Pink screen color when lowering brightness

Albert Delgado

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi, just got my nexus 6 today and I've noticed that when lowering my brightness really low the screen starts becoming pink. Is there a fix to this. Some say it is a feature but I've never really seen this on other phones and personally the pink hue is bothering me quite a bit.

Posted via Nexus 6

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine only does this with adaptive brightness on, and the screen all the way down in a dark place. I don't like adaptive brightness anyway, so I leave it off. Doesn't do the pink thing even at minimum brightness with it turned off.

Posted via the Android Central App

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I can only "guess" that amoled screens at a very low brightness may turn to this pinkish tone. I never seen a phone to be able to lower the brightness so low, not with other brands that also use amoled screens. In some review the author welcomed this feature for reading in a very dark room.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In the absence of any 'official' word from Google, we have to guess. It's either a limitation in the screen or something that was done purposefully in very low light situations... There are some brightness programs out there that fuss with the colors in this exact manner in dark and low light situations. Some call it 'night' or 'astronomer' mode... but they do pretty much the same thing.

Considering that they would have obviously tested this and saw the slightly reddish pale, either they set the screen to that color on purpose, or they actively choose not to address the color calibration (which, I guess, means that they did it on purpose). It only occurs when Adaptive Brightness is enabled... when not enabled, the reddish hue goes away, but then again, at the lowest setting, the screen is substantially brighter than with AB enabled.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I got my Nexus 6 just a few weeks after initial release and I can honestly say that I have only just recently begun to notice this pink hue associated with auto-dimming. Makes me wonder if it is a bug introduced by the last Lollipop update (5.1).

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The pink screen is a feature. Ever try to do something on your phone in the dark without blinding yourself? 😊

More info here on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/2o3irf/ars_pink_screen_is_a_feature/

From Ars Technica : http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...e-premium-price-still-comes-with-compromises/
Ars Technica said:
One of the more interesting*features of the 6-inch, 2560×1440 AMOLED screen is that, on the lowest brightness, it turns pink. We're going to call this a feature, and not a bug, since the screen can do normal-color low brightness at about the same level*as the Note 4 (2*cd/m2). While Samsung just stopped at that point with its*AMOLED screen, Motorola takes things a step further and goes for the absolute lowest brightness without regard for color accuracy. This pink mode allows the Nexus 6 to hit (0.9*cd/m2)—one of the darkest displays we've ever seen. The pinkness doesn't really bother us when we're just trying to get stuff done in the dark. Our primary concern is not being blinded.

Because of the way brightness works in Lollipop, you're only able to get this pink mode in a dark environment. "Adaptive Brightness" is meant to be on all the time. It works like automatic brightness, but there is still a slider you can adjust.

When you're not in the dark, the colors on the screen are fine. It's still an AMOLED display, though, so you're still dealing with oversaturated colors.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The pink screen is a feature. Ever try to do something on your phone in the dark without blinding yourself? ??????

More info here on Reddit: Ars: Pink screen is a Feature. : nexus6

Well, perhaps, but I am not talking about a totally dark room (as one of the reddit commenters mentioned) and I believe this is something very new to my device as I cannot believe that I have only just begun to notice it after having the phone for six months.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, perhaps, but I am not talking about a totally dark room (as one of the reddit commenters mentioned) and I believe this is something very new to my device as I cannot believe that I have only just begun to notice it after having the phone for six months.

I guess it's possible. Mine has done it from the beginning when I got it in December. I have Adaptive Brightness on. And right now I'm sitting in an office and when I turn the brightness to minimum it doesn't go pink. But when I was sitting on the couch at home yesterday in a room with decent lighting it went pink when I turned the brightness to the minimum. So it depends on the light that the sensor is detecting. From what I understand if you don't have Adaptive Brightness turned on then it won't go pink at all.

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Like everyone else I only see the pinkish hue when adaptive brightness is on. I normally keep it off. I only turn it on when I need to get to super dim mode which is very rare as it's almost too dim.