Google Nexus 5 Battery life

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Granted I'm still only on WiFi with my Nexus 5 and I don't play games on it but I was kind of amazed with some of the battery stats I was getting lately. Here's an example.

I think these two are from the same time, but typically at least 4 hours screen time and over 24 hours total.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391482931460.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391482931460.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 237
  • uploadfromtaptalk1391482966040.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391482966040.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 153

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
It definitely depends on service coverage in your area... I don't use my phone what I would consider hard in the least and I'm lucky to get 7 hours out of a charge. It's certainly not the best although the phone is awesome.

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It definitely depends on service coverage in your area... I don't use my phone what I would consider hard in the least and I'm lucky to get 7 hours out of a charge. It's certainly not the best although the phone is awesome.

Right, if my phone were on a carrier that would definitely tax the battery more. So does Facebook which I don't have installed and some other apps that continually call out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

serenemind

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes horrible battery life. Uninstalling apps and not using the phone as much while might be solutions to fix this problem but defeats the purpose of owning a smartphone as powerful as this. I have started looking for alternatives(other phones) already :)

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I want this to be my primary phone, but the battery life is killing it for me. I was willing to give up using my Note 3..... but hard to take a phone serious when I can't make it past 3pm. And not everyone has time to make charging their phone one of the to priorities of the day.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
If you're a heavy user, and are coming from a phone that has a beast of a battery like the note 3, then your disappointment is understandable. Speaking personally, I've been impressed with the battery life on mine. But I'm at most a moderate rather than a heavy screen user...And I'm usually able to charge throughout the day if and when I need to do so.

Should you care to try a few potential fixes before jumping ship....

1. Switch to ART runtime (unproven but some claim it extends battery life a little)

2. Keep your screen at 25% brightness (totally sufficient for nearly all environments--this *will* help)

3. Install juice defender or similar app and customize the settings to your needs

Best of luck

Moto X/Nexus 5

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
I get great battery life. I also don't install many applications, just a couple. To me, most websites have a nice mobile page so I don't see a need to install their application.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine is far from horrible....though it can be horribly inconsistent at times. Mainly at night when it is not even in use. Some nights I'll lose less than 5%, other nights I'll lose more than 30%. Very frustrating.

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Only been a couple days so far for me and I'm getting a pretty consistent 14 or so hours of time on the battery. I have moderate to poor sprint reception and about 1.5-2 hours of screen time. Much better than my gnex.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
People put up with these stats? My aging Echo (2.5yr) with its original 1350mAh batteries still goes over a day on one battery with at least two hours of screen-on time. In dual screen mode with the spare battery plugged in, Telenav actively navigated me on a three hour drive over the holidays...***** self forgot the car adapter :/ If new phones with 3000mAh+ batteries cannot do this, what am I to do for my next device?

To the person that said Note 3 has heroic battery, could you please PM me about your experience?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One charge lasts me a whole day, usually with 40-60% left before I go to bed. I think most phones these days are intended to charge every night, so my stats are very easy to put up with.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm not on facebook every thirty seconds or uploading hundreds of pictures/videos to instagram or whatever the latest social picshare is, but I'm getting a full day out of the phone with about 50% left at the end of the day, every day. I don't know how much better it can get.

Cam Barnard

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I was having a similar problem with my Google Nexus 7 recently. I'd unplug it and leave it overnight sleep/idle and it would be down 20+ % and warm to boot ... it was doing SOMETHING.
I read a lot about disabling various functions etc. but in the end what fixed my issue was clearing the Android Cache Partition. Now when I leave the tablet overnight it is perhaps down 2-3%. I didn't have to disable anything, I didn't have to do a factory reset.
The troubleshooter in me is annoyed that I don't know WHY this solved the problem but it clearly did as my battery life has changed drastically and I'm using the tabled exactly the same way I have been previously.
I have a theory ... but it is just a theory. Right after I cleared the Android Cache Partition two Google apps/services updated (one was calendar the other escapes me). My theory is that there was something Google specific, stored in the cache, that was continually trying to update and failing to do so, and that this is what was chewing the battery.
In my mind this also explains why so many people say that if you do a factory reset your battery life problems will be fixed. When you do a factory reset on of the things that happens is your Android Cache Partition is cleared.

There are lots of places where you can get instructions on how to clear the Android Cache Partition. It doesn't 'cost' you anything as the device still has your apps and menus, and it may help you greatly.

-Cam

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So from full to emptyi got 11 and a half hours on battery with 3 and a half hours of screen on time. Part of this I was asleep. Is this good?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
3.5 hrs of screen on time is typical. The battery life with screen off depends on what kinds of apps are running in the background, and how often they're refreshing or accessing the web.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Look at your battery stats in Settings>Battery, and see what apps seem to use the most battery. There are also a lot of 3rd party battery monitors that can give you more detail.

It's also worth looking through your apps to see if they have data refresh settings. The more often apps refresh on the web, the more battery they use.

See more tips here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Look at your battery stats in Settings>Battery, and see what apps seem to use the most battery. There are also a lot of 3rd party battery monitors that can give you more detail.

It's also worth looking through your apps to see if they have data refresh settings. The more often apps refresh on the web, the more battery they use.

See more tips here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

Well, when I looked at the battery info page before my phone died, it was the screen taking up most of it. Followed by chrome, then android SYESTEM, ANDROID is, pocket casts, and media server. Do I need to be force closing every running app in the running section of the apps menu in settings? Or that's unnecessary as long as they are not showing up in my battery use log?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty