nexus 6 turbocharger

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I just got my n6 yesterday. Are there any settings I need to change in other for the turbo charger to work? I plugged in the charger yesterday, and it didn't work. The phone charged, but the turbo didn't work.

Posted via the Android Central App

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the battery has to be almost completely discharged for turbo charging to kick in. Sorry, I don't know the exact percentage, but I'm sure someone here will chime in with it.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Nope, no settings, and no the battery doesn't have to be all the way down. You'll see more of the turbo-ness when your battery is lower though. Charging slows down as it nears 100 percent.

AC App
Nexus 6

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just got my n6 yesterday. Are there any settings I need to change in other for the turbo charger to work? I plugged in the charger yesterday, and it didn't work. The phone charged, but the turbo didn't work.

The fine print on the turbo charger from Motorola's site...

** Battery must be substantially depleted; charging rate slows as charging progresses.

BullFrog76

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
It charged at the same rate for the whole time. The battery was at 38% when I got home. Hopefully it will work today or I just didn't notice it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It charged at the same rate for the whole time. The battery was at 38% when I got home. Hopefully it will work today or I just didn't notice it.

Just curious how do you know it charged at the same rate? Have you plugged it up with a "Regular" charger?? I primarily charge via Qi Wireless charging and it usually takes about 3 hours to go from 15% to 100%... and then via the turbo charger included with the phone that same charging takes about 50 minutes to an hour..... But I've never tried to charge it with a regular USB wall charger from another phone???

I mean how long does it take you to charge the phone from 38% back to 100%???? that is usually a 20 - 30 minute max charge with my Turbo charger and about an 90 minutes with the wireless charger.....

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Turbo charging isn't a linear thing. Basically, depending on the state of the phone/battery, it will adjust accordingly to charge at either 5v, 9v, or 12v (normal chargers only charge at 5v). At its peak charging rate, it can deliver 3A of power to your phone, restoring its charge very quickly.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Picked mine up yesterday. After setting everything up, I was at 13%. Plugged it into the turbo charger and checked it in 15 minutes. It was at 62%. After about another 30 or 40 minutes I was at 100%. I'm sold. I was worried about the battery life on this thing, but if I can charge up that quickly, I'm fine.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
no settings to change, sounds like you got a bad charger or something. The only other thing I could add is I suspect the turbo charge time is more apparent if you are directly plugged into an outlet as opposed to being plugged into an extension cord or ups/surge unit (things with more than one thing already plugged in.)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Something else to consider - some third-party cables simply won't conduct much current, so if you used a cable you had lying around instead of the OEM cable that could have caused the issue you experienced.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
There needs to be a way to opt not to turbo charge because the heat concerns me. Thankfully, I have an old 1A iPhone charger that I charge my FitBit with.

Last edited:

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
There needs to be a way to opt not to turbo charge because the heat concerns me. Thankfully, I have an old 1A iPhone charger that charge my FitBit with.

Agree. And Gaming + Turbo Charge = Stupid Heat. I've only really needed to Turbo charge once in the past month and it was nice. But the battery drains faster after a 15 minute "quick charge" then after an equivalent charge from a normal charger. So its a little deceiving.

MoneyMike84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Agree. And Gaming + Turbo Charge = Stupid Heat. I've only really needed to Turbo charge once in the past month and it was nice. But the battery drains faster after a 15 minute "quick charge" then after an equivalent charge from a normal charger. So its a little deceiving.
I've not noticed my N6 discharging slower from a regular charger. I tend to not use the turbo charger while using the phone though due to it heating up.

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Almost on topic, I got a Tronsmart car charger on Amazon for $17. It's Qualcomm 2.0 certified for quick charging BUT it also has a second USB port for slow charging.

At home I use an old slow overnight charger. The quick charger is super useful however when I need it.

Jim Scheiner

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Go to eBay and buy a Tenergy turbo charger. It has a longer cord AND it has a LED that changes color depending whether it is quick charging or not.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, the charger does have a high base current.. the turbo aspect plays with the voltage to push charge quicker.

As for heat.... well, in general, you will see plenty of people recommend you tread lightly with the phone when charging. If you are doing something that gets the phone hot without it plugged in, doing said activity while charging will just introduce more heat into the system. Granted, there are countless safties that will monitor thermal conditions and made adjustments as needed... but personally, I usually just let it be and wait until its off the charger to start cranking on the thing.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
There needs to be a way to opt not to turbo charge because the heat concerns me. Thankfully, I have an old 1A iPhone charger that I charge my FitBit with.

I've not noticed my N6 discharging slower from a regular charger. I tend to not use the turbo charger while using the phone though due to it heating up.

That's why I don't use turbo charging. It's a relatively new technology, and people still don't know all there is to know about it. Some say it will decrease battery longevity. No thanks, a "regular" charger works just fine for me.

David Klamet

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
This is not new technology. Charging batteries at a higher rate when they are discharged and reducing it as they get closer to capacity is common and has been done for many years.

If done correctly (and I'm making that assumption), it should have minimal effect on battery life. Batteries only heat up when they are charged at a high rate as they get full. That is why the charge rate is reduced as they get closer to capacity.

If used occasionally, it is unlikely to have much impact on battery life.

If the battery is truly charged, the rate at which it is charged doesn't affect how much energy is stored. In other words, this is probably just an illusion.

This is possible, but unlikely unless the cable is bad, or has a bad connection,. Any decent cable should work fine.

If plugged into a 110V outlet (or 220V in Europe/UK), the charge will not be affected by where it is plugged into.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38