Tethering - What are the advantages of WiFi vs Bluetooth?

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx (on Verizon) and I've been able to tether the Nexus 7 using both WiFi and Bluetooth.

Is one method better than the other? I've read that Bluetooth is less likely to be discovered by the carriers but I don't know if that's true. I also get the impression that Bluetooth requires less battery use from the phone.

The downside to Bluetooth is it appears that the Nexus 7 cannot access some services if it's tethered with Bluetooth - I've had issues with Google Play and YouTube.

Which method do you suggest - WiFi or Bluetooth?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Is one method better than the other? I've read that Bluetooth is less likely to be discovered by the carriers but I don't know if that's true. I also get the impression that Bluetooth requires less battery use from the phone.

The downside to Bluetooth is it appears that the Nexus 7 cannot access some services if it's tethered with Bluetooth - I've had issues with Google Play and YouTube.

I heard the same thing regarding bluetooth verses wifi. I did find out that there are some apps that don't work real well with bluetooth tether on the N7. For example I cannot buy or install anything from google play. I get a waiting for network type message instead. Internet seems to work just fine. Since I don't use Google Play every day this so far is ok for me. I did not try YouTube.

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2 :)

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The biggest downsides I see to BT tethering are stability and range. I'd just go for WiFi. Once you've got your WAP set up on the N7, it'll connect automatically when it's available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

flipcap22

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been tethering with Wifi Tether (rooted EVO 3D) for a couple commutes now. Works really well with the Nexus 7. It seems like it works better than my Touchpad w/ CM9 nightly. When my phone connects to 4G, it flies!

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you using foxfi?

I use FoxFi for my WiFi connection but FoxFi for Bluetooth hasn't been working since I upgraded my Razr Maxx to ICS. I've been using an option in the Settings Menu that allows sharing an Internet connection via Bluetooth - it works but has the limitations I mentioned above.

Any comments about carrier detection or battery life - those were the two main reasons I always used Bluetooth in the past.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to "bump" this thread to see if I could get some input regarding battery life using WiFi versus Bluetooth and whether it was "safer" to use Bluetooth because it's less likely to be detected by Verizon.

I've been using WiFi via FoxFi for the past week or so and it's been working great with my Razr Maxx - I've been able to surf the Internet and read my email on my Nexus 7 while my Razr Maxx is resting in my front pocket with FoxFi activated. The only reminder that I have that I'm tethered is the slight warmth that the Razr Maxx provides while it's sharing its LTE signal.

I've noticed that FoxFi offers an additional app that makes it harder for the carriers to track your tethering activities. Is this app supposed to provide a solution for all carriers or is the issue of detection limited to isolated carriers?

Thanks in advance for any input and I hope that everyone is still enjoying their Nexus 7. :)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I hope no one offers you advice on the better way to commit fraud against your carrier because that could cause the thread to get locked and infractions issued.

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not actually 'fraud' to violate the terms and conditions of your cell phone contract, nor is it illegal (in the criminal sense of the word). It is a civil offense, "breach of contract", if they catch you, you are in violation of your contract and they have the right to terminate the contract or come to some kind of agreement with you to continue the contract. (like getting you to pay an extra $20/month for tethering). There is no punitive recourse for this type of violation. In the business world, contracts are breached all the time if the penalties (defined in the contract) are cheaper than the cost of complying with the contract.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I hope no one offers you advice on the better way to commit fraud against your carrier because that could cause the thread to get locked and infractions issued.

Thanks for the sermon but I'm not too worried that my actions will bankrupt Verizon. In fact, the last time I checked their stock was near a 52 week high and they recorded very strong profits.

The reality is when I have my Nexus 7 tethered to my Razr Maxx the data that I use on the Nexus 7 is exactly the same as what I'd consume if I used my Razr Maxx. Why should Verizon care if I check a home's value using Zillow on my Nexus 7 instead of my Razr - the amount of data consumed should be nearly identical.

In fact, there's a thread on this forum where members have discussed how they tend to use their phone less as they use their Nexus 7 more.

In my opinion the days when the carriers decide to charge for tethering are limited. It's just like the old days when the phone company wanted to charge an extra monthly charge if you wanted to add a phone line to another room in your house.

pdhahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually a little thankful for the sermon. I honestly had no idea that you could get into any kind of trouble with your carrier for this kind of thing. I just thought it was a neat trick. Guess I better knock it off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bcisys

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My O.G. Droid Incredible, like many non-rooted HTC Android phones, will not allow WiFi tethering, so I have to use Bluetooth. I just got back from a 6-day car trip, and the BT tethering worked fine with my Nexus 7 the whole way (except for out-of-the-way places with no cell coverage..) I can't tell if the speed was limited to by my 3G-only phone, or by the BT, but it was noticeably slower than a regular WiFi connection.

T-BoneX

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this was addressed elsewhere... but I use the Chrome browser and the web version of Google Play (not the app) when I Bluetooth tether. The page even sends the app to my N7 after hitting the Install button.

Google Navigator works too... have to long press the map and then navigate to that location.

Some apps need the WiFi connection, but with BT tether, try to use the web version of an app.

-T

Last edited:

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm with XDCX -

Thanks for the sermon but I'm not too worried that my actions will bankrupt Verizon. In fact, the last time I checked their stock was near a 52 week high and they recorded very strong profits. ...
Whenever a company is profitable, it's ok to take services/goods from them that you feel they shouldn't charge you for.

T-BoneX

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Is their service, and they can charge whatever they want because it in the contract. What the problem is we are paying for a certain number of bytes per month... And just because you want to tether to a secondary device, it puts no undo burden on the carrier. So it looks like the carrier is just out to make extra money when they are not doing anything to earn extra money. Other than having a stipulation in a contract.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just thought id bump this thread to let everyone know verizon has been forced by the courts to let users tether with 3rd party apps for free, meaning tethering is no longer illegal. I am glad there is still some semblance of justice out there albeit few and far between. Happy new year.

news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57485518-94/what-verizons-fcc-tethering-settlement-means-to-you-faq/
They had to pay a fine, too for ILLEGALLY pressuring google to remove the apps.

People are so ignorant of the law that they think just because VZW puts something in a contract that you are bound by it. Contract law doesn't work that way. If VZW puts something in a contract that violates the terms of their licenses to use certain frequencies of the spectrum, it is unenforceable, and indeed, VZW can get in trouble with the FCC for trying to enforce it.

RCchan77

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I haven't found a thread outlining what works and doesn't work with Bluetooth tethering on my N7. From my experience, I've found some of the Google apps (G+, YouTube, Reader, GMail, Drive, Play Music, and obviously Chrome) work on Bluetooth tether, but other developers apps don't work. Actually there were two exceptions that I've found: HuluPlus and Instagram. Sadly, after an update a few months ago, HuluPlus stopped working.

At first I thought it was certain network ports that were blocked, but I now think the issue is how that app is written. It seems as if some apps were written to check for any connectivity (the ones that work) versus the ones that make sure connectivity comes through WiFi or the carrier data connection.

The reason I use Bluetooth tether is because WiFi doesn't happen to work for me. If I had a choice I'd probably choose WiFi tether.

Any thoughts?

My setup: Droid Bionic tethered to an Nexus7.

(Mods, should this be a whole new thread? It is BT vs WiFi related....)

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I find it utterly despicable that they remove a piece of delivered software and then want you to pay extra to re-enable it. It has got to be the most shady thing the carriers have ever done, imo.

But to the question of the OP: Bluetooth is going to be better on the battery. It will not be as stable of a connection and it may be slower depending on the bluetooth version.

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth.
Less discoverable because it goes through a VPN tunnel
Better on battery

WiFi
More convenient generally
Allows connected device to have full network access (downloading and some apps are not restricted like with Bluetooth)
Generally faster

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums