Nexus 5 wired or wireless charging?

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
So, never had wireless charging on a phone. I am considering it for my N5. The only clear issues I will have, is that I do like to use my phone while charging, so Yea, that's a definite negative. Will it harm the battery removing it from charging and placing it back on, multiple times? Any feedback on the wireless charging is greatly appreciated. Also, just received confirmation from Siedio that their case works with wireless charging. Thanks!

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Wireless definitely. I have several wireless chargers, they work great and they are much more convienient then using a cable. You shoud also get a QI car mount. I have mine mounted on the louvers rather than the windshield which puts it in easy reach which simplies using it for navigation. The QI charger has no trouble keeping up with the N5 even while navigating.
2014-06-17 11.43.21.jpg

MiBFTo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
@bjrosen, is your car mount something you bought or made? I'd had very little luck finding a retail qi car mount with a low profile and decent reviews.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
So, never had wireless charging on a phone. I am considering it for my N5.

Best thing since sliced bread. I will never be without it now.

The only clear issues I will have, is that I do like to use my phone while charging, so Yea, that's a definite negative.

Nope. Because you can still unplug the wireless and plug it in and use it while charging if that is what you want to do, occasionally. Best of both worlds. But for normal use, nothing beats inductive charging... it is just incredibly convenient, especially if you like to get "inbetween" charges.

Will it harm the battery removing it from charging and placing it back on, multiple times?

No

Any feedback on the wireless charging is greatly appreciated.

Works great, fast charging, convenient, easy to use, less stress on connectors, love it, gotta have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you need to use a special case?

No, but if the case is very thick, it could cause problems. It seems to work fine with most cases (including pretty much all silicone cases).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a fan. Wireless charging generates a lot of heat which is not great for the life of your battery. Also the sweet spot and charging confirmation can be a PIA. My only experience has been the OEM Nexus 5 charger. Bought 2 and returned both. See my thread -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...xus-5-wireless-charger-unboxing-pictures.html

Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging is can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

Last edited:

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
So, never had wireless charging on a phone. I am considering it for my N5. The only clear issues I will have, is that I do like to use my phone while charging, so Yea, that's a definite negative. Will it harm the battery removing it from charging and placing it back on, multiple times? Any feedback on the wireless charging is greatly appreciated. Also, just received confirmation from Siedio that their case works with wireless charging. Thanks!

I have been using wireless charging since I bought my N5, and it is awesome! It's simple and very convenient. If you keep one at your desk, you can just set your phone down and then pick it up when you leave.

It can take a little longer to charge this way, but it's convenience more than makes up for that. And if you must charge it as fast as possible or want to use it while charging, you can just unplug the USB cable from the wireless charger and use it.

As for heat generated with wireless chargers, that is more dependent on the wireless charger you have. I use the RavPower Qi Wireless Charger and my N5 doesn't seem to get any warmer than it does charging via USB. This charger is great, and is a little cheaper than the official Nexus charger. I went with it because the reviews are great.

I very much recommend wireless charging!

Best thing since sliced bread.
Indeed, it is!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a fan. Wireless charging generates a lot of heat which is not great for the life of your battery. Also the sweet spot and charging confirmation can be a PIA.

It does create some additional heat, although we don't know if that affects battery life anymore than the [lesser] heat from wired charging. But I have absolutely no problems with positioning or "sweet spot" nor confirmation. I slap it on there and 99% of the time it gives me the tone and is perfect. About 1% of the time I get no tone or the error beeping because I was exceptionally sloppy and just reposition it and move it. Not a big whoop. Might vary with different case/charger combinations.

PPP mcleod2

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the nexus qi charger and use it for quick little charges for around the house. Works well and does generate heat.

Posted via Android Central App

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I grabbed two Nokia chargers when AT&T was having their fire sale a few weeks ago. Love them especially at work. Drop and charge.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Zens and the Nokia chargers that work great. I do notice that with the Zens you have to place the phone on a certain part of the charger, which isn't much of a big issue. The Nokia seems to not be an issue with that regards. Either way, I am very satisfied with the Qi chargers and rarely use a wired means to charge.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I wouldn't charge my phone any other way... I bought two wireless chargers after I got my Nexus 7, 2013 one for work and one for home and I've only used the USB cable on the Nexus 5 maybe 1 or 2 times and that was to move pictures to a computer from the device... I bought the TYTL charger and they are (or were) pricey but I really like it and I've had zero issues with it.. seems to charge plenty fast enough and I've never had any heating issues with it either... I also have the Siedio case on my phone and it charges just as good with the case as it does without it on....

My only "ISSUE" with wireless charging is I wish the device wouldn't power on the screen when I set it down.. I usually set it down wait two seconds for the screen to power up and then turn it off.... It's such a minor issue I've never even wasted any time researching if you could turn that off or not.....

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Have never understood the big deal about wireless charging. You are still technically wired to the wall.

Yeah it's a little more convenient...but $60 or $80 more convenient? lol

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Have never understood the big deal about wireless charging. You are still technically wired to the wall.

Yeah it's a little more convenient...but $60 or $80 more convenient? lol

There are good wireless chargers out there for $20, or less. They are more than worth their price.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty