Nexus 7 cant connect to wifi hotspot w/ galaxy S3

lbregister

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have been trying to find a solution before i posted on this thread, but cant seem to get an answer. I have a Samsung s3 from tmobile and the nexus 7. I was able to connect to the wifi hotspot 1 time, but now it wont connect. N7 keeps saying obtaining address or will loop saying connecting. When i refresh my wifi on the N7 it says wps failed try in a couple minutes. Does anyone have any clue why this is going on? I can connect to my wifi at home just fine. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Landon

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Is your hotspot ad-hoc (wext) or infrastructure (netd)? Android can't connect to ad-hoc wifi, only infrastructure.

If you connected once, I assume it was at one time infrastructure, just make sure it still is.

lbregister

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Good point. No where do you think i could find that info? I cant seem to find out from searching online nor on the phone. If it is Ad-hoc is there any way around this problem?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Look in the market. For wifi tethering. There are apps for rooted and unrooted. Foxfi has been mentioned but there are others. Download to your S3 and try some out.

Rootbrain

Reactions: lbregister

lbregister

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i am not having a problem with the 7 not connecting to wifi anywhere else. It just doesnt want to work with my s3 as a hotspot...did once and now nothing besides looping of obtaining ip address. Thanks for the ideas above, but nothing has seemed to work. Is anyone else having this specific problem between the nexus 7 and s3?

Thanks,
Landon

neurodx1

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Landon,

I don't know if you found a solution to your problem, but I had exactly the same issue and found a solution that I am going to post just in case there are others with the same problem. I just got the Nexus 7 and wanted to use my S3 with mobile hotspot for WiFi connection. The 7 recognized the S3 in it's list of available WiFi connections, but when I selected the S3, the connection got stuck in a loop toggling between "authenticating and connecting", but it never reached the point of obtaining an IP address. The 7 connects to the WiFi in my home environment and I can connect my iPad 2 to the S3. The iPad is listed with its MAC address in the allowed device list on the S3 under mobile Hotspot.

I obtained the MAC address from the 7 by going to "settings", "about tablet", then "status". I made the 7 an allowed device on the S3 with that MAC address, selected the 7 from the list and it connected in no time. I haven't had a problem since.

Jeet Pathak

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,
I am facing a similar issue with my S3 Mini's hotspot. My macbook pro and other android phones get connected with the S3 mini's hotspot but internet does not work. The status on both devices declares connected but no internet whereas my older android phones like galaxy ace's hotspot works fine with the same devices. I have configured the devices properly so all are 'allowed' devices. Please suggest.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've never had an issue tethering my N7 to my GSIII.

I use the "hotspotswitch" app to toggle the native tethering built into the phone (I'm on VZW fwiw.)

-Suntan

John Angevine

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone find a solution to this connection problem? I have the same issue. Other devices connect to my S3 Verizon Hotspot with not problem. But the Nexus 7 just keeps cycling/trying to connect.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a problem connecting to my S3 hotspot, so I don't know if this will work for you. If the hotspot is showing on your list, open it, hit Forget, then restart. Once it reboots, go back into the connection list and try reconnecting again. Let us know if that works.

fleishhacker

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have the Google Nexus 7 (new 2013 version) and have tried all the above with limited success. Sometimes it will connect but other times no. When it does connect it will often throw me off. I have used my Nexus 7 to connect to my S3 via bluetooth to access the internet on my Wifi only Nexus 7. Any disadvantages to solving the problem this way?

Thanks