Why is this listed as Asus Nexus 7?

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. I've realized something bizarre.

While the Galaxy Nexus phone was officially endorsed by Google, it was clear that the bulk of the marketing push was done by Samsung themselves and it made sense to label the device as the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on the Play Store listings.

However, I feel that the Nexus 7 has Google way more involved than Asus. Asus basically just manufactured the thing...everything else has been done by Google.

I know this might be trivial to most people, but why doesn't Google list the Nexus 7 as Google N7? Any reasons?

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Asus was already working on a new tablet ME370T and Google decided to team up on it.

Check your About Tablet in settings it says ME370T

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Where do you see it referred as the "ASUS Nexus 7"? I've not seen that branding anywhere. I always see it called the Google Nexus 7. I think maybe once I saw something like "Google Nexus 7 by ASUS".

If I go to Google's Nexus 7 page, the word "ASUS" can't even be found on the page.

And as Dralezero said, ASUS built this tablet before it even was a Nexus 7. Google saw it at CES, loved it and got together with ASUS to turn it into the Nexus 7. So ASUS pretty much had to build the tablet twice.

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Where do you see it referred as the "ASUS Nexus 7"? I've not seen that branding anywhere. I always see it called the Google Nexus 7. I think maybe once I saw something like "Google Nexus 7 by ASUS".

If I go to Google's Nexus 7 page, the word "ASUS" can't even be found on the page.

And as Dralezero said, ASUS built this tablet before it even was a Nexus 7. Google saw it at CES, loved it and got together with ASUS to turn it into the Nexus 7. So ASUS pretty much had to build the tablet twice.

Well go to Google Play App Store, and look at game reviews for any THD game. Example, search Puddle THD. All the recent reviews have their device stated as Asus Nexus 7.

Yes, that's why I am baffled, because officially Google calls it the Google Nexus 7 as well (unlike the Galaxy Nexus which Google referred to Samsung Galaxy Nexus).

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I suppose hypothetically someone buys there family member a N7. What is that you have there? Oh its this reader my son got for me. I can do emails and bubble gem pop games too. I got fed up with clunky computers. It says on the back it is a Asus Nexus.

Friend Google searches Asus nexus, no pages show up for buying. Finds Asus official page talking about it but no link to buy.

Ok if I overlooked something then thats the point because I don't see links to buy. And that's more of fault of Asus website and coordination with marketing no matter what it is called.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniellewc