Nexus 5 few days in

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, I bought a Nexus 5 as a Christmas gift to myself and have been using it for the past few days. I figured I'd share my thoughts on it so far.

For full disclosure, I have had the device since Thursday the 19th, I've been using it as my daily driver since Friday the 20th. I've been in a variety of coverage areas, from complete LTE, to 3G HSPA (where I'm currently at), to 2G. I have the 32GB black version.

First, the things I've enjoyed about the Nexus: I LOVE the stealth black look, and with the onscreen keys and logo less front, the entire front of the device blends together when the screen is off. I also am enjoying the on screen keys more than I thought I would. My previous device was an OG Galaxy Note, and before that the Samsung Stratosphere, before that another Samsung phone on Virgin Mobile. I got used to using the capacitive keys, and even had certain actions assigned to them on the lock screen. I was intrigued by on screen keys, but I thought it'd just be something I'd get used to and not think anything else of.

Next, I love the material LG used for the back. This is what every phone should be made of. It's durable, easy to keep clean, and most of all, a nice matte finish. It contributes nicely to the stealth look.

Kit Kat is awesome, but I had a taste of it using a custom ROM on my Note. Even without some of the added features that custom ROMs add, I'm still enjoying the software on my Nexus more. It's functional, easy to use, and smooth. I can't wait to use some of the features when I'm back in my usual residence.

I don't want to say too much about battery, because as I mentioned I'm on 3G and no wifi most of the time, but it's been great as well. I particularly love the fact that it uses no battery while on stand by, and it charges very quickly with the included charger. I've been running ART since the minute I opened the box, so I can't comment on battery life on Dalvik.

I updated to 4.4.2 as soon as I could, and I'm impressed by it. The camera is great, the speakers sound just fine, as the whole thing runs smoothly.

If there's one or two things I would change, I would have a bigger battery and larger screen. I've said in other threads that my perfect device would be a Nokia Lumia 1520 running vanilla Android 4.4.2, and I hope that happens somehow (not holding my breath though).

I want to do a more in depth review once I've used the device in my usual residence and with my normal routine. It'll also be good to get impressions from my friends. I really would like to get into the technology reviewing business, and I'm hoping my review of the Nexus 5 (and other devices I may pick up soon) will help that.

Finally, I want to wish everyone Happy Holidays! If anyone thinking of buying the phone has any questions for me, feel free to post them and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Edit: I'm using Straight Talk for service, and can't send or receive MMS messages, though I've heard that's more Straight Talk's fault than Google/LG's.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez