How do you disable flashlight?

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Ever since I have used Nexus 5 with Android 5 the flashlight has turned itself on while in my pants pocket burning up battery and heating up my thigh.

I never use Flashlight so how can I get rid of it or disable it from turning itself on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any idea how you're accidentally turning it on? In order for the flashlight to come on, the power button would have to be pressed to wake the screen, then you'd have to unlock the screen (unless you have no screenlock set at all), then swipe down from the top twice (or with two fingers once), and then tap the Flashlight toggle. Unless, of course, you have a flashlight shortcut on the homescreen--is that present?

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't have to unlock my screen to turn on the flashlight - it is available from the lock screen via the controls swiped down from the top. Still hard to do in your pocket, but maybe not impossible. My case makes my power button recessed so it's never happened to me, but it might not be impossible.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have to unlock my screen to turn on the flashlight - it is available from the lock screen via the controls swiped down from the top. Still hard to do in your pocket, but maybe not impossible. My case makes my power button recessed so it's never happened to me, but it might not be impossible.

Oh yes, you're right--the flashlight app is accessible on the lockscreen. This means that making the unlock more complicated wouldn't matter, since you can access the swipedown Quick Settings on the lockscreen without having to enter your unlock pattern.

As you mention, a case is a good way of making it harder to turn the phone on by accident, since it usually protects the power button.

Michelnyc

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I have lollipop on my turbo and all you have to do is shake the phone a couple of times. This has resulted in turning the flashlight on accidentally when I try to get the phone to go into my pocket. Haven't found a way to disable this feature yet. Would love to hear of one.

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I have lollipop on my turbo and all you have to do is shake the phone a couple of times....Haven't found a way to disable this feature yet. Would love to hear of one.

Not to hi-jack an N5 thread but on the Turbo, you can turn off the flashlight chop in Moto Assist > Actions

Bob DotCom

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
Drive to Moto App, select Settings icon (looks like the typical gear icon), select Actions, within the list of 4 or 5 items you'll see Flashlight, click it & choose to enable or disable.

HTH

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty