"Error While Searching for Networks" when scanning for Network Extenders

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Very interesting. Exactly what I'm seeing. And I'm guessing that as soon as you tab the line to go to that window, you'll see the same thing appear on the bottom, for just a split second or so, so easy to overlook.

So at least it's not just some peculiarity of my particular phone. Thanks for posting.
Yes, as soon as I tap on Network Extenders, it shows the error as well. Probably because it automatically tries to do an initial scan as soon as it goes to that screen.

Reactions: DLCPhototography

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Since we're on the topic, can I ask you about your network extender? Specifically, do you connect your extender to your home internet service, and your phone just connects to the extender via 5G/LTE? Or is the extender more like a cell repeater, where you have an antenna outside that connects to the distant cell tower and then you connect to your extender via 5G/LTE?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Since we're on the topic, can I ask you about your network extender? Specifically, do you connect your extender to your home internet service, and your phone just connects to the extender via 5G/LTE? Or is the extender more like a cell repeater, where you have an antenna outside that connects to the distant cell tower and then you connect to your extender via 5G/LTE?
It is a femto-cell device, which is actually 4G (there isn't a 5G one that I'm aware of). It generates a 4G signal that your phone, at least in theory, connects to. The extender connects to Verizon's servers using your internet connection (via an ethernet cable), and also connects via GPS to a variety of satellites (for location, not connection related).

This is different from the other option, where you have an external antenna that connects to a cell tower, and that signal is amplified in your home. That type of connection would not need an internet connection. But it would depend on having a physical antenna and wiring, and a reachable cell tower in the area, so is at least in my case, less convenient.

My home has very poor native Verizon signal, so theoretically the Network Extender is the ideal solution. But the reality is that it randomly connects to it, disconnects other times, etc., even though I'm literally within 10-15 feet of it most of the time. They claim it would serve a 7500 sq ft home.

I can also use WiFi calling, which again theoretically would make having any cell signal at all unnecessary.

But what I have seen, worse with my prior S21 Ultra for the past 3 years, and now my brand new S24, is that I will still have missed calls, where even though I'm seeing a solid WiFi connection, and even when I'm connected with 5 Bars to the Network extender, calls will go straight to voicemail. And then there are other times, with the same conditions, connected to or not connected to the network extender, where I'll be in the middle of a call, and it will abruptly drop, out of nowhere.

I thought of switching to another carrier, but I have no reason to believe things would be any better.

Honestly, I miss the days of the plain old telephone service, with their copper lines. Better call quality, no audio lag, etc. - it just worked.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
So it connects to your internet connection. That's what I thought. I ask because I'm in a large suburban subdivision, and I can only connect to my neighbor's 5G cell extender about 1000ft away. As a result, I do not get the speed benefit of using a genuine Verizon 5Guw cell tower connection. When I'm connected to his extender, my 5Guw speeds are limited by the speed of his internet connection, which is Spectrum, same as mine. And when our Spectrum internet connections go down (seems whenever the wind blows), I still can only connect to his cell extender, which goes nowhere when our Spectrum internet is down. In no scenario can I connect to a Verizon cell tower from my home. But not because I'm too far from a tower. Because his extender has a stronger signal.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So it connects to your internet connection. That's what I thought. I ask because I'm in a large suburban subdivision, and I can only connect to my neighbor's 5G cell extender about 1000ft away. As a result, I do not get the speed benefit of using a genuine Verizon 5Guw cell tower connection. When I'm connected to his extender, my 5Guw speeds are limited by the speed of his internet connection, which is Spectrum, same as mine. And when our Spectrum internet connections go down (seems whenever the wind blows), I still can only connect to his cell extender, which goes nowhere when our Spectrum internet is down. In no scenario can I connect to a Verizon cell tower from my home. But not because I'm too far from a tower. Because his extender has a stronger signal.
Interesting. If you don't want your phone to connect to his network extender, he can configure that in the extender's setup menu. By default they're open to any phone, but he can restrict them to only certain phones. He would need to log into his Verizon account, and the extender should be listed as a device along with his phones. He can then select "manage" and assign which phone numbers he wants it to connect to.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. If you don't want your phone to connect to his network extender, he can configure that in the extender's setup menu. By default they're open to any phone, but he can restrict them to only certain phones. He would need to log into his Verizon account, and the extender should be listed as a device along with his phones. He can then select "manage" and assign which phone numbers he wants it to connect to.
This is good information. I didn't know they could be configured like that. Makes sense though. Unfortunately, I don't know this person. He's a couple of blocks away from me. But even if I did ask him to limit his extender to just his family's phones, I would then just connect to another neighbor's extender that I used to connect to, and that guy has an even slower internet connection.

I'm surprised to learn that these extenders default to being open for anyone connecting to them. I'm using his internet bandwidth, and he (and Spectrum) have no idea that I doing so. I also use my phone as a hotspot from home when the power goes out to connect to work, and that can be a lot of data during a power outage. And I'm sure other neighbors with Verizon are also connecting to his extender as well. Anyway, thanks for the discussion. It's been very enlightening.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I contacted Tech Support at Samsung, and they were as clueless as customer support. I had to explain to the rep what a network extender was. I did go in through Samsung Tutor, using that phone number, and was prepared to allow them to remote in, but he didn't ask for it, and I don't think he would know what to do if he did.

The Samsung Members app does have some built-in diagnostics, which is a nice feature, but when I ran them for the relevant items, they all reported normal.

It seems to be a systemic problem with Samsung phones connecting to the Verizon Network Extender. My wife has a Samsung A53, and has the same problem - sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. I asked the Samsung tech support guy to pass it up the chain as a bug report, but I have no expectation that anything will come from it.

The only other thing I can think of is to get a new Verizon SIM card. I'm now using eSIM only, so perhaps that might make a difference. Doubtful, but easy enough to try.

Reactions: winmod21

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, I contacted Tech Support at Samsung, and they were as clueless as customer support. I had to explain to the rep what a network extender was. I did go in through Samsung Tutor, using that phone number, and was prepared to allow them to remote in, but he didn't ask for it, and I don't think he would know what to do if he did.

The Samsung Members app does have some built-in diagnostics, which is a nice feature, but when I ran them for the relevant items, they all reported normal.

It seems to be a systemic problem with Samsung phones connecting to the Verizon Network Extender. My wife has a Samsung A53, and has the same problem - sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. I asked the Samsung tech support guy to pass it up the chain as a bug report, but I have no expectation that anything will come from it.

The only other thing I can think of is to get a new Verizon SIM card. I'm now using eSIM only, so perhaps that might make a difference. Doubtful, but easy enough to try.

I would try a physical SIM card. It's interesting how many people reporting connection issues are using eSIM. I don't think eSIM is ready for prime time yet.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I would try a physical SIM card. It's interesting how many people reporting connection issues are using eSIM. I don't think eSIM is ready for prime time yet.
Agreed. But the thing is, my wife's Samsung A53, and my prior S21 Ultra, both have physical SIM cards, and had similar problems.... It makes me less than optimistic that this will solve it, but you never know.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
~
Agreed. But the thing is, my wife's Samsung A53, and my prior S21 Ultra, both have physical SIM cards, and had similar problems.... It makes me less than optimistic that this will solve it, but you never know.
Sounds like it's worth a try.

You might also check-out Xfinity Mobile, as they use the Verizon network. Our cell signal & home Wi-Fi coverage have both been excellent w/ Xfinity, with no need for a Network Extender, as we did need w/ AT&T.
----------------
From the thread linked below:

When we moved from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile, last Sept, Xfi had some fairly decent incentives — e.g. $10~$15/mo. for 400~800 Mbps internet (the $10~$15 depending on auto-pay method),(btw, AT&T was charging us $62/mo for their '25 Mbps' so -called 'high speed Internet' 🙄) + $300 off new Samsung phones– when transferring ph # from another carrier + $100 Visa gift card– for every ph # transferred from another carrier + 3 phones for $95/mo plan (however, they've only been charging us $60/mo for 3 lines, so that's been Skookum! :cool:) + $600 trade-in (towards S23U) for my wife's Note 8.

Xfinity Mobile's service has been great; not a single issue; actually better than AT&T, throughout Western Michigan. Not sure 'bout nationally though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
@winmod21 - thanks for that.

I actually looked at T-Mobile at one point, but their cell reception at our home is no better than Verizon's, and they said they didn't have a network extender option, or if they did, it wasn't easily accessible.

We're in a reasonably populated area, and if I walk a little ways from our home, we're okay. But for whatever reason, our home is in a cell signal vacuum, regardless of the carrier.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
@winmod21 - thanks for that.

I actually looked at T-Mobile at one point, but their cell reception at our home is no better than Verizon's, and they said they didn't have a network extender option, or if they did, it wasn't easily accessible.

We're in a reasonably populated area, and if I walk a little ways from our home, we're okay. But for whatever reason, our home is in a cell signal vacuum, regardless of the carrier.
Interesting. Makes me kinda wonder if Xfi'x signal might, for who knows what reason, be any better?

I suppose you could call up Xfinity, or T-Mobile, or any cellular provider for that matter, and ask them if you could set an appt for them to send a Tech out to your residence to do a signal analysis test, (at no charge to you of course, since you'd be a potential new customer).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Makes me kinda wonder if Xfi'x signal might, for who knows what reason, be any better?

I suppose you could call up Xfinity, or T-Mobile, or any cellular provider for that matter, and ask them if you could set an appt for them to send a Tech out to your residence to do a signal analysis test, (at no charge to you of course, since you'd be a potential new customer).
I actually tried out T-Mobile, by signing up, and getting an eSIM to use. Lousy signal at my home, no different from Verizon. I doubt Xfinity would be any different.

As I've been researching further, I wonder if it's the 5G capability that could be contributing to the connection problem. There appears to be no way to turn off 5G on the S24/Verizon phone, and since the extender is 4G, it makes me wonder if the S24 is 'looking' for a 5G signal, rather than LTE, and doesn't connect for that reason.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I actually tried out T-Mobile, by signing up, and getting an eSIM to use. Lousy signal at my home, no different from Verizon. I doubt Xfinity would be any different.

As I've been researching further, I wonder if it's the 5G capability that could be contributing to the connection problem. There appears to be no way to turn off 5G on the S24/Verizon phone, and since the extender is 4G, it makes me wonder if the S24 is 'looking' for a 5G signal, rather than LTE, and doesn't connect for that reason.
That sounds like a real possibility. ;)

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

That is certainly a reasonable explanation. And if that's the case, the solution to your problem would be to replace your current 4G extender with a 5G model. I know they are available because I'm connected to my neighbor's 5G extender whenever I'm home. And my S24U never disconnects from that one.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
^^ @leerandall 's suggestion sounds like a solution. (y)

@DLCPhototography — Btw, an Xfi Mobile chat agent just replied thusly, with regards being able to turn off 5G:

"I would like to inform you that in the device there is an option from which you can only opt for 4G service so the device will remain connected with 4G services."

. . . forgot to specify an S24U, as you have, though I'm pretty sure he was referring to all devices.

Last edited:

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Samsung removed the ability to prefer the 4G network over the 5G network in the network connection settings, because the phone is supposed to switch correctly on its own.

Maybe try the following:

Open Google phone app (not Samsung)

Dial *#*#4636#*#* (no need to tap call)

Select "Phone Information"

Under "Phone info" there is a dropdown "Set Preferred Network Type" with many network type grouping selections.

Mine is currently set to "NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA"

Try selecting "LTE only" and see if that helps.

I'm not sure if that setting will survive a reboot - some say it does and some say it doesn't.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Samsung removed the ability to prefer the 4G network over the 5G network in the network connection settings, because the phone is supposed to switch correctly on its own.

Maybe try the following:

Open Google phone app (not Samsung)

Dial *#*#4636#*#* (no need to tap call)

Select "Phone Information"

Under "Phone info" there is a dropdown "Set Preferred Network Type" with many network type grouping selections.

Mine is currently set to "NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA"

Try selecting "LTE only" and see if that helps.

I'm not sure if that setting will survive a reboot - some say it does and some say it doesn't.

Unfortunately, the OP has a Verizon phone. Verizon disables the special codes, so he cannot do your procedure.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So I haven't been able to find a way to select 4G or 5G on my phone. As per above, Samsung updates have removed the functionality of the Samsung Band app, and getting access would require a more 'invasive' approach which I'm not yet willing to pursue.

This doesn't definitely *prove* that the connection problem with the extender originates in 4G vs 5G connectivity, but I have found that whenever my phone, or my wife's Samsung A53, are connected to the extender, the phone shows "4G" next to the bars icon, and it shows "5G" whenever it's not. This is certainly consistent with that theory.

^^ @leerandall 's suggestion sounds like a solution. (y)

@DLCPhototography — Btw, an Xfi Mobile chat agent just replied thusly, with regards being able to turn off 5G:

"I would like to inform you that in the device there is an option from which you can only opt for 4G service so the device will remain connected with 4G services."

. . . forgot to specify an S24U, as you have, though I'm pretty sure he was referring to all devices.
Interesting, but here's the problem: assuming Xfinity Mobile has no better signal in my home than Verizon or T-Mobile, then I would still need a network extender of some type. I'm assuming Xfinity doesn't have one, though I haven't looked into it, but if they don't, then I'm still going to have reception problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter