16G vs 8G

b_leonard

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So basically I want to know why people would choose the 16G over the 8G. Not saying that its wrong or dumb or anything like that. Just saying I have my phone to download and hold the bigger files.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
To me, the 8GB is useless. I have around 5GBs of music (no I will not store it on an OTG cable and USB stick or memory card). And a ton of games that take up anywhere from 10MBs all the way up to 700 MBs(!).

I also bought an 8GB for my Mom, who will not be installing 700MB games or 5GB of music. So I'm glad both models exist. I personally would have bought a 32 GB model if it were offered though for $275 or whatever.

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I for one am an iPhone user, and i probably wont be changing anytime soon. Even though my plan was to purchase an iPad, i really liked the Nexus 7 and its price and I`ve always had different devices with different OSs(Example I used to have an Evo 4g with an ipad1, and before that the palm pre with the ipad1). I dont want to be stuck to just one OS so the Nexus 7 provides me the latest and greatest from Google, and not all apps play well with each other so having a 16GB lets me get the apps I need that will work with both devices and new apps that benefit for the screen real estate the Nexus 7 provides. I didnt want to feel limited by space so i chose the 16gb, i guess that helps me feel less limited.

Reactions: Androhead27

b_leonard

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
To me, the 8GB is useless. I have around 5GBs of music (no I will not store it on an OTG cable and USB stick or memory card). And a ton of games that take up anywhere from 10MBs all the way up to 700 MBs(!).

I also bought an 8GB for my Mom, who will not be installing 700MB games or 5GB of music. So I'm glad both models exist. I personally would have bought a 32 GB model if it were offered though for $275 or whatever.

That's what i use my
phne for. Plus I have everything saved on the Google music.

It's only ~ $50.00 more. If $50.00 is going to break the bank, you probably shouldn't buy a $200.00 tablet in the first place.

Def not going to break the bank. I mean I would have gotten the 16 but where I live Walmart didn't have any 16 nor 8, and staples only had the 8 available. Was way too anxious to wait.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If you won't be using it for a lot of media / gaming, the 8gb is probably fine for you.
If you will be using it a lot for media / gaming, but plan on rooting and picking up USB OTG to use external cards, the 8gb is fine for you.
If you will be using it a lot for media / gaming and do not plan on rooting, get the 16gb.

Also, if you're a benchmark geek, there's these performance differences.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It's only ~ $50.00 more. If $50.00 is going to break the bank, you probably shouldn't buy a $200.00 tablet in the first place.

Except you don't speak for everyone's situation. Mine was a gift, and I'm not going to tell him, "well if you can't buy me the 16 because of a measly 50 dollars, then don't bother. " And for me, since I never store videos or many large games, 8 is more than plenty. I have 125 apps, including a few games, one of which is 800 mb, and still have nearly two gig left.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Androhead27

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
So basically I want to know why people would choose the 16G over the 8G. Not saying that its wrong or dumb or anything like that. Just saying I have my phone to download and hold the bigger files.

For peace of mind and for only $50 more? Priceless.

shutupnerd

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
If you end up filling 8 gigs, you are screwed. No space left. Not expandable. The 16 gig model gives you a little more to play with. Most of my space goes to apps (lots of games) and then I'd only have space for about 2 movies after that. The 16 gig just gives you a warm fuzzy, but sure some people wouldn't need it.

Androhead27

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Except you don't speak for everyone's situation. Mine was a gift, and I'm not going to tell him, "well if you can't buy me the 16 because of a measly 50 dollars, then don't bother. " And for me, since I never store videos or many large games, 8 is more than plenty. I have 125 apps, including a few games, one of which is 800 mb, and still have nearly two gig left.

Mine was also a gift from my wife for my bday. Luckily though she knows I am picky about my electronics and if there is ever multiple models, or different options to choose, she just let's me pick it out. Lol.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't want this to be me a month from now...

no16gb.jpg

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If you end up filling 8 gigs, you are screwed. No space left. Not expandable. The 16 gig model gives you a little more to play with. Most of my space goes to apps (lots of games) and then I'd only have space for about 2 movies after that. The 16 gig just gives you a warm fuzzy, but sure some people wouldn't need it.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I definitely would need the larger version. With 13.24GB starting out, just with what I have on it from the beginning, there's 10.3GB left.

That's a few apps, and mostly games lol.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I went with the 8 gig because I figured my galaxy nexus has 32 gig and that's what I use more often than not. My 7 will be more for Web browsing and forum discussions. In my situation the 16 didn't make sense. If I want to play games ill use my 360 and if I want to listen to music ill use my galaxy nexus.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought that too, at first, but realized I wouldn't be dragging my 360 around outside of the home lol. Also, I paid $217 for the 16GB, no taxes on that "No Tax School Week" at Wal Mart.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I got 16 cause that's what I could get right away. 8gb would been fine. I guess 16 will come handy when I travel though :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
This is one of those cases where what I got for myself isn't what I'd recommend for someone else. I bought the 8 gig because 50 dollars is a significant increase based on SD card prices. I can get a USB cable and load up for 50 bucks. That and my desktop has massive storage plus I plan on building a huge honking network drive for the sake of backups. In all it just didn't seem like I'd need the storage. My media is on the cloud after all.

However for someone else I'd say get the 16 and don't fret. A year from now you won't miss the 50 dollars but you may miss the 8 additional gigs of space.