get over that really fast. :D

Great post. I love seeing positive comments about the phone because I love mine so much! :D:D:D:D:D:thumbup::beer:

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

bubba3595

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine too!! Its awesome so far. I don't really notice the sharpness on the edges, but maybe that's because I came from an iphone like a poster above said.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I am finally getting the chance to play with mine after having it for about a week. I was on vacation. I have the N4 and fell in love all over again with the 5. The phone is fast, light and vibrant. Got it in white and love it. Nexus or BUST!! No UI's slowing it down but pure Google/Android goodness. Now what to do with my white N4?????

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm almost turning into a rabid fan of my n5! If I start foaming at the mouth in a Motox thread just hose me down. :p:D

MLdroidN4

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Kinda surprised to hear this, as most people agree the G2's hardware is better in every way.

Was it just the smoother UI you liked better?

Smoother, stock Android is what I liked the most.
Not saying G2's hardware or the phone itself is not good, G2 for me personally felt not so ergonomic to use at times. Bigger size combined with glossy slippery back and back buttons made it uncomfortable at times. N5 on the other hand feels perfect in almost every way. The size, the weight, non-slippery non-glossy soft touch back they all add-up and make a perfect phone.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
i dont get how people keep saying the edges hurt, its not that bad or any worse than other phones

Can't speak for others but in my case I have nerve damage and touch is hugely magnified on my skin. Plus I've been using my other large phone with a tpu case so it feels very smooth edged. I just wasn't used to holding a large phone bare. But I really like the way my n5 feels in my hand now. It's lighter and more ergonomic than my other LG. I love my Nexus 5!

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 4 is at least 3 years old and i never found them remotely sharp. Certainly the 5 and 5s aren't either. The Nexus 5 screen does look better than the nexus4 but is a little washed out compared to an iPhone screen. But then almost everything is because Apple puts a lot of effort into calibration..

You don't find iPhone edges kind of sharp? I owned an iPhone 4 and it became uncomfortable at times

Posted via Android Central App

MLdroidN4

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
i dont get how people keep saying the edges hurt, its not that bad or any worse than other phones

Like I mentioned in my original post, it is a subjective issue.
A lot of factors affect in how one feels or handles the phone. For example, size of one's hand/palm, one-handed use vs. two-handed use, with or without a case these are some variables that play a big part.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just listened to the AC podcast from November 7 and I'm baffled by how blase the fellows were about the Nexus 5. To me it's an amazing phone.

I think they're just so spoiled and jaded that unless the phone cooked them a gourmet dinner, cleaned the house, walked the dog, and flew them to Jupiter, they just weren't going to find anything to be excited about. :mad:

It's a shame. I love this phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

flattie

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
For me, the N5 is quite literally the best device I've ever held. I love both the look and feel of the handset. It melts into my hand, leaving just the display. Google got this aspect absolutely spot on.

Posted via Android Central App