Nexus 5: Stock or custom? Your thoughts

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, just curious what your thoughts are on custom roms vs stock on the Nexus 5?

I'll start it off:
I've been full circle. I started with a stock nexus 5 for a couple months, then ventured into rooting and playing with custom Kernels, and then moved to trying custom roms, and have come back to the stock rom and kernel (still rooted and unlocked).

Right now I prefer stock because I find that, although it lacks some of the built in customizations, it seems to work the best. Apps, camera, battery, all seem to perform the best (for me) on the stock rom and kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Stock or custom? Your thoughts

Personally I'd keep it stock and just root for some extra app functionality (I like titanium backup).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Rooted Stock is where it's at. You get OTA updates when they happen, and you can still customize a lot. XPosed is useful if you don't want to run ART and will let you customize a lot without leaving stock.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Rooted-custom. Can't imagine any other way. I can't last a day on stock. Progress is too slow!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

If this question was for any other device, I would probably agree with custom. Faster updates. But a Nexus...I am sticking with stock myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

I was an AOSP flash-a-holic when I had Sense/TW. Nexus cured that.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Hi everyone, just curious what your thoughts are on custom roms vs stock on the Nexus 5?

I'll start it off:
I've been full circle. I started with a stock nexus 5 for a couple months, then ventured into rooting and playing with custom Kernels, and then moved to trying custom roms, and have come back to the stock rom and kernel (still rooted and unlocked).

Right now I prefer stock because I find that, although it lacks some of the built in customizations, it seems to work the best. Apps, camera, battery, all seem to perform the best (for me) on the stock rom and kernel.
Stock, unless there is something specific you have to have.

Custom kernels make upgrading annoying and tedious. I had one on the Nexus 4 just so I could correct the awful stock gamma on it and get deeper blacks. But to upgrade I basically have to start over. It was annoying.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm running unrooted stock. I do have ART turned on - the speed increase seems minimal but battery life is good.

I would root if I could, but my workplace IT will ban any rooted device from accessing the Exchange servers (which I need to do). They use Mobile Iron to administer Android and iOS devices. So no root for me.

But other than a handful of minor apps, I've not yet found a need to root the N5. Other phones, yes. This one, not so far.

Posted via Android Central App

evostudios

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

My Nexus 5 is stock. I have the bootloader unlocked because I assumed I would be rooting and flashing roms but I haven't. I'm a big fan of cyanogenmod and have flashed it in many devices, but I just love my Nexus 5's smoothness running stock kit kat.

Posted via Android Central App

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

Well... I caved. Back to a custom rom. Got bored with stock. Now I'm running Slimkat 3.8 weekly.

Having a nexus makes it so easy to switch things up!

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Stock, unrooted. Running ART, Nova and SwiftKey and all's well in my Android world.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Stock is smooth and flawless here. I feel absolutely no need to root and ROM.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Up until recently I was using stock with Franco Kernel. It's such a nice combination. However, wanting to see what features Paranoid has introduced got me itching to flash the ROM. Everything seems to be running smooth right now.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Running AOSPAL (PA Remix build) with Franco kernel. This particular build is the perfect mix of a stock-like feel, but a little jazzed up (PA) but with a new goodies thrown in (the 'Remix' part). Runs awesome.

Vardan Nazaretyan

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
At the moment, I'm running the latest Paranoid Android build. It's awesome because it isn't filled with tons of features, but has of course more features than stock. And all of them are really good hidden inside of the normal settings app so that it's not a cluttered ROM while still being better than stock.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana