Google Messenger

Erick Newman

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Is Google Messenger compatible with google voice? Can my text messages from my voice number come through there or does that only work for hangouts?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
When you have both installed, only one can be the default SMS app. That choice is made in the settings of the app you want to use.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
When you have both installed, only one can be the default SMS app. That choice is made in the settings of the app you want to use.

That's great information. Completely irrelevant to the question, but great nonetheless.

To answer the question, I think only Hangouts can do GV texts.

Posted via the Android Central App

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Is Google Messenger compatible with google voice? Can my text messages from my voice number come through there or does that only work for hangouts?
Yes, text messages from your voice number can come through Google Messenger as well as through Hangouts. You determine which one displays your text messages by setting one as the default. I'm using Google Messenger and like how it works with texting. When I was using Google Voice and set Google Messenger as default for texting, it worked just fine. (I recently canceled GV.)

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, text messages from your voice number can come through Google Messenger as well as through Hangouts. You determine which one displays your text messages by setting one as the default. I'm using Google Messenger and like how it works with texting. When I was using Google Voice and set Google Messenger as default for texting, it worked just fine. (I recently canceled GV.)

Interesting. That's cool. So when you're using Messenger, do you get both sets of SMS's together or in separate in boxes? I mean those to your carrier number and those to your GV number.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. That's cool. So when you're using Messenger, do you get both sets of SMS's together or in separate in boxes? I mean those to your carrier number and those to your GV number.
I would get a text message to both my Google Voice account and to my Google Messenger. I found this to be annoying so I cancelled GV. (I also didn't like getting voice mail from two sources.)

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I would get a text message to both my Google Voice account and to my Google Messenger. I found this to be annoying so I cancelled GV. (I also didn't like getting voice mail from two sources.)

I mean texts. If people texted your GV number, it would come into Messenger like a regular text? How would Messenger then handle your carrier number texts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member