how can I delete a file without a file manager

dodonexus

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
(fyi I have a Nexus 7 NOT rooted)

I find it staggering that there is no file manager on this device. I need to delete a file but cannot access it to delete it.

I had transferred an mp4 from my Dropbox cloud to the "movies" folder on the internal SD on the Nexus 7. When I open the "movies" app on the homescreen the mp4 doesnt display (thanks to the Nexus 7's astonishingly limited compatibility with movie files)... so I just want to delete the mp4 but there is no way I can get to it.

It has definitely copied accross to movies because if I attempt to copy the same file across it asks me if I want to replace the existing file.

I've downloaded Astro file manager. Astro sees it in the movies folder but there is no option to delete! In fact Astro doesnt allow me to do anything at all, apart from view the files on the device. hardly a file manager.

How can I remove this file? I'm so disapointed with this device it feels completely half-finished!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the file directory layout of the Nexus 7 but you should be able to use a fairly easy ADB command to remove the file from the internal storage. I don't see any reason that it would of been placed in any root level access location to stop you from removing it.

Aside from Astro you can also try ES File Explorer from the Play Store. It works as a regular file manager but is more known for rooted devices too.

zenibear

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I got dice player to play mp4s, works perfectly. Also got File manager HD to view and organize files.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ThePiratesofECU

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I just connect my droid to my PC and delete any file or program I want to. I had downloaded all types of file managers to no avail. This works well and charges the phone while it is connected.

Robert

Brimhome

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
To delete app that was installed on your phone from app store or apps you got from a friend follow the below istructions

1. Firstly you will have to navigate to application setting from your home menu

2.Click on the application option

3. Five options will be displayed on the screen

4. select manage application out of the five option

5. You will be see four list showing you your running application, apps on sd card, downloaded apps and all applications.

6.Select the SD Card option

7.Click on the app you which to delete and click on install button brimhom.blogspot.com

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To delete app that was installed on your phone from app store or apps you got from a friend follow the below istructions

1. Firstly you will have to navigate to application setting from your home menu

2.Click on the application option

3. Five options will be displayed on the screen

4. select manage application out of the five option

5. You will be see four list showing you your running application, apps on sd card, downloaded apps and all applications.

6.Select the SD Card option

7.Click on the app you which to delete and click on install button brimhom.blogspot.com

The OP of this 2 year old thread was asking how to delete a file​, not an app. Thanks, though.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The OP of this 2 year old thread was asking how to delete a file​, not an app. Thanks, though.

Yes. As a new nexus 5 owner its amazing how hard it is to delete music. I still haven't found a good app to recognize albums.

Posted via the Android Central App

Caroline Grace

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Deleting .mp4 files from device

Nexus 4 simply will not allow me to delete .mp4 files and since this devide does not have a built in file manager, I am unable to find the mp4's without hooking up to my laptop to find them in explorer. When selecting the files to delete I get error message "The device is unreachable". However, all other media and audio files are able to be transfered. Please help! I have zero storage space on my phone now which is onbioulsy affecting the performance of the usual capabilities I need the phone for - texts, emails, etc. now not syncing either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc