Nexus 6 Owners, How Reliable Has Ambient Display Been For You?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I just turned ambient display off. Helps with battery life and I was not really using it all that much so finding I don't miss it at all.

spark001uk

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Just out of interest, I just bought a wallet style case for mine, and whenever I open it up the ambient display comes on, so that works out quite handy.!

spark001uk

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Even if you flip open the case without picking up the phone??

If you're particularly gentle, or if in a very dark room, no. It seems to require a slight movement, and a measurable change in light.

Unfortunately the phone doesn't lock when you shut the case after use, but that's expecting a bit much I guess!

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
If you're particularly gentle, or if in a very dark room, no. It seems to require a slight movement, and a measurable change in light.

Unfortunately the phone doesn't lock when you shut the case after use, but that's expecting a bit much I guess!

Ok, I was gonna say...

I was thinking maybe the phone's proxy sensor or a magnet or something was detecting the case being opened. No such luck.

AC App
Nexus 6

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I put this in another Ambient Display thread with no answer:

With the lock screen (swipe) engaged and I get a text, it plays the first 2-3 seconds of my chosen ringtone and then stops.
I am using GO SMS as my texting app if it matters.

Any ideas on getting it to play the entire ringtone when the lock screen is on and a text is received?
I may be missing something obvious as I don't usually have the lock screen engaged but I like the AD info it provides.

Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I think I get what you mean, those stock ringtones are avant garde to say the least, and having them cutoff suddenly would be weirder yet.

Ya know what might work is the opening Da-da-da-daaaa opening of Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Just got the phone a few days ago and ambient display has been working 99 percent. Even when I show people lol.

Posted via the Android Central App

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
When my phone is face down, whenever I pick it up, ambient display comes on, new notification or not. Is it supposed to do that even if I don't have a new notification?

Maybe because I have BBM, which has a persistent notification?

NYRico#AC

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I am seeing about a 50% success rate for ambient display. It is funny to read how variable peoples success rate with it are. I came from a 2013 Moto X and it worked closer to 95% of the time and when it didn't work I would just flip it quickly between screen up and screen down to trigger it. I have tried this and my other tricks form the X to get Ambient Display to work but it is a no go , it seems to work when it wants to work. The funny things I have taken to always leaving my phone face down , as mentioned above, because it does seems to work more often this way. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get this to work, I am on 5.0.1 with adaptive brightness off, no root. This is the only real problem that I have been having and I guess that I got spoiled with the Moto X's execution of this feature. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alex DeDuck

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Reading this thread I actually picked up my phone three or so times - every time it's shown ambient display. I've even gotten into the habit, when it's on the carpet at home, of pushing one of the sides so it kinda rocks - and even then the screen shows the ambient display.

NYRico#AC

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I made my ambient display work pretty much 100% of the time. I don't know if I missed something in researching the issue, but, I was leaving my N6 screen down everywhere I went hoping the the twisting and light change would force the better ambient display response. I decide to lay it on its back and pick up the phone and voila, ambient display fires, I try it several more times and it doesn't miss. I had read that the change of position on the gyrometer ( I think thats whats its called ) and light sensor made the ambient display kick on. As a matter of fact I thought that I read that people were having trouble with AD in dark rooms because of the lack of light change, I figured screen down would be the greatest change in position and light. Was I doing it wrong from the start? I can't believe the difference...

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be pretty reliable for me after a month of use. I do miss a notification light though. What can I say,? old habits die hard.

guitardoc64

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
After a month I turned it off. I have the mcr MOD for dt2w so it pretty well eliminated the need for ambient display. Battery life is much better without it half waking up all the time.

Tapped from Shamu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez