Doze and battery life

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
So I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on a Nexus 6. The low price and big screen appeal to me a lot. The one thing that gives me pause is the battery life. I see widely varying reports of battery performance. So for anyone who has Marshmallow on their device now, does doze make a difference? I really just need the phone to last me from about 7 or 8 in the morning till about 10 at night. Anything else is a bonus. 3 1/2 - 4 hours of screen time is good enough for my needs (I currently have a gs6 so I have low expectations.) So how's the experience so far?

Posted via the Android Central App

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I flashed Marshmallow last night, and with this being the first day with it and playing with the new features and still setting up the phone I was about to get about 4.5 hrs of screen on time, and the battery was at 15% when I put it on the charger. That was off the charger at 6 and I just dropped it back on the charger at 2:30ish. To compare when I was on Lollipop I could go from 6 to 10 with the same amount of screen on time, just spread out over more time since I wasn't playing with the phone as much.

So far I'm happy with it.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Doze only kicks in when you set the device down and are not using it. If you have it in your pocket for example, it wont activate because the phone needs to detect there is lack of motion.

But as a test I charged up my Nexus 6 running marshmallow to 100% before I went to bed, I then unplugged it and set it on my night stand, this was this morning:

Screenshot_20151006-070439.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/checking-out-doze-android-m-developer-preview
Doze, a new set of behaviors for making sure apps aren't sucking your battery life away when you aren't using your phone. More specifically, when you've left your phone on your desk or your tablet on the coffee table, Doze will detect the lack of motion and enter a new kind of deep sleep mode.

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
That looks pretty good. My gs6 would lose 10-20 percent overnight. Of course we're in the early days, so it'll take a bit of time to know how things will end up of course. But any info helps.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have only had M for less than 24 hours, so I can't comment on that. I am however a definite power user, and can talk about battery life.

When I had the Note 4, I had a separate battery charged so I could pop it in and be at 100%. This feature is great, but obviously not possible on a Nexus.

I am up at 5 am, and my phone (Note or Nexus) is about dead at 5pm. For the Note I would slap a new battery in before leaving work and be good until bedtime. With the Nexus I have purchased a 2nd Turbo Charger and I keep one at my office. So around 4pm I plug it in at my desk and I am back to 100% before leaving at 5, and this will also last me the rest of the day.

The Droid Turbo was the only all day phone I have ever had, and I even killed it some days.

My point is, the Nexus is awesome, pay the extra $30 and get a 2nd Turbo Charger for the office or car. I think the battery is as good as the Note if not better.

Or if you are on VZW, hold out for the new Droid, however it will be much more expensive.

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have only had M for less than 24 hours, so I can't comment on that. I am however a definite power user, and can talk about battery life.

When I had the Note 4, I had a separate battery charged so I could pop it in and be at 100%. This feature is great, but obviously not possible on a Nexus.

I am up at 5 am, and my phone (Note or Nexus) is about dead at 5pm. For the Note I would slap a new battery in before leaving work and be good until bedtime. With the Nexus I have purchased a 2nd Turbo Charger and I keep one at my office. So around 4pm I plug it in at my desk and I am back to 100% before leaving at 5, and this will also last me the rest of the day.

The Droid Turbo was the only all day phone I have ever had, and I even killed it some days.

My point is, the Nexus is awesome, pay the extra $30 and get a 2nd Turbo Charger for the office or car. I think the battery is as good as the Note if not better.

Or if you are on VZW, hold out for the new Droid, however it will be much more expensive.

12 hours seems pretty doable. I do have a quick charge 2.0 car charger that has served me well over the last 6 months so that should help. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna order the Nexus this week. My gf needs a new phone and I'm frankly a bit tired od the s6, so she'll be inheriting it. And let's face it, coming from the s6 the battery should be an improvement.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have not had the S6, but I have had the S3, S5, Note 2, Note 3, and Note 4.

The lack of lag will astound you. Get the unlocked on Amazon. I went with the 64GB and it is definitely worth $400. I sold my Note 4 on eBay and it balanced out.

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
This will be my first Nexus. Always had Samsung, HTC, and LG all of which are heavily skinned. So I'm really looking forward to the stock experience.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This will be my first Nexus. Always had Samsung, HTC, and LG all of which are heavily skinned. So I'm really looking forward to the stock experience.

Most of my Samsung experience was great, but the end of the Note 3 and the entirety of the Note 4 were terrible to me. Previously I heard all these lag complaints and I thought people were exaggerating.

After I finally got the worst of it with the Note 4 then when to perfection with the Nexus, it is night and day.

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I can say that honestly even in heavy use, I have very little battery concerns. I get an average of a full day and sometimes can plug in at the end of the day with 40-50% left in my battery. Those are slower days but honestly I have had a Sony xperia and many Samsung's and my battery doesn't really bother me. Now with that said it can be better at times like now I am typing and my battery is at 17% at 9 pm and I unplugged my phone at 8am this morning. This was a heavier day for me. Emails, text and many calls. But honestly I know I can plug this in for 10-15 min and have several more hours if needs be.

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Most of my Samsung experience was great, but the end of the Note 3 and the entirety of the Note 4 were terrible to me. Previously I heard all these lag complaints and I thought people were exaggerating.

After I finally got the worst of it with the Note 4 then when to perfection with the Nexus, it is night and day.

Yeah Samsung has been a roller coaster. I had a gs2, gs3, and note 2 before taking a break. Came back for the s6, but the battery is just abysmal. I would say my other best Android experience was the Sony Z1s. Overall a great phone. But I think the N6 is gonna be a top dog, even at a year old.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I flashed M shortly after the images were posted and charged that night taking it off the charger just before 5am. A day and a half later I'm at 50% with moderate use. Sadly my stats aren't giving me SOT or anything.

Screenshot_20151007-140256.jpg

So yeah I'm stoked. It will take weeks for things to settle to really see what it can do but this is way better than 5.1 for me. I do leave it resting on desk or by bedside most of the time when not in use. SOT is easily over two hours by this time. I've increased usage since flashing too.

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty reassuring. I definitely want to see the standby results, that's what I was most worried about. I don't expect much more than 3-4 hours of screen on time with most phones nowadays. If it goes over 4 hours sot, that's icing on the cake in my book.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am still charging my phone before the day is over, but it does appear to be doing better than previously

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I am still charging my phone before the day is over, but it does appear to be doing better than previously

Quick charge is a blessing for sure! I finally ordered my Nexus 6 tonight, so I'll be able to report in soon too.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Doze only kicks in when you set the device down and are not using it. If you have it in your pocket for example, it wont activate because the phone needs to detect there is lack of motion.

But as a test I charged up my Nexus 6 running marshmallow to 100% before I went to bed, I then unplugged it and set it on my night stand, this was this morning:

View attachment 200180

http://www.androidcentral.com/checking-out-doze-android-m-developer-preview

That's interesting that it does seem to make a difference when it's entirely still.
Mine is only ever out of my pocket when it's being used or charging, but my stand by time is massively, massively improved since flashing.
It's not 5 days good but 2-3 times better than the sub 18 hours I was getting before. There must be something else going on other than just Doze because looking at your stats I don't think mine is ever still enough to get into it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Must agree with those marshmallow. Battery life is improved noticeably better for my usage and doze has worked wonders for the stand by time!

Posted via my Nexus 6 with Marshmallow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez