Issues with N7 case from Play Store causing screen freeze

Lomax

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd seriously advise not getting the case. Cant prove it b/c I'm still testing, but for some reason, when my screen is on and i close the case, sometimes the screen becomes unresponsive when i open the case up. It will freeze and the only software key that works is the multitask key. It shows open apps but i cant swipe any away. I can hit the multitask again to go back to the frozen page, but of course the page is still frozen. I have tried to close the case and reopen repeatedly after it froze just to see what happens and it stays frozen. When i hit the power to put it to sleep then to unsleep, then it works fine. Its kinda random but I can reproduce it. This happens about 1 out every ~5 times i close the cover with the screen still on. Solution, sleep the device before closing the cover and look for another case - or just use it naked (dont want my N7 running around with no drawers on). I started removing apps to narrow down the problem but I really think it has something to do with the case. I've even seen it cause almost like input jitters on the screen. I think the case "is" somehow sending inputs to the screen some kind of way. Weird. Once I stopped closing the case with the screen on, it stopped freezing. Long story short, I'm looking for another case. I know there has to be alteast one person who can reproduce this. BTw, I'm not using any screen protectors.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
i have a magnetic catch on my ipod touch case. placing it near the lower left rear of the n7 causes the screen to sleep. i tried over and over to replicate your complaint--I can't.

Lomax

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
i have a magnetic catch on my ipod touch case. placing it near the lower left rear of the n7 causes the screen to sleep. i tried over and over to replicate your complaint--I can't.

Are you using the N7 cover by ASUS? My case does not appear to have a magnetic catch (my wife has it right now - go figure), i thought it would when i purchased it.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the case from the Play Store.. Aside from being kinda ugly and hard to press the power/volume buttons I have no issues with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Lomax

joey52685

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm a very similar issue.

Just recieved the case this week, had the Nexus 7 for about 2 weeks before that and never had a problem.

Now with the case on the touchscreen is unresponsive at the lock screen. If I take the case off I can unlock the tablet. Once it's unlocked I can put the case back on without any further issues. Very strange, I'm going to contact google for a fix or refund.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Chalk me up to another one with case issues. Had the tablet for about two weeks with not a single issue. The first day I have the case on, the screen became unresponsive on the lock screen. And even had some weird freak out session where the lock screen slider went nuts, swirled around a bunch, then unlocked it to Google Now, which also went nuts. Good to know I was right in my assumption, but sucks that I just burned $30 on this from Google and it doesn't work right.

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, those of us that got the case in the first week of shipping (or should I say 2 weeks) have already reported on this issue. If you like the case (other than the screen input problem) there is a way to fix it. You'll need a piece of microfiber cloth big enough to cover the entire area of the inside front cover. Glue the microfiber to the inside of the front cover. The microfiber will prevent the screen interaction and help keep your screen clean.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, those of us that got the case in the first week of shipping (or should I say 2 weeks) have already reported on this issue. If you like the case (other than the screen input problem) there is a way to fix it. You'll need a piece of microfiber cloth big enough to cover the entire area of the inside front cover. Glue the microfiber to the inside of the front cover. The microfiber will prevent the screen interaction and help keep your screen clean.

It's pretty bad when you have to 'hack' an OEM accessory to make it function properly.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I have the case from the Play Store and I don't have this issue. This post got me thinking, though. I routinely (perhaps too often due to my OCD) wipe my screen down with disposable lens cleaning wipes. Maybe the case is causing static to build up on the screen and it screws up touch response. And maybe I don't see this issue because I'm cleaning the screen frequently enough to get rid of that static. Can't be sure. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Note too that Asus has said it used some new "gapless" screen technology to eliminate the air gap between the glass and display to make the N7 thin. It may be more prone to static interference as a result.