Nexus 6 calls crackle. How can I fix this?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 6 calls crackle.

I searched but I could not find out much about this. I have T-Mobile and I notice since Monday when I receive phone calls than when I make one is that everytime the party talks I hear a crackle. The party can hear me fine. Also I notice after a few minutes sometimes the crackle will go away. I know it is not the phone because I tried WiFi calling and Hangouts Dialer and the calls are clear no crackle. I am using VoLTE and I really don't want to go back to that horrible HSPA 3G for phone calls which I end up getting disconnected when dialing the number and sometime missed calls. I don't have these issues with VoLTE.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 calls crackle.

I know it's definitely not a solution and you shouldn't have to do this but maybe try using a EQ app or something and play around with it to maybe further diagnose your issue

Posted From my Nexus 6/Nexus 7 2013/Surface pro 3

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I searched but I could not find out much about this. I have T-Mobile and I notice since Monday when I receive phone calls than when I make one is that everytime the party talks I hear a crackle. The party can hear me fine. Also I notice after a few minutes sometimes the crackle will go away. I know it is not the phone because I tried WiFi calling and Hangouts Dialer and the calls are clear no crackle. I am using VoLTE and I really don't want to go back to that horrible HSPA 3G for phone calls which I end up getting disconnected when dialing the number and sometime missed calls. I don't have these issues with VoLTE.

I have the same problem. Supposedly turning off Advanced LTE fixes the crackling, but that shouldn't be a fix, that feature should make things better. This had been an issue for about a week before the stagefright update.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Thanks NastyNeil. I will deal with the cracking on some calls. I refuse to turn of VoLTE and go back to horrible HSPA.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I finally had enough. I turned off VoLTE and now my calls are clear again. After doing research I found out that VoLTE calling is really just VOIP which is why the call quality sucks. I can make a call that is clear one minute then after make or receive another call that the quality is so bad I can barely understand the person but the person can understand me. I also played around with WiFI calling which is clear but after my grandmother called me and it did not ring I turned that off too.

I notice with WiFi off to test it that as soon as I hang up on HSPA it goes right back to LTE way quicker than my Nexus 5 did. What I don't understand though is that my LTE speeds are fast around 20 mpbs down and 5 mbps up and I can stream music fine? Anyone until T-Mobile improves VoLTE I will stick with HSPA for phone calls. I just hope it does not get stuck on HSPA when I am trying to stream music.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I finally had enough. I turned off VoLTE and now my calls are clear again. After doing research I found out that VoLTE calling is really just VOIP which is why the call quality sucks. I can make a call that is clear one minute then after make or receive another call that the quality is so bad I can barely understand the person but the person can understand me. I also played around with WiFI calling which is clear but after my grandmother called me and it did not ring I turned that off too.

I notice with WiFi off to test it that as soon as I hang up on HSPA it goes right back to LTE way quicker than my Nexus 5 did. What I don't understand though is that my LTE speeds are fast around 20 mpbs down and 5 mbps up and I can stream music fine? Anyone until T-Mobile improves VoLTE I will stick with HSPA for phone calls. I just hope it does not get stuck on HSPA when I am trying to stream music.

Someone in another thread mentioned they called tmobile and something got stuck and needed to be provisioned on their end. Might want to try that too.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

That's what the tech said. They are provisioning the LTE towers. I might still leave voLTE off as my battery life is better. I only got about 5% drain in around 12 hours standby with a couple of brief calls.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Having same exact problem, but it was only until about 2 weeks before the stagefright patch came out. The tech support said I am between two LTE towers and my area isn't marked as excellent LTE area, so the phone tries to connect and gets poor quality. When I turn it off my calls are crystal clear. It just seems odd that it only became a problem recently. Maybe they are in fact doing tower work because I do notice that my LTE signal is not as strong as it had been either. I don't feel like I'm missing anything by having it off, but I'd like the feature to work. I hope they update the towers in my area soon so this won't be an issue.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes same here. It started about 2 weeks ago before the stagefright patch. I do get okay LTE service as I am able to stream music for the most part fine but phone calls are still horrible. I just turned it on again to test it as what tech support said to do after a week and the quality was horrible so I just turned it off again.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I turned on voLTE again. I can't stand this HSPA crap. I was connected to LTE fine until I tried to send my mother a text message and the phone dropped down to HSPA and then the stupid phone stayed on HSPA with of course unreliable internet. Listing to Slacker Radio after the song finished it poped up network error. Loading Chrome as you see below no connection. Then one minute it works then it goes dead and nothing connects even though it shows a stronger HSPA signal. No amount of airplaine mode toggle can get it back to LTE even though it was only 1 to 2 bars compared to 3 to 4 HSPA. I actually had to go all the way back upstars to get it back to LTE then I set it back to voLTE and made a call downstairs to check it and it stayed on LTE then I streamed something no problems.

When LTE is strong it will connect from that horrible HSPA to LTE right way but when LTE is weaker still more reliable the phone plays dumb and stays on HSPA. I can deal with crackling calls on voLTE as they usually clear up after a few minutes anyway. It is not like I am recording the phone calls to burn on a CD. :D
Screenshot_2015-08-22-14-57-43.jpg

mmednick1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I just had this happen to me today. Call your carrier and have them refresh your signal. It should fix the problem

badger2727

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Please call T-Mobile. The need to reset it on their end. I had the same issue, called and 15 minutes later I had crystal clear calls.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Please call T-Mobile. The need to reset it on their end. I had the same issue, called and 15 minutes later I had crystal clear calls.

I've called T Mobile and they say everything looks ok on their end. Which department did you speak with and did you have to request for them to reset it? Thanks.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I did the signal reset but it still did not work. The tech said that they are working in the area. I also noticed that my calls are much clearer in the middle of the night until I turned off WiFi and I saw the calls drop down to HSPA so I know they are working. No amount of resting is going to do anything.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I did the signal reset but it still did not work. The tech said that they are working in the area. I also noticed that my calls are much clearer in the middle of the night until I turned off WiFi and I saw the calls drop down to HSPA so I know they are working. No amount of resting is going to do anything.

You wouldn't happen to be in central jersey, would you? Lol

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Brooklyn NY 11217 near downtown area.

I'm in central jersey, but what's interesting is that I was in Ocean City, NJ for the last 3 days. I did not get very good service at all there last year. The last 3 days with advanced LTE on, my service has never been better. So maybe they are actually doing work by me.

Kydex30

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same issue for the past week or so. Today I called T-Mobile and they refreshed the signal and told me to turn the phone off, wait 30 seconds, and turn it back on. Calls instantly became almost perfectly clear. There's still an occasional crackle, but nothing I can't live with; before it was so bad I couldn't understand the other caller.