Media Volume and Tasker Problem

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone here uses Tasker or any other program to automatically turn the media volume to max? This is convenient as I want the volume maxed out when I connect to my cars bluetooth (otherwise I really have to crank up the stereo volume), but I don't want media volume on max when not connected. In the past I have used one of two apps (Tasker or Bluetooth Connect & Play). Both of these apps are having issues adjusting the media volume when they worked perfectly on my pre kitkat phones. Sometimes it works correctly and maxes out the volume, other times it doesn't change it at all. Anyone else experienced this or know of a fix?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't have KK yet but I've had a similar problem with Tasker. What I ended up doing was doubling up on the action in the task and using a wait statement. For example in your case something like>
When Bluetooth enabled Max volume>wait 3 sec>Max volume

Or you could try just putting in a wait statement. For example>
When Bluetooth enabled Wait 3 sec>Max volume

It was like the task would run but the timing was off and my actions weren't taking effect or it was sensing the action and stopped sensing it even though the action was still taking place. Tasker is great though, not as great as it was when it could control GPS and Airplane Mode :'( but I hope I can still use it some when we get KK.

GL

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have KK yet but I've had a similar problem with Tasker. What I ended up doing was doubling up on the action in the task and using a wait statement. For example in your case something like>
When Bluetooth enabled Max volume>wait 3 sec>Max volume

Or you could try just putting in a wait statement. For example>
When Bluetooth enabled Wait 3 sec>Max volume

It was like the task would run but the timing was off and my actions weren't taking effect or it was sensing the action and stopped sensing it even though the action was still taking place. Tasker is great though, not as great as it was when it could control GPS and Airplane Mode :'( but I hope I can still use it some when we get KK.

GL

I have already tried the second method you mentioned without success. I will try the first and see if that helps.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I just logged in from a long weekend but I'm seeing more posts about volume issues since the KK update. It may not be related to Tasker at all.

Since updating to kit kat (4.4.2 on Bell) the volume control for media has been sketchy - it doesn't happen all the time, but occasionally if I try to change the volume with either the hard buttons or the software mixer it has no effect on the volume of what's playing. I've noticed for media playing in the chrome browser as well as the youtube app specifically. I've also noticed that sometimes when I try to adjust the volume in the software mixer it plays a reference sound like it does for when you change the alarm volume, as if I've using the wrong slider (which I'm not). I've also noticed it happening when I'm using headphones as well as the speakers. I've restarted the phone completely but it keeps happening...

Later after some testing they go on to say that the volumes seem to trade places, i.e. Phone volume begins to control Media and Media seems to control Notifications, etc... If this is true your issue could be that when you are attempting to max out the media volume you are maxing out some other volume instead. They describe it as not a noticeable change as in the indicator for that volume changes but as a, even though you can see it as maxed out in reality something else is maxed out type thing. Which brings me to my point and question. Have you after Tasker is supposed to be controlling the volume gone in to look at the indicators just to see if in fact the media volume is maxed out? This would indicate that Tasker is doing what is requested but the phone its self is not responding correctly. One additional thing that could help is if, let's say, when this happens it is consistent i.e. when Media volume is not affected it has switched to Notification volume control you could change the task to include Notification volume and max them both out. That way if it is working your covered and if it's not working your still covered. Just a thought.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you after Tasker is supposed to be controlling the volume gone in to look at the indicators just to see if in fact the media volume is maxed out?

Yes, I have done that. When Tasker successfully maxes the volume the slider shows it at max. When Tasker is unsuccessful the volume slider is not maxed. I don't think it's a Tasker problem, as another app has the same issues - both of which worked fine on my previous phone. It seems to be a kitkat/nexus 5 issue. I did find this post of someone else experiencing the issue:

Tasker on Nexus 5 - Page 5 - xda-developers

There is also an issue with media volume changing. I have a profile that increase the volume when connected to my car and decreases it when disconnected. When this run for the first time after a reboot, it works perfectly. But if the profile is triggered the 2nd time, the volume just won't increase. I had the same profile on a 4.3 Nexus 4 and it worked perfectly fine. I only noticed this on Nexus 5.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you done a factory reset? I ask because, while I don't use Tasker to control volume, I have not experienced any volume control issues since the update. It could very well just be a bug from the update and FR usually clears those up.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I'm out of ideas. It is possible that it could be the equipment.? This reply will shoot the issue back to the top of the threads getting it a few more looks hopefully someone will have another suggestion.

r898713

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Correction - I found the problem. The exit action taking the phone out of silent mode kicks in 1 minute AFTER the time set in the Profile. I just wasn't waiting long enough.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana