Problem: Nexus 5 battery drain fast. How can I fix this problem?

Advaitom

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Problem: Nexus 5 battery drain fast.

Hi All, I have a Nexus 5 Marshmallow w latest updates. A few months ago the battery started to drain fast. I checked which apps may be using a lot of battery but it seems that no app was causing a problem. I replaced the battery with an LG OEM battery and the new battery is now also draining fast. I always keep the wifi and bluetooth turned off when they're not needed. And I have no data plan on the phone; only voice and text messages. Also I keep the screen brightness turned down.

Any ideas on how to diagnose and/or fix fast battery drain on fully up to date Nexus 5? Thanks,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problem: Nexus 5 battery drain fast.

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

How low do you allow the battery to drain before charging it? Lithium batteries don't do well with deep discharge. (You can totally kill a lithium battery in a few months if you discharge it nearly to 0 every cycle. 40% should be the lowest you let it get.)

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
With a NEW battery in an old phone, you will need to charge it 100% and discharge it ALL THE WAY TO DEAD where it shuts down the phone, then charge it all the way back to 100% to calibrate the battery.

If you then have problems, you need to attack it from several angles. One good thing to start with is to wipe the cache partition.

nguyenkhoahai

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
With a NEW battery in an old phone, you will need to charge it 100% and discharge it ALL THE WAY TO DEAD where it shuts down the phone, then charge it all the way back to 100% to calibrate the battery.

If you then have problems, you need to attack it from several angles. One good thing to start with is to wipe the cache partition.

I tried to wipe cache partition and reset factory, but the problem still happened

nguyenkhoahai

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site

Thanks you, seem that it is bug in battery app. I dont want reset all app, data on my phone

Posted via the Android Central App

XenoKronia

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I seem to have the same problem where the WIFI is draining like 40-60% while not being on.
I'm on Android 6.0.1 and have tried a lot of fixes from disabling scanning of networks to deleting system cache.

Still no improvement. Are there any ways that allow me to diagnose the problem more concretely?

12765662_10154212132678888_1906405767_o.jpg

Thanks in advance!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I seem to have the same problem where the WIFI is draining like 40-60% while not being on. I'm on Android 6.0.1 and have tried a lot of fixes from disabling scanning of networks to deleting system cache.

Have you tried reformatting the cache partition? (From the boot/recovery menu)

Still no improvement. Are there any ways that allow me to diagnose the problem more concretely?

Not that I know of, unfortunately. It is often just a trial and error type thing. Could be a rogue app. Ultimately, if you get desperate enough, you might have to wipe to factory defaults and use it like that for a while.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to try is to go to Settings>Location, tap Menu, then Scanning, and make sure Wi-fi Scanning is turned off.

Zakaria Ouh

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site

Hi All, I have a Nexus 5 Marshmallow w latest updates. A few months ago the battery started to drain fast. I checked which apps may be using a lot of battery but it seems that no app was causing a problem. I replaced the battery with an LG OEM battery and the new battery is now also draining fast. I always keep the wifi and bluetooth turned off when they're not needed. And I have no data plan on the phone; only voice and text messages. Also I keep the screen brightness turned down.

Any ideas on how to diagnose and/or fix fast battery drain on fully up to date Nexus 5? Thanks,
Hi i just purchsed A nexus 5 yesterday,then did a factory reset.
and noticed that my battery is draining fast
i went to battery usage then found Cell standby and wifi were the problem,i did some changes like: unckeck "keep wifi during sleep" "wifi scaning" and changed location to "Device only" mode
then rebooted my phone,they disapepeared from the list but my battery is still draining even in normal usage without data or wifi enabled.
i did wiped the cache partition but nothing changed.
i will calibrate my phone's battery by doing the mentioned steps here and see.
please anybody could help :-(
if The problem remains i will Have to replace my phone or wait for android N hopefully it will cover nexus 5.

maac311

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Found out how to fix this issue.

Go to the Settings, then select Battery.
Click on the top left hand corner, where the 3 dots are, and select Battery optimization.
Tap "Not optimized", and select All Apps.
You will see all the apps are now selected for Optimizing battery use.

This next step is the most important: hit your home button now.
Leave that setting page running in the background!
If you hit return, or go back, it will reset to not optmizing!

Now you will see your batter last, guaranteed.

The only catch is having to leave your settings page running in the background, on batter optimization.
If you need to use your settings page to do anything else, that is fine, but always go back and turn the Battery optimization back on and leave it on!

This has worked great for me, battery lasts a long time. With great use too.

Good luck.

Aliffan Ismail

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site

I don't think it's bad... At first, i always keep my eye on my battery level. I thought my battery was bad on my Nexus 5X. But then I tried NOT to look on the battery level all the time, and use my phone like I want to. Surprisingly, the battery lasts longer than I thought! It lasts the whole day with quite a heavy use!

So I suggest NOT to worry about your battery life, and use your phone like how you usually use your phone. You'll figure out how long your battery REALLY last.

Don't believe too much on your battery estimation. You'll be a pessimist. Just use your phone normally!

hnussbacher

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 running 6.0.1 with no battery drain issue until yesterday when I installed the Aug patch. All went well but when I woke up and saw that my phone had stopped charging at 40% overnight, I knew I had a problem. Anyone else on 6.0.1 with the Aug patch installed?

Wayne Hetherington

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I noticed the same problem after the Aug patch too, but not before. Battery drains approx 25% quicker. Battery app shows AndroidOS as the highest battery usage at about 4x the next highest app. Not sure how to fix this. Ideas?

codeplexer

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site

Hi, my experience told me forgot about most of the "steps" you read on the replies, I think I tried most of them and I should not have fallen into that. The battery drain problem is really simple: The battery is dying.

Most of the battery drain problem especially if happen after 2 years are because the battery is slowly dying. Buy one replacement on Amazon, it's less than $20 and it's pretty easy to do it plus you can watch it on youtube, google Nexus 5 battery or search it on Amazon. I fixed my wife phone in 15 minutes. Wasted couple hours following those 'steps' I found in forum.