Question How is my phone (Moto G Stylus 2021) killing/damaging chargers?

Scrooloose

Jan 18, 2024
Visit site
About a week ago I find that for some reason my USB C cable will only charge my phone if I put it in with a specific side facing the screen (normally USB C should work either way but now it only works one way). Yesterday it got worse and needed to be twisted once or twice and if I moved it, it would stop charging. However today it is much harder to get the phone to charge than it was yesterday, I had to twist the cable a good few times and even then it was spotty. Yesterday I checked this charger on my other devices and it charged without any issues, no finagling necessary. Today it no longer works on my other devices (maybe gets the charging icon to appear for a second before going away when I do the twist). I've had this specific charging cable and brick for about 5 months.

I recognize it could have been the twisting that messed it up, I went a little crazy with the twists before my phone would charge, however I am thinking that my phone must have been the reason my previous nice charger broke. That one broke a month or two ago and I never treated it poorly, I only had it for about two years.

I tested a different USB C cable with my phone just now and it has the same problem as a few days ago. It only charges when it's in one specific way, if I reverse it, no dice. This cable works perfectly fine on my other devices.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you already made sure the port is clear of any debris? Use a toothbrush dipped in rubbing alcohol to scrub it out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you would get the phone to charge, were you twisting the cable while it was plugged into the phone, or twisting it before plugging it in? If it was while plugged in, then it's possible some internal connection is faulty or loose, and the twisting affects that connection enough to temporarily fix it. You may have to bring the phone to a repair shop to investigate further.

Scrooloose

Jan 18, 2024
Visit site
I twisted it before plugging it in. I already ordered a replacement charging port though, it's supposed to be a pretty easy fix. I just posted because I thought it was so weird how it seemed to ruin the cable I was using for it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29