Do you get insurance, and if so, which one?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just curious--for those of you who bought your N5 outright from Google, did you also purchase an insurance plan? If so, which one? Personally, I think it's a good idea--I got a 2 year plan from SquareTrade for $125 (so about $5/month). Peace of mind in case I accidentally drop the thing in the toilet or the lion habitat at the zoo or something crazier.:p

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Sprint does not cover my phone because they do not sell the 32gb N5. So no insurance for me. My last 3 phones though I took care of them. Never cracked a screen, no case, no screen protector. Only positive thing is my bill has gone down 11 a month

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Never have bought insurance for my phone and never had anything happen to it. Never used a case either.

Watch, I'll fall down the stairs going to lunch now and smash it in my pocket to smithereens.... :eek:

evostudios

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have my Nexus 5 insured through Nationwide, costs me $30/year. If anything happens to it (broken screen, lost, gets wet) they replace it with no other fees. Best phone insurance ever.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have my Nexus 5 insured through Nationwide, costs me $30/year. If anything happens to it (broken screen, lost, gets wet) they replace it with no other fees. Best phone insurance ever.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Holy mackerel, that's cheap! Can you post a link to the insurance page, for quick reference?

Posted via Android Central App

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm purchasing a Square Trade Warrenty also for the first time when mine comes in next week. From what i've read it seems like a good deal.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
No, I don't purchase phone insurance as I don't see the value in it. If the phone is stolen, my renter's insurance covers it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But what if it gets damaged from a drop or something? I would guess renter's insurance wouldn't cover that.

evostudios

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Holy mackerel, that's cheap! Can you post a link to the insurance page, for quick reference?

Sorry, I don't have a link for it. I'm actually not even sure of the name of the policy. I have all my insurance through nationwide so it was just added on to my policy. My uncle is an insurance agent for them and he set me all up with it. You can always make a quick phone call to find out.

evostudios

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have a link for it. I'm actually not even sure of the name of the policy. I have all my insurance through nationwide so it was just added on to my policy. My uncle is an insurance agent for them and he set me all up with it. You can always make a quick phone call to find out.

I believe it's called "personal inland marine policy"

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, so you already have some other full insurance policy with them--I assume they can add on items like a phone for that amount of money. I'm gussing it'd be difficult to find a standalone cellphone insurance policy for that cheap.

thetonyclifton

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
If you are in the UK, probably speaking to your home insurance providers would be the best bet. You can specify named or unnamed items up to a certain value, it usually means they have to be on your person but given it is a phone that shouldn't be a problem. Should also cost buttons (if anything at all), I added an engagement ring for loss, theft and damage and it didn't add anything to my premium.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll grant you that some have a tendency to accidents, :) but basically I consider insurance a scam. It's generally expensive considering what little it pays for. It would be one thing if it were $29.99 for two years, but it's not. The price in most cases seems rather stiff considering that all you get is a few hundred dollars in the worst case scenario. A couple of years ago, T-Mobile tried to get me to take what would have amounted to almost $200 in insurance costs for two years on a device that was worth about $400 new. That's not a good deal to me. (p.s. T-mobile jump does come with insurance as a default, i.e., they always try to sell it, but I'm pretty sure it's not mandatory.)

I suppose one day I will have an accident with a $500 device 3 weeks after I bought it and it won't be covered by warranty and yikes. But it hasn't happened yet and I go back a long way with smartphones. If an accident, otoh, happens 19 months after purchase--well, I'm close to a new device then anyway. It's already depreciated a lot. And it may not happen at all. I calculate the odds and the cost of insurance. I think overall I'd have to be really unlucky to get banged. And if I get unlucky once, it won't happen often. The insurance savings on the next phone will make it up. :)

To date, I'd say the money I've saved on insurance clearly has paid for a couple of devices over the years. If at some point it evens out a bit, the overall result still ain't bad. If you tend to be a little more, um, accident prone, your mileage may differ. ;)

thefishhawk

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
You definitely have to do some cost benefit analysis and know how much risk you are willing to take. I understand feeling good about having the security but for SqT?s policy it?s $125, plus a $75 deductible.* So you are out $200 if you break it.* The insurance costs more than half the phone.*** It costs $150 to replace the screen/case through LG.** (my wife shattered hers.)* Unless you have multiple occurrences, the cost percentage seems very high vs the value of the phone.*** If you break it once, you saved $50 vs insurance.* If you broke it twice, you are only out $25 over the insurance. ($275 vs. $300).** Guess if you are worried about water damage or crushage and not just drops then it?s another story.**** If I don?t break it for another 6 months or a year I could probably just pick up a new one or used at a discount.** Not sure the minimal risk justifies the price tag on the insurance. Would you pay half the price of your car to insure it? (ok, that might be a bad analogy :)) these policies should really be about $7 a month but with no or minimal deductibles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty