Google search Wakelock

rieuk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's talked about in a few other threads in related posts but I wanted to make a thread just for this. Google search creates EntriesRefresh_wakelock and I have no idea how to stop it. You kill it and it just comes back. Perpetually keeping the phone awake. :-(

mr.rickeyk

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Is it having a negative effect on your battery? I've noticed that this device stays awake or is woke up more often than any other device I've ever had. I've also noticed my battery life has been great. Best I've had on a device. I have every Google Service on and running all day and with my typical moderate use throughout my long day, I've not needed to throw it on a charger like I did with my Nexus 4.

I know with some of the changes in Kit Kat, most of the services now run in a low power state that will keep your device awake and NOT kill your battery. I'm noticing it first hand and I'm very impressed.

Every once in awhile you might find a app or service that's hogging all your resources or is going crazy. But a quick reboot usually fixes it. I've had that happen once in the 3 weeks I've had my device.

So unless your noticing something bad with this wake lock, I'd say let Google Now/Search do its thing... That's why I bought a Nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rieuk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure how efficiently it runs in the background but that's beside the point. The process is needlessly keeping the phone awake when it doesn't need to be. So yeah battery life is affected quite a bit with Google search taking top or second spot on the battery consumption stats.

I've turned off Google now at the moment to see if that's the problem and so far it looks like it is - but that's not so helpful because I would really like to keep using Google now.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
It's talked about in a few other threads in related posts but I wanted to make a thread just for this. Google search creates EntriesRefresh_wakelock and I have no idea how to stop it. You kill it and it just comes back. Perpetually keeping the phone awake. :-(

Google Search was acting up on my phone in this manner right after I updated to 4.4.2. I went to the Setup / Apps page, uninstalled the Google Search updates, rebooted the phone, then reinstalled Google Search.

After I rebooted the phone again I noticed the Google Now screen was not present, and my icon layout was bunged up. I turned on Google Now, repositioned my icons and widgets like they were, and all has been well since.

FWIW, Google Search was showing as consuming as much as 45% of the battery processes, and was severely impacting battery life. Since I reinstalled GS, it hasn't been an issue.

rieuk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Setup / Apps page, uninstalled the Google Search updates, rebooted the phone, then reinstalled Google Search.

If you only uninstalled the updates, why did you need to re-install Google Search? I tried uninstalling Google Search but isn't it a native app (comes with Android) so you can't? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway on disabling Google Now the problem went away which is what I suspected - it's tied into Google Now...

ltdorn

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
if you have location services turned off.. then googe search uses mass battery!
turn location services back on "lowpower" and your battery will be good.

rieuk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
if you have location services turned off.. then googe search uses mass battery!
turn location services back on "lowpower" and your battery will be good.

Hmm could be some truth to that ... low power means the "low battery" setting, where it uses WiFi?

LandsAlot4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
When I updated to the latest Google search app on both my nexus 7 and nexus 5 I've had wake lock for hours. Any information on why this happened with that update?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I had that issue, but I noticed it only happens once every 3 weeks or so. My phone is fine now. The only way I got it to stop (temporarily) is to force stop, clear data, uninstall updates, reboot. But it comes back after a couple of hrs. It does hurt battery life. I normally get 13-15 hrs of battery time, 3.5-4 hrs of screen on time. When this wake lock happens I get 8hrs of battery time, 1.5hrs of screen on time.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

LandsAlot4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I did try that and doesn't seem like it worked. IDK everything seem to work fine with this phone until i installed that update and it has been sh*t since. Can't even enjoy the phone, it just drains the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38