Nexus 5 screen - Gorilla Glass 3 strength?

rya68

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just have a question about the GG3. Anyone had practical experience with it on the nexus 5 screen? How's the durability & damage resistant features (i.e. day-to-day accidental bumps & knocks on the screen; (except dropping it))?

Last night, while changing i hit my kneecap directly on my nexus 5 screen & heard an audible impact sound. Any idea if the GG3 can take such a one-time direct impact by my kneecap? or will it cause any stress/strain to the glass?

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: nexus 5 screen -Gorilla Glass 3 strength?

The screen is probably more likely to shatter from a lateral impact than hitting you knee. Probably the worst thing you can do is drop it on it's corner onto a hard surface.

GG is just risk reduction....you screen can still shatter and crack. It's just slightly harder to do.

rya68

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Ok, so as long as i don't drop my nexus 5 at all, the force produced by accidental direct impact bumps such as my kneecap striking it is far from enough to cause any sort f damage to the screen?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't have an N5 but my S4 has GG3 too. I've dropped it a few times and it hasn't shattered but I wouldn't say it's any better at surviving direct impacts or high drops than any other screen. It's more of a scratch-resistant display than it is shatterproof

Posted via Android Central App

rya68

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't have an N5 but my S4 has GG3 too. I've dropped it a few times and it hasn't shattered but I wouldn't say it's any better at surviving direct impacts or high drops than any other screen. It's more of a scratch-resistant display than it is shatterproof

Ok thanks for the information.
What about my situation, is the force produced by my knee accidentally striking the screen far from sufficient to cause any damage to it?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Ok, so as long as i don't drop my nexus 5 at all, the force produced by accidental direct impact bumps such as my kneecap striking it is far from enough to cause any sort f damage to the screen?
I've done more than that to my HTC Rezound which only has 1st gen GG and never cracked it.

And GG is stronger, it's just not invulnerable. I have dropped my Nexus 5 already from a few feet with no shatter. I dropped my Rezound from waist height with no shatter as well.

My nexus 4 fell from waist height onto tile without damage. But fell from thigh height later and did shatter.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

GG3 can handle impact better than aircraft aluminum

gorilla glass 3 scratch test

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks for the information.
What about my situation, is the force produced by my knee accidentally striking the screen far from sufficient to cause any damage to it?

Unless it fell from a lot higher I wouldn't worry about it. Not like it happens often, right?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

kneecap is fine, soft, large surface of impact. damage is usually down with hard, brutal force at small contact area. p=f/s.

TrueBlueLS

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I was able to scratch my screen Wednesday after my phone fell out of my hand while opening my car door. I'm waiting to hear back from LG on how much it will cost to replace.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

GG3 can handle impact better than aircraft aluminum

17 years in the Aircraft repair business and let me tell you... Aircraft grade aluminum is not all that thick or strong.... It's pretty thin and light weight for the most part... It's the structure/skeleton underneath and how it's designed/angles that protect it from serious damage, the leading edges of the wings are thicker.... You get close enough to an aircraft you'll see dents all over the air frame... a solid enough object with the right angle will poke a hole right through it.... Just sounds real good in a test...... Overall though Gorilla glass is pretty solid... I keep my screen naked and rarely get any scratches on my devices... at least not scratches that affect the actual use or visual of the phone.... 2 years with my GS3 I had a couple of hairline scratches you could only see if you had the phone powered off and had the screen cleaned perfectly.... Even knowing exactly where the scratches were I couldn't see them with the screen on.... almost two months on the N5 and I don't see any scratches yet even with a clean screen... I do keep a bumper case on it to protect it from small drops......

Nebul0us82

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

The official Google Nexus 5 forums is littered with people complaing about the glass cracking and shattering. I would recommend everyone buy a Rhino Shield as I have, and a good case.

Last edited:

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

From my understanding, gorilla glass 3 is stronger at the same thickness, but manufacturers made the glass thinner so its really the same strength as gorilla glass 2. It is more scratch resistant though.