Extracting APK from Nexus 7

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Folks,

I have a Nexus 7 and a BlackBerry PlayBook. I have an app that I purchased on the Nexus 7, that I would like to find and or extract the apk for and then convert to a .bar file and try to run on my PlayBook. A simple search of the Nexus 7 while connected to my PC did not show that particular apk (although others were visible). Is there a special tool that I need to access the apk, or I'm I going to have to break down and root this bad boy to find it? Or both?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Folks,

I have a Nexus 7 and a BlackBerry PlayBook. I have an app that I purchased on the Nexus 7, that I would like to find and or extract the apk for and then convert to a .bar file and try to run on my PlayBook. A simple search of the Nexus 7 while connected to my PC did not show that particular apk (although others were visible). Is there a special tool that I need to access the apk, or I'm I going to have to break down and root this bad boy to find it? Or both?

Hey pk, long time no see!

This might work without having to root: download "My Backup" (free app). Use it to backup the app of interest. Now plug your tablet into your computer and there should be a zipped backup on your sdcard that contains the app, in a folder called "rerware" IIRC.

Alternate method: if you can get a file explorer to simply allow you to copy the app from "/data/app" to your sdcard you'll be good to go. But file explorers that can navigate to that directory usually want root access. You can try "Root Browser" or "ES File Explorer" (both free).

If that doesn't work, here is the root method: root your phone using one of the sticky thread in this forum. Once you do, use a file explorer like Root Browser to navigate to "/data/app". You'll find the app there.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Hey pk! If you do root you will find downloaded apps in data/app and system apps in system/app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! That's what I needed to know! Gonna try the non root method first. :)

shafferb

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
A method that's worked great for me is to use Astro File Manager (free or Pro version), and use it's App Backup function to find the desired app and back it up. It'll create an APK and pop it into the backups directory.

Attach the N7 to your PC or Mac and grab the apk, then email it to yourself on the other device and install it. Worked well for me, and no rooting.

Only works on downloaded or purchased apps, not system apps.

Reactions: pkcable

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699