Poor service

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
If I switched from an iPhone 4s ATT to a nexus 5 ATT should I still get a new Sim? My service is very unreliable and I'm curious if a new Sim will help

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If I switched from an iPhone 4s ATT to a nexus 5 ATT should I still get a new Sim? My service is very unreliable and I'm curious if a new Sim will help

The 4S doesn't support 4G or LTE, so you should get a new sim, otherwise your N5 will only get 3G speeds.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The att 4s will show 4g on the network indicator icon

The other versions of the 4S don't. That one didn't show 4G until after a software upgrade, but it's still 3G. It's AT&Ts refarmed H+

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The other versions of the 4S don't. That one didn't show 4G until after a software upgrade, but it's still 3G. It's AT&Ts refarmed H+

Correct, not all versions hence why I said the att 4s. But similarly on the Note 3, not all versions support 4GLTE

Att considers h+ to be 4g

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the service problems are related to the coverage area. You might have some improvement with the Nexus 5, but likely not by much. Do you know if anyone friends or family in your same area are having similar issues with AT&T?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Correct, not all versions hence why I said the att 4s. But similarly on the Note 3, not all versions support 4GLTE

Att considers h+ to be 4g

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
Either way, it won't support LTE on the N5

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
My 4s supported 4g but not LTE. I have LTE but it fluctuates so rapidly. I'll stand in the same spot and go from 3 bars to none and so on

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed with the N5 (had a Moto X, GS3, GS2, iPhone, to name a few in the past) that it does not seem to have as robust of a cell phone radio. It seems the other phones did better keeping my signal where the N5 does not. The tradeoffs are worth it, IMO, because I use an ATT M-Cell at work and WiFi pretty much everywhere I go.

WiFi, 802.11n 5Ghz, performs much better than my GS3, Moto X or Atrix 4G (Atrix 4G did not support 802.11n).

Conclusion: Cell coverage in remote areas is poor (even comparing signal in dBm) compared to past phones I have owned. WiFi awesomeness does make up for it.

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I live in Orange County and never experienced this issue before. I'm not sure if your familiar with California Highways but I'll be on the 5 freeway and I from full service to almost no bars. Hopefully when I get the time I'll get a new sim and see what happens. Does ATT charge for a new SIM?

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I live in Orange County and never experienced this issue before. I'm not sure if your familiar with California Highways but I'll be on the 5 freeway and I from full service to almost no bars. Hopefully when I get the time I'll get a new sim and see what happens. Does ATT charge for a new SIM?

Not familiar with OC, but I know what you are talking about in regards to having service then losing it. I am also very familiar with the cell sites and geography of the area I live. When I lose signal because of where I am driving, I usually know why.

AT&T shouldn't charge you for the SIM, but every time I have done so was because I was doing so to get a different type: SIM, Micro, Nano etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty